Poddymullet

queensland Fishing Report - Nautical Mile Saturday 9 Feb 2019

Nice work mate - I need to get an electric for my boat sometime. bit hard to tell in the photo - did it have a black tip on the dorsal fin. If so then possibly a black-tip reef shark. Either way if it was just under 1.5m it would be good eating if flakes your thing.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice work mate - I need to get an electric for my boat sometime. bit hard to tell in the photo - did it have a black tip on the dorsal fin. If so then possibly a black-tip reef shark. Either way if it was just under 1.5m it would be good eating if flakes your thing.

Thanks @kmcrosby78 for the ID ... I thought it might be a reefy but that far into the bay and around the nautical mile beacon? Not that much reef around at all. I love flake (coming from down south), but never confident on how to sort the shark out from the fillets

Please login or register to view this image
I believe you have to cut the tail off and let them bleed out that way....

17 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Happy to report that both work well and the Scout is even better than before. I can now see why they say an electric will change your fishing forever.

They will catch you way more prawns to if you stay over the school when other boats drift off them.

2 hours ago, christophagus said:

id call it a small dusky whaler, plenty about in the bay. Chances of a reefy around the mile would be pretty slim. Plus i think black tips have a higher dorsal fin than what this little shark has

I bow to Christophangus's greater knowledge of sharks and retract my guess

52 minutes ago, christophagus said:

id call it a small dusky whaler, plenty about in the bay. Chances of a reefy around the mile would be pretty slim. Plus i think black tips have a higher dorsal fin than what this little shark has

Yeah I thought a reefy would be a bit weird in that colour water too

I take it dusky whaler are good to eat but need a bit treatment beforehand...