Covid-19 Chat

kmcrosby78

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think, technically yes. However you could always assume you don't like jew and you're hunting snapper.

Hey ellicat

Yes, I think if you already have a feed (i.e. lets say I caught some bream) and then caught a jew, I could let it go. That is as well as what you said.

I need to get what I'm wearing and the food for tomorrow sorted now, we are going to be gone early so I don't want to be goofing around. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂  

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

If you let it go it's very unlikely someone will have seen it and even less likely they will quiz you about it, and if they did you'd just say you'd read they get worms in them (bigger ones do .... 🙂) and that you are chasing smaller plate size fish (bream, flathead, etc) as you prefer their taste 🙂 

Hey kmcrosby78

Alright, yes, today I wasn't chasing anything massive for a feed, just stuff like bream, flathead, legal squire, and crabs.

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Starting yesterday you are allowed to go on the water for recreation so no need to keep any fish if you don’t want to.

Hi Old Scaley

Thanks for clarifying, I never heard anything on the news about the actual rules on the water so I just wanted to be sure.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

11 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I think what you say is correct, butthe issue is the practicality of maintaining 1.5 metres between you (and your sons) and the 4th person.

Hi ellicat

Yes, I suppose it is. Do you have to maintain social distancing between family members on the water though? 

11 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Friday does look good @GregOug. I will give you a wave if I see you go past.

Hey Old Scaley

LOL, I'm starting to wish I could go out on the yak again. Time doesn't allow though, I wish the weather last Sunday was a bit better though. 😉 

5 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Unless you are interested in coming out with me Old Scaley. Trying to find a reef spot in the bay. Just found out both my sons have to work on Friday now.

Hey GregOug

Good luck, will you be sounding around and just looking out of the blue for one or will you be closer to a known mark? Shame your sons had work too, I think people having work is like me having school, LOL. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

55 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi ellicat

Yes, I suppose it is. Do you have to maintain social distancing between family members on the water though? 

Hey Old Scaley

LOL, I'm starting to wish I could go out on the yak again. Time doesn't allow though, I wish the weather last Sunday was a bit better though. 😉 

Hey GregOug

Good luck, will you be sounding around and just looking out of the blue for one or will you be closer to a known mark? Shame your sons had work too, I think people having work is like me having school, LOL. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Hi Hamish, 

I will go a general area where I have some marks and scout around

I actually think you can't take the +1. From this offical page (https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/gatherings)

This means from Saturday, May 2, you can:

• Go for a drive (teach a learner driver from your household)
  • Ride a motorbike
  • Have a picnic
  • Visit a national park (Check which parks are open)
  • Shop in places already open
  • Fish
  • Go boating

But there are three conditions:

1. You must practice social distancing and stay 1.5m from others and hygiene must be maintained;
  2. You must only be joined by the people who usually live with you or one other person who doesn't live with you
  3. You must stay within 50km of your home

So, taking the family is fine, or taking one non family member is fine - but you can't do both (according to point 2).

Questions about the social distancing are also valid.

Of course, I could be wrong - it has happened before 🙂

Hey GregOug

Yes, it could be. I think if you go out with another person (who doesn't live with you) they couldn't fine you for it, as the restrictions aren't as clear.

On the flip side, if they saw you weren't applying social distancing rules, if they came over, they may be able to. As long as you are distancing, I think you'll be fine. 

Hey marty

Thanks for the input, so basically you interpret it as if I was fishing with a mate, my father couldn't come along, but if I was fishing with my father, my mate couldn't come along. 

I suppose they are both good opinions and interpretations of the rules. At the end of the day, they can't blame us because if we don't find them clear, we can't decide. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

Hey GregOug

I think while they are easing restrictions, social distancing still applies. I just heard on Nine News. So basically, depending on how many people can hop on your boat with in a 1.5 metre radius of one another is how many people can hop on your boat. (i.e. my kayak can fit my Dad and I approximately 1.5m away from one another, so if I were to be with someone who didn't live in my household, no one else except me and them could be on the kayak. If your boat can fit 10 people safely social distanced, you could have ten people). That is what I am interpreting it currently, anyways, I'm happy to be corrected. 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

15 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I can't help yet. Haven't caught up with today's goings on.

Have to say I'm getting sick of the news being dominated by this stuff all day every day.

Hey ellicat

Yes, I totally agree. For a good part of half the news they just crap on about the restrictions, and then eventually the say ... And now to the day's other news... LOL

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Here's a link to the Qld government page. Haven't read it yet but it might be helpful -

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/?fbclid=IwAR1hRxDmolc9eJ8BmhFwOs3y4W2g0Pv0K8UvtwdkFpqhRMWqLwqF6uN53wU

Also this -

EXd7O5kU4AMBpGN.thumb.jpg.361bc5e5a044dab42b170f5a5dfc9112.jpg

Not very clear (to see or understand when it comes to fishing)

It would make sense that if you can have 10 people in a group, then you could have 10 people in your boat. However nothing seems to be clear. Do you still need to maintain 1.5 metres ?

Maybe contact your local member.

Remember you still have the 1.5m distancing rules on a boat so most tinnies are still only you plus one other OR a group from the same household.

There is still some confusion about numbers of people on boats as some are classing a boat as an enclosed area so same rules apply as being indoors.

Also be vary wary of anything QLD Fisheries are posting up as they have been wrong on a number of occasions.

Right now I am trying to find out the law for travelling outside the current 50km radius as QLD Fisheries have just publicly stated that we can travel further than 50km (Brisbane to 1770) for essential food gathering to feed our families but when I spoke to both the Police and Water Police today, they flatley said no and that QLD Fisheries have got it wrong again.

Water Police directed me to the QLD Health website where I can submit a question to get an answer to my original question and what ever QLD Health say is what the current law is regardless of what Fisheries and the Police say.

I will post up the reply from QLD Health once I hear back from them.

Below is the reply that I recieved from QLF Fisheries 2 days ago.

Fisheries Queensland Lance. 

Hi Lance,

Please see advice from Queensland Health. If you are leaving the house to fish for essential reasons and it is necessary to feed your family, you are permitted to travel over the permitted 50 km, but you must use common sense.

Hey GregOug

That is great news that we can go out again, but I suppose the 10 people rule won't really help on tinnes or boats, unless they're bigger and can fit ten people safely onboard.

Hey aussie123

It's good that you might be able to go to 1770 to feed your family, hopefully the response you get back from QLD Health is a good one 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Remember you still have the 1.5m distancing rules on a boat so most tinnies are still only you plus one other OR a group from the same household.

There is still some confusion about numbers of people on boats as some are classing a boat as an enclosed area so same rules apply as being indoors.

Also be vary wary of anything QLD Fisheries are posting up as they have been wrong on a number of occasions.

Right now I am trying to find out the law for travelling outside the current 50km radius as QLD Fisheries have just publicly stated that we can travel further than 50km (Brisbane to 1770) for essential food gathering to feed our families but when I spoke to both the Police and Water Police today, they flatley said no and that QLD Fisheries have got it wrong again.

Water Police directed me to the QLD Health website where I can submit a question to get an answer to my original question and what ever QLD Health say is what the current law is regardless of what Fisheries and the Police say.

I will post up the reply from QLD Health once I hear back from them.

Below is the reply that I recieved from QLF Fisheries 2 days ago.

Fisheries Queensland Lance. 

Hi Lance,

Please see advice from Queensland Health. If you are leaving the house to fish for essential reasons and it is necessary to feed your family, you are permitted to travel over the permitted 50 km, but you must use common sense.

Um. The new rules that Qld Agriculture and Fisheries set out above come into effect this Saturday and you can travel 150km for all sorts of reasons, not just boating. You say you asked ‘police’ and ‘water police’ who said fisheries are wrong again. Which sections of those departments are you directing your questions to? I find it unusual that any authorised departmental spokesperson would infer another department was releasing incorrect information. What was the actual wording of the question you put to these departments to receive those replies?