Fishing Report - Nautical Mile Saturday 9 Feb 2019

Poddymullet

Hi AFO'ers,

Hit the nautical mile on Saturday to give the new MotorGuide and Merc90CT. 

Happy to report that both work well and the Scout is even better than before. I can now see why they say an electric will change your fishing forever. Being able to move around the beacon without anchoring quiet as a mouse is just awesome. 

So easy to catch live bait this way..

I was hoping to get onto some Macks but they seem to be somewhere else apart from a stray undersize. 

Had a couple livies get smashed hook line and sinker ... 

Then this ol' chap decided to grab and run...he / she might have been the original culprit as well. 

Doesn't look like a bull shark anyone got any ideas? Was released for another day. 

Pulled up stumps and headed towards Tangalooma to get some more hours on the engine. Could see some bust ups here and there but could get anything to take a bite. 

I knew the engine upgrade was the right choice when I was sitting on 4400 and was doing 26kts and had to keep checking the engine was on! 

Also love being able to use the Lowrance to control the motor guide ... bloody handy with that shark as I just hit a couple of arrows and took myself away! 

Not the most successful day but loved it anyway! 

Tight lines

image.thumb.png.218af97f3a1c29f0afa028a1d43bc2de.png

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice work mate - I need to get an electric for my boat sometime. bit hard to tell in the photo - did it have a black tip on the dorsal fin. If so then possibly a black-tip reef shark. Either way if it was just under 1.5m it would be good eating if flakes your thing.

Thanks @kmcrosby78 for the ID ... I thought it might be a reefy but that far into the bay and around the nautical mile beacon? Not that much reef around at all. I love flake (coming from down south), but never confident on how to sort the shark out from the fillets 🙂 I believe you have to cut the tail off and let them bleed out that way....

17 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Happy to report that both work well and the Scout is even better than before. I can now see why they say an electric will change your fishing forever.

They will catch you way more prawns to if you stay over the school when other boats drift off them.😉

52 minutes ago, christophagus said:

id call it a small dusky whaler, plenty about in the bay. Chances of a reefy around the mile would be pretty slim. Plus i think black tips have a higher dorsal fin than what this little shark has

Yeah I thought a reefy would be a bit weird in that colour water too 😛 I take it dusky whaler are good to eat but need a bit treatment beforehand...

Archived