Lure Or Jig Head Protection When Travelling

bulldogs195461

15 hours ago, bulldogs195461 said:

Hi all

When I travel with my rods, I've usually got a lure or jig head on and of course they snag everything on my vehicle, plus if I carry them on a boat the same problem. Is there anything locally you can get that wraps or snaps around them to prevent this problem when travelling. 

Cheers john 

I am a bit lazy so have to deal with the tangles too. 

The best think I have seen is you remove the lure and tie the line under one of the runners with a clove hitch. This saves threading the line back through the runners and you only need one knot and you are fishing again. 

There are quite a few things you can buy that go over the lures or hooks so they dont catch but I am a tight ass so cant recommend. 

On 12/02/2019 at 2:32 PM, Luvit said:

A velcro rod wrap would do the job and it's re useable.

I'm with Luvit, I've found velcro to be one of those great inventions that has so many different applications and as stated, it's reusable.

I was wandering through an open air market a few years back and come across a stall where a bloke and his wife were selling nothing but velcro in various widths and lengths, so I bought a roll of 10 mm x 20 metres. I cut a heap of pieces in useful lengths and stashed them in the car, in the tackle bag, in the toolbox, in the caravan, in numerous places around the shed and even a couple of bits in the kitchen, until the wife decided that 'enough was enough.'

A man can never have too much velcro - or fishing gear. 😁

Jeff

On 17/02/2019 at 6:55 AM, snafu said:

I'm with Luvit, I've found velcro to be one of those great inventions that has so many different applications and as stated, it's reusable.

I was wandering through an open air market a few years back and come across a stall where a bloke and his wife were selling nothing but velcro in various widths and lengths, so I bought a roll of 10 mm x 20 metres. I cut a heap of pieces in useful lengths and stashed them in the car, in the tackle bag, in the toolbox, in the caravan, in numerous places around the shed and even a couple of bits in the kitchen, until the wife decided that 'enough was enough.'

A man can never have too much velcro - or fishing gear. 😁

Jeff

haha pro tip though. I need to do that to my eski so it doesn't slip on the floor. Do you think I need to screw the velcro to the eski so it doesn't peel off? 

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha pro tip though. I need to do that to my eski so it doesn't slip on the floor. Do you think I need to screw the velcro to the eski so it doesn't peel off? 

Robbie, the velcro I use is the one piece type with 'hooks' on one side and 'loops' on the other - the same as those commercially made rod wraps. You can get the other type that is 2 piece, i.e 'hooks' on one bit and 'loops' on the other bit. These are usually sold with an adhesive backing, but from experience, the glue used is not the best for long term application. There is also another 2 piece type without adhesive that is used by canvas goods manufacturers - use your own glue.

Jeff

Archived