Northern Moreton Bay Sunday 24 June 2018

Poddymullet

Got to admit I love fishing with light gear in 4-5m of crystal clear water with almost no wind and the sun shining! 

That was my Sunday in the Northern Bay...oh yeah and plenty of winter whiting to throw into the mix 🙂

On the water by 6 at Scarborough thanks to a mate joining ... makes using my auto hitch worth the $500! 

Wanted to see if we could get into some Snapper on the north reef with the SW and outgoing tide. Plenty of boats already anchored up with lines heading towards the Tripod Beacon so opted for a couple of drifts across the shallows between the reef and Redcliffe. Not much luck so anchored and and started a pilchard trail...10 mins later Bream everywhere! Couple of keepers (just) but threw them back for another day. 

Was getting past 8 and thought we might try the measured mile but decided to drop into Redcliffe first to get a coffee and B&E bad boy - very civilised must say pulling up to the beach and getting breaky 🙂

Started to head east to the beacons but could see it was going to get a bit bumpy and this late in the year most probably meant we would be bobbing around for not a lot. 

Thought about the wind and pretty confident there was going to be whiting headed north for cockle banks and do some light line fishing and just chilling out...

Plenty of boats around and the bay really turned on one of those days that makes it so awesome! 

Heaps of whiting around ... just drifted south to north...so much fun on 2-4kg kit just love it! 

Was using squid strips and cured worms (shop bought) and everything got smashed including lots of lizards...got smoked a couple of times - brings a massive grin to my dial every time on this light stuff! 

Only took about 10 home between but could have bagged out if we wanted to. 

Might hit it next week too as whiting is always welcome by the kids in my house! 

5 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sounds like a fun day out mate, well done. Try keeping the whiting heads and use them for snapper bait - I haven't done it yet but am planning to this winter (I'd better get cracking ..... 🙂). You could also keep the frames and chop them up for berley.

Yeah mate ... took your advice but got literally no hits during the hour I was at North Reef ... squid and pillies got smashed though. Still going to keep trying ... hang on just the heads? I was using the whole frame with head attached. Try heads next time 🙂

Archived