Replacing Prawn Net Chain

Old Scaley

Last year I decided I wanted to get into netting for prawns so I purchased a well known brand from a reputable tackle store. It is a 12 foot top pocket with chain. It was not on display so I stupidly bought it sight unseen, still in a sealed bucket. When I unpackaged it at home, I was surprised to see that the chain was steel, not lead. I had few practices throws in the back yard and found it really difficult. Then I noticed that the links were not all completely closed and the net was catching in these open links so I spent hours inspecting each link and closing them with multigrips. 

First outing I really struggled to throw a good open net. I thought maybe it was just heavier than my 12 foot drawstring bait net. Then work, weather and life meant that I didn’t use it again until a couple of weeks ago.  Went out on the tinny and had a few casts.  When I pulled it out of the bucket, the chain was rusty and ugly. Tried a number of casts and just could not get it to open nicely. I am not a champion cast netter but I can throw a 12 foot net fairly consistently but not this one.

i am thinking I might try to replace the steel chain with a lead chain. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will help or is it the net that is the problem. Shouldn’t be too hard to do but most of these things end up being harder than they look. Can’t find anything on the www or YouTube. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Hi Scaley

Know nothing about cast nets, however could you replace it with some galvanised chain , you can buy it per metre at most hardware store, replacing the old chain with the new one should be straight forward enough if you tie the new chain to the old chain with a strong rubber band or something that won't catch on the net, as you pull the old chain out you should be able to pull the new chain in , sounds ok in theory but never actually done it with a prawn net😏

I do a fair bit of prawning and have three or four different nets. All have gal chain and work fine, I’ve never heard of any one putting lead chain on before ( not saying it’s not a thing just haven’t heard of it) what brand of net are you running? When replacing chain have a think about where your gonna target prawns the most and select weight accordingly. The heavier the chain the more prawns you’ll catch as it sinks much faster. I have a net that I use specifically for the deep water spots like salt works but it’s more effort to throw and not needed for shallow water spots like the pine or Redlands. I rinse my nets throughly after each use to avoid rust issues. Hope some of this helps. When buying nets I always stick to using some of the old school blokes who still make them there are few really good makers out there. You may pay a bit more than a mass produced net but they will custom make net to your liking with things like chain weight drop length and amount of rope needed. These guys also come in handy for the inevitable net repairs. ( god damn pine river is snag city)

There you go Scaley, I brought all of the closet galvanised chain prawn net throwers out for you, looks like the gal chains a goer, I would get on to Jon he looks to be da go to man😎

1 hour ago, jon said:

I do a fair bit of prawning and have three or four different nets. All have gal chain and work fine, I’ve never heard of any one putting lead chain on before ( not saying it’s not a thing just haven’t heard of it) what brand of net are you running? When replacing chain have a think about where your gonna target prawns the most and select weight accordingly. The heavier the chain the more prawns you’ll catch as it sinks much faster. I have a net that I use specifically for the deep water spots like salt works but it’s more effort to throw and not needed for shallow water spots like the pine or Redlands. I rinse my nets throughly after each use to avoid rust issues. Hope some of this helps. When buying nets I always stick to using some of the old school blokes who still make them there are few really good makers out there. You may pay a bit more than a mass produced net but they will custom make net to your liking with things like chain weight drop length and amount of rope needed. These guys also come in handy for the inevitable net repairs. ( god damn pine river is snag city)

Thanks @ellicat @MSB@Luvit and @jonfor your advice. Really valuable. Why didn’t I think of gal?  @jon, do you think 3mm gal chain would be heavy enough?  And, do you know what I should use to attach the chain to the net? Looks like the one have now (Wilson, by the way) uses some sort of 3 strand nylon twine. I was thinking about 40lb nylon fishing line. Thanks again, wise ones.

20 minutes ago, rayke1938 said:

Ifyou are fair dinkum about prawning bite the bullet and get a new custom made net your first 2 buckets of prawns will well and truely cover the cost.

Cheers

Ray

Have come around to that line of thinking @rayke1938. Tried googling prawnin Pete but can’t seem to find anything other than a contact link from somewhere else. Have you got a link you could share?

If you go see Pete and buy a net from him he will tell you how to put the chain on the old net. Then keep the Wilson one as a backup. Nothing worse than ripping a four foot hole in your net during a hot session and having to go home when everyone else is catching. Or even worse sending your net in for repairs and not being able to go out for a week or two when their running thick.

I took a photo for you of two of my nets. They use a nylon/synthetic thread to attach the chain. It is threaded through the chain and net. I think a very heavy braid would also work. Also heat shrink is used for the one link that you’ll have to cut and open then re-close to join your two ends of the chain. This will stop the net fouling from catching itself on the chain link. Fingers crossed this bloody oma system brings some rain and I might see you out there. Goodluck!4C6A0A50-5B7C-49F7-8705-967535FD8964.thumb.jpeg.cfe61aa28fcc472d2e46701f74081ba6.jpeg

Now worries mate happy to help. Try Pete his nets are good. If he dosnt have something ready to go you can try Murv, his Facebook is throwmurvs Castnets. He made my first net for me many moons ago and after many prawns and many repairs it still catches. I can pm you numbers of one or two other quality blokes if you need but they are all pretty similar in quality and price as murv and Pete. One last tip not trying to spruke another forum but make sure you follow the 2019 prawning season thread on nuggets forum it’s invaluble info on when and where the prawns are found

9 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks heaps @jon.  I will give Pete a call on Monday. Really appreciate all the advice.

Good Thread mate I learned a lot. 

I also have a gall chain 12 foot top pocket. It throws pretty well. Its pretty good quality but if I had the money I would go get one from Prawning Pete. 

Prawning Pete is the guy that came to the Wynnum Fishing Festival last year. He is planning to come along again this year. @Luvit  aka not Jon taught me a good way to throw. It is not the perfect pancake but makes up for being very fast with set up and very reliable with a large spread. I find the left side is sometimes not perfect but pretty good. 

Shame Oma was a dud. Was a lot like a politician, lots of wind but nothing we could use. I'm sure the keen surfers would argue otherwise. 🙂

I'm back to bucketing water to trees to keep them alive...

53 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Good Thread mate I learned a lot. 

I also have a gall chain 12 foot top pocket. It throws pretty well. Its pretty good quality but if I had the money I would go get one from Prawning Pete. 

Prawning Pete is the guy that came to the Wynnum Fishing Festival last year. He is planning to come along again this year. @Luvit  aka not Jon taught me a good way to throw. It is not the perfect pancake but makes up for being very fast with set up and very reliable with a large spread. I find the left side is sometimes not perfect but pretty good. 

Shame Oma was a dud. Was a lot like a politician, lots of wind but nothing we could use. I'm sure the keen surfers would argue otherwise. 🙂

I'm back to bucketing water to trees to keep them alive...

Very frustrating that we got no rain out of that system. Half the garden is dead because I believed the weather forecast and didn’t water for a few days! 

@Drop Bear, let’s go prawning when the wind dies and you can show me @not jon’s technique?

If anyone is keen to get out and have a crack I’d be trying Caboolture river IMO as has been the best lately. Launch from Monty’s marina ( you may hear banjos playing as you enter lol) park outside on road or leave you ph number visible on dash  if you park up near the boats In case they have to move some boats. Turn right and hit the next 10 or so bends in the river with deeper holes. Try an hour either side of a tide change but the highs have been best for me. Few pics from last season for inspiration. Also tip, when freezing prawns cooked or green fully submerge in saltwater in Chinese containers, milk bottles or ice cream tubs etc and they will come out great when thawed for a few months

E1EC293F-60B4-4A99-AADF-11E5BF5AE9D5.thumb.jpeg.1abc8ad0dda69a0a81ce0358ab22c297.jpeg6AA9F718-3183-4383-9461-9AB89A76AE58.thumb.jpeg.a1436b9b28370b350d08863d61c91f22.jpegF9C958D4-1242-4706-AA98-BBCD1748065F.thumb.jpeg.2bc9d886b8f3691c3e6477107d826aea.jpeg 

2 hours ago, jon said:

If anyone is keen to get out and have a crack I’d be trying Caboolture river IMO as has been the best lately. Launch from Monty’s marina ( you may hear banjos playing as you enter lol) park outside on road or leave you ph number visible on dash  if you park up near the boats In case they have to move some boats. Turn right and hit the next 10 or so bends in the river with deeper holes. Try an hour either side of a tide change but the highs have been best for me. Few pics from last season for inspiration. Also tip, when freezing prawns cooked or green fully submerge in saltwater in Chinese containers, milk bottles or ice cream tubs etc and they will come out great when thawed for a few months

Pro tip mate thanks not Luvit.  

I saw some good sized ones flicking in Wynnum Creek yesterday. I might go have a few practice throws tomorrow. 

On 24/02/2019 at 4:34 PM, jon said:

E1EC293F-60B4-4A99-AADF-11E5BF5AE9D5.thumb.jpeg.1abc8ad0dda69a0a81ce0358ab22c297.jpeg6AA9F718-3183-4383-9461-9AB89A76AE58.thumb.jpeg.a1436b9b28370b350d08863d61c91f22.jpegF9C958D4-1242-4706-AA98-BBCD1748065F.thumb.jpeg.2bc9d886b8f3691c3e6477107d826aea.jpeg 

That is just cruel @jon  Showing us those sort of photos when it is too windy to get out!

I bit the bullet today and called Prawnin Pete.  He had some nets ready to go so I am now the proud owner of a brand new custom made 12 foot top pocket net with gal chain and 20 metres of rope for those deeper holes. Really nice bloke. Gave me a couple of lessons on a new (to me) technique and sent me home to practice. It is chalk and cheese with the old net. It just lies nicely and at 6kg it is 2.5 kg lighter than the other one. Can’t wait to get out and have a crack at some prawns but I will spend a few days just practicing in the back yard while the wind is up. Just hope I don’t throw it onto an old car body first cast - lucky my wife loves prawns!

@Drop Bear, he is keen to be at the Moreton Bay Classic again.

Thanks for your help everyone. Much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

That is just cruel @jon  Showing us those sort of photos when it is too windy to get out!

I bit the bullet today and called Prawnin Pete.  He had some nets ready to go so I am now the proud owner of a brand new custom made 12 foot top pocket net with gal chain and 20 metres of rope for those deeper holes. Really nice bloke. Gave me a couple of lessons on a new (to me) technique and sent me home to practice. It is chalk and cheese with the old net. It just lies nicely and at 6kg it is 2.5 kg lighter than the other one. Can’t wait to get out and have a crack at some prawns but I will spend a few days just practicing in the back yard while the wind is up. Just hope I don’t throw it onto an old car body first cast - lucky my wife loves prawns!

Thanks Olc Scaley,

Yep I have been chatting to him. It will be great to have him there. He has also pledged to donate a net again. We need to work out a way to get a stack of money for it. Perhaps an online raffle on the prawning facebook pages? Dunno if that would work...

Any ideas? 

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

First few times you go to a new area just watch where everyone else is casting first. Should keep you clear of most snags, also utilise down or structure scan if u have that on your sounder it will pick up the major snags

Archived