boat refit

Brian D

I have an old 4.70 Cruisecraft Spirit 98 runabout model that I am going to turn into a river / bay fishing boat. I've done a few things like adding the fish finder/sounder and a GPS but still heaps to do. It has back to back seats suitable for skiing that take up 1.2mts of deck space so they gotta come out. Problem is there is a fiberglass tray moulded into the floor under each seat - like an open storage section. I was thinking about cutting the storage trays off slightly above the floor line. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'll attach a photo when I can locate where wifie has put the disk.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Angus, and yeah it is pretty sweet, and I am stoked to have it. But here's the thing, it is a pain to fish from when catching sharks or anthing of size. Between the middle seats and the transon there is less then half a metre. Not enough room to drop a shark. IE the sharks you saw on Fishnet (3 Bullies and 6 Schools) were only half the catch. I couldn't get the bigger sharks into the boat. As is was I nearly got my leg bit. The seats are over a metre long., they gotta come out and put single swing seats in to make more space. THe other thing is, sad to say, I have trashed the boat a bit. I am usally on my own and the glass bottom gets stuffed by the cement ramps and rocks when retreiveing and setting out. It was origionally purchased as a family ski/runabout but now the kids aren't interested and the wife couldn't give a toss. It was never meant to be a fishing boat but that's what I got so I gotta refit or buy another boat. As I will never get my money back that I paid and it goes great I think the bets option ti the refit.

Mate that was one of my fave pics.

Nine sharks in one sitting you must have been stoked.

Regarding your boat i really cant think of what you could do to make more room for sharks short of tailing them to the side?? But obiviously if you have nine of the suckers this would be a problem. Maybe smaller seats? But the ones you have look pretty damn comfy. Either way if you ever want a fishing mate on one of those shark hunts dont hesitate to ask!!! :P

Mate ill resize that pic as well and post it here as im sure there are a few others who will get a kick out of it.

Angus.

yeh what angus said.... just cut bits off the sides and top and bottom that you dont need or just shirnk the image and make sure u save it with .jped at the end or .doc and thers another one but cant remember it :S

cheers, troy

p.s. live bait tanks are the way to go

Well done on catching the sharks.

Did you catch them from the River or the Bay?

In the summer months the best spot I have found for catching sharks is by drifting back and forth in the deep water between Green Island and King Island.

Unfortunately though during the winter months you won't catch any in this location.

Louis

Improvements so far. Off with the Binimi and clears, out with a seat, in with a GPS and hummingbird fish finder, added a rod holder each side and an 3 rack upright rod holder up front. Next jobs will be to change the single battery to a duel battery system for the live bait tank, new radio and extra lighting. Then a 6 rod horizontal holder (cause the rods when in the upright one get in the road when casting lures and plastics).

Hi Kazabri,

Sounds like you are getting stuck into it. I also find my rods in my 6 rod vertical rack get in the way (sometimes) so I will be looking at putting in a horizontal rack on my return. Not sure where I will be able to place it yet though where it will be functional, yet out of the way.

Are you going to attempt the single to dual battery system yourself? Why are you going to duel batteries, is it due to a electric troll motor as well, or just for safety due to the extra drain from lighting etc?

I placed lighting in mine as well. I got a few of those single flouros (about $19 each from SuperCheap) and wired these under the Gunwhales and they are great. Light up the bottom of the boat without shining in th eyes and they draw minimal power, fantastic.

Good luck with it all, great project (and somewhere to put all that hard earned money):ohmy:

Cheers,

MickB)

Thats sweet.

Im investing in a decent boat but it wont be till next year.

But thats the kind of thing i want.

Its got the room and comfort i desire as when i go out i like to be out for a while!

How do you find stading and casting though?

The only other thing i can see myself wanting on a boat would be some more flat casting areas?

Angus.

Ever since I took the first lot of seats out I find the boat good for casting now, but it was crap before. That's why I am changing the set up. Funny thing is I needed a place for the rods to be kept when not in use,so I installed a upright 3 rod holder and it does the trick but the rods now get in the way when casting. Also they increase noise when travelling at speed. So I am going to change it again. But it down to a learning thing.

Yeah Terry it is - in fact I have it set up to take 5 rods in the bait board, sides and transom but they still get in the way. (see new photo middle bottom of shot.

When drift fishing the boat tends to spin around and the line gets caught on the rod sticking up. One SP technique I use is to feed slack line out with the current and same thing, the line often get blown on to the rod and I miss the strike while un tangling the bugger.

The rods have gotta go below deck or at least rail hight. I was thinking to take out the side pocket you can see running the length of the floor and installing a 6 rack (horizontial) below the sides. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Copy_of_040602_008.jpg

post-118-144598399298_thumb.jpg

New carpet. Now I pulled out the old seats I have 2 big holes in the carpet. Has anyone every replaced carpet before? Do I pull the old stuff up and put new stuff down? If I patch the holes with inserts will that be successful? Can I lay new carpet straight over the old carprt, thinking that it might feel nice under foot being thicker or double layers.

Gave it a test run today. Still a bit more work to be done. I need to find another way to attach the seat to the floor. It's already a bit loose and the position is not perfect. I might put the buccet seat on the first mate side and get a box seat for the helm. Radio works but the antenna gets in the road of the acnhor hatch door. Bugger: need to reposition the antenna, that means two holes in the hull. The new oversize battery is a ripper.

THe pic only show half the catch, there were bigger ones I couldn't get in the boat, nor did I want too.

And yeah the ski boat to fishing boat is coming on realy great. Nearly finished. The crappy weather last weekend helped. I spent 2 days on it.

Bucket seat is repositioned and strengthened to the floor. NIce fit now but I had to customize the adjusting pole without buggering the swivel.

Carpet is done and is nice and new for the momement, be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I set a a temp live tank for the weigh in at the BBQ. Lets hope I can catch something to put in it.

I sorted out a temp horizonital rod storage that works for now but not perfect.

I gave it a 2nd teat run last Monday and it worked beautiful. I wil do a final post and updated photo next chance I get.

Spot on Timbo - thats where it wil be going but a bit lower. I can get them to partly go under the front end past where the esky is. Also behind the inside of the gunwale there is a nice storage area. In the photo you can see a reel poking out just above the blue shelf and behind the rope below the red lines.The shelf can come out and the rack in there. This way I can get the reels out of the weather when not in use. But I haven't figured out what to use as the rack. I can't find one at the shops so I may have to customize. Any ideas?

Finished for now. After todays catch I think I better focus on fishing rather then fitouts.

Summary and Aim.

To turn a perfectly neat ski boat into a usefull river and bay fishing boat.

List of changes and improvments as follows:

Transom Bait Board with 2 Rocket lancher rod holders

Duel fuel tanks system (now carries 60lts which is 6hrs travel)

Removed back seats to make room for bait bucket and live bucket.

Installed two rod holders on gunwales (1 each side) for trolling

New oversize cranking battery to allow for extra load

Removed 4 seats and installed 1 pedestal bucket seat with swival.

(heaps of deck space and casting room now)

Add slide under bucket seat so adjust comfort for standing or sitting while driving.

New carpet, New anchor

New 3 stack vertical rod holder

New GPS and VHF Marine Radio

New deck fluro lights (thanks mick)

Note that all changes can be undone and the boat can be converted back to a ski baot with tow bar and back to back seats within about 15 mins

Total cost about $1800 (cheaper then a new boat)

[img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/250606_008.jpg

post-118-14459839938_thumb.jpg

kazabri wrote:

When drift fishing the boat tends to spin around and the line gets caught on the rod sticking up.

Use a sea anchor, or a bucket on a rope. Toss it in, tie it to the point you want to point up current, then unless the breeze is stiff, boat will point the way you want for the drift.

If necessary use 2.

Yeah we have actually used a bucket on a rope about 6 times now on a boat 23 foot. So you would not think it would work. But give just that little bit more for it to pull on, and sometimes that little bit is all you need.

If you want to see the boat im talking about check Johnny's profile picture. Its a pic of his dad hauling a 12 foot tiger over the mast!!!

Funnily enough John was born 9 months later hahaha.

Must have been a good night!

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Latest new part to the boat is a universal 85 ice box with water custom proof water seal.It doubles as a kill tank, seat, casting platform and a storage box depending on needs.

I also picked up a 30lite live bait tank with a water proof seal. I needed this cause my temp live tank was great for keeping the bait alive but was not water tight and by the time I got from the bait fields to the fishing hole there was water all over my new carpet.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/16 21:17

I'm still working on the aft casting deck but I can't find the right rails. I am looking for a split rail (left and rifgt side) to the perfectionist port and starboard side, hip hight rails at the perfect angle to the bow! I can't get the angle right. Does anyone have any ideas, please. Remember the split is to accomdiate the anchor and I want to get the elect motor in here somewhere!

Do they make elect motors with extended shafts?

Help again! What's the thought - If I mounted an electric motor on the outside rear section opposte the ladder, would it work?

Thinking that the bow and the rear will both be casting platforms! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/boatelec.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/23 20:53

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/23 20:55

post-118-144598399731_thumb.jpg

Archived