Moreton Island This Weekend - Land Based

Ryan McHarg

Hey guys,

Going over for the weekend this weekend leaving Friday and coming back sunday on the Micat.  I will be land based and was hoping someone could give me a bit of a run down on a good sport to grab a feed over there.  I am going with the better half and a group who aren't that into fishing so I might only be able to get away for a few hours.  We're planning on staying close to the resort.  Any decent spots within a relatively quick drive that is worth a fish on the Eastern side of the island.  Last time there looked like there some pretty good gutters and I still think it is hard to go past a good feed of whiting.

Any time saving spots I can head straight to to maximise my time soaking a line would be much appreciated!

Hey mate.

The tailor should be in. On the eastern beach flick chromes and pillies at washy gutters particularly at high tide. Dusk and dawn are best but I dont know tides.

At low tide throw worms and pippies into the shallow gutters. Knee deep is all you need. You will get flathead bream dart and whiting. Live worms are the best. 

If staying at the resort the old jetty in front of the resort is great. Throw pillies and soft plastics in and around this. 

If you have more time soak large baits around where the barge comes in for Kingfish. LIvies are best if you can get them. 

all beaches both east and west side are worth a stab at for flatheads with soft plastics or pillies. 

Have fun

Awesome information @Drop Bear exactly what I was after.  I might try and get over the Eastern Beach one afternoon after I have driven them around doing the tourist attractions in the morning and sneak out at night and hit some of the other spots.  I'll take my live bait trap over (juice bottle :) ) and see what I can grab as a couple of live baits.  A kingfish off the shore would be a great little treat!

14 minutes ago, Ryan McHarg said:

A kingfish off the shore would be a great little treat!

Yep good luck mate. The landing area at the wrecks is a nice place to sit at night with some set lines out. I hope you get amongst them. Please put up a report and some photos of how you go. It is even ok if you don't catch any fish. We all just love to see those places and what is happening.

Looks like your weather is going to be absolutely mint on Saturday with a bit of a South Easter coming in on Sunday so try and get to the east beach on the Saturday. 

Managed to get a few hours fishing in over the weekend which was good considering it was more of a 'tourist' weekend.

Got some dart and bream from the eastern Side of the island, I forgot my bait in the freezer before I left so had a look for some pipis but ended up just using some chicken as I didn't have access to anything else (I don't have a cast net ), luckily it worked ok, but disappointed I didn't remember the worms I had preserved at home.  Went to the wrecks for a fish on Sunday afternoon while waiting for the ferry home and managed to grab a few long tom's on the sugarpen 70 surface lure which were a bit of fun on light gear.  They looked to be sitting about 2 - 5 meters from the dropoff from the beach and were pretty active chasing the lure, i missed many more that what I caught!  I had some bread in a juice bottle poddy mullet trap that I threw out to try and get some bait fish around, not sure if it was just in my head but it kept the bait fish around, which I can only assume kept the long toms around.  I only put the lure on after noticing they were giving the little schools a hard time.

All round good weekend, the weather was perfect!

On 5/21/2018 at 11:40 AM, Ryan McHarg said:

Went to the wrecks for a fish on Sunday afternoon while waiting for the ferry home and managed to grab a few long tom's on the sugarpen 70 surface lure which were a bit of fun on light gear.  They looked to be sitting about 2 - 5 meters from the dropoff from the beach and were pretty active chasing the lure, i missed many more that what I caught!

Did you get any pics? they sound like my favourite - Pike. Great fun on a surface lure. Best live bait going and good eating too. :)

Archived