Headland Fishing Help!!

ggg

Hello everyone,

Once Yarrabah opens up, I will be trying my luck on it's headlands. I was just wanting some advice. Does anyone know of landbased barra, fingermark, jacks etc. been caught of False Cape or near it? I have seen some films fishing there but nothing but grunter and little fish. I will be throwing soft plastics and bait fishing. I cannot cast net off the rocks but will be throwing the net near the Yarrabah boat ramp. Should I be throwing my baits and lures as far as possible or just put them near the rocks. I do know for a fact that a headland right next to false cape (Kings Point) is a gun fingermark spot. This can only be accessed by boat though. Thank you for all your help.

Hi Jaz44

I haven't had any experience with it before (another thing I hope to do one day) but here are some websites I found with a quick search. They are not in your area, but I'm hoping you should be able to pick up a few generalised tips from them if you have a read - 

https://boatgoldcoast.com.au/headland-fishing/

https://www.fishingworld.com.au/how-to/game-of-stones-how-to-catch-fish-from-the-rocks

https://www.queensland.com/au/en/plan-your-holiday/journeys/p-5907fe75e856f15d6751d635-catch-a-barra-to-a-whiting-and-everything-in-between

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Kings point is awesome for black jew and fingermark; I haven't fished there in years though. Best way is to night fish, with an underwater light to get squid - live bait the squid. The big catfish and sharks are bad there though, especially if using dead baits

I guess one good thing is you'd get out of the SE winds fishing on the southern side of the inlet; too windy this side of the inlet although have been a few bream in the Barron; all around 35cm   

Once again, Tony is 100% right. I just fished the Barron that weekend it really cooled down (a few weeks ago now). I caught a new PB bream at exactly 35cm. The water was really cold though and I couldn't catch any live bait. Some boys next to me lost a good salmon. Do you reckon I could fish False Cape (landbased) and be able to catch fingermark or barra?

13 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Jaz44

Yes, the sudden cold front we have had down here (a week or so ago now, but I caught mine quite a while ago) brought me 3 or 4 good sized bream at the local park where they are normally a rarity! 🙂 35cm is a good PB too, they must be Pikey Bream that far up North? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I think so. It was't a very dark coloured bream though. It was rather shiny and silver. Sorry, but I don't have any photos. I quickly released it thinking it was undersize (as a fish that size up in FNQ is small for us). Little did I know it was legal! I would have kept it for afternoon tea knowing their meat is so nice.

1 hour ago, tiotony said:

pikeys and yellowfin bream up here

Hi tiotony

Rightio, so I guess the one Jaz44 caught could've been either. 

Hey Jaz44

Its a pity you didn't think it was legal, they only have to be 25cm in QLD but I think the legal limit should be 27cm, just because you don't get much off a 25cm fish (I'm sure that is debatable). Just out of curiosity, I will put it a picture of a pikey and a yellowfin to see if you can tell the difference (I think it'd be very hard as they look quite similiar) - 

Breambo!.JPG.81e435558a303a35212fc9ec6d71962b.JPG

This is a yellowfin bream (above). 

This is a pikey bream (below)

Pikey bream | Fish identification information | Queensland Government

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

2 hours ago, tiotony said:

I'm too lazy to drive out to False cape so really got no idea. 

There's bullys early morning at the top of the Barron too (as usual) - sunday morning at Kamerunga, as soon as I got fish feeding in the burley trail the bullys were coming in and smashing them up. 

How did you go Tony? You always seem to catch at least one stonker each trip.

9 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

How did you go Tony? You always seem to catch at least one stonker each trip.

got nothing; as soon as I had fish in the burley trail the bullys were coming in and smashing them. Then 15 minutes to get fish burleyed up again, only for the sharks to come in and disperse them again

10 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi tiotony

Rightio, so I guess the one Jaz44 caught could've been either. 

Hey Jaz44

Its a pity you didn't think it was legal, they only have to be 25cm in QLD but I think the legal limit should be 27cm, just because you don't get much off a 25cm fish (I'm sure that is debatable). Just out of curiosity, I will put it a picture of a pikey and a yellowfin to see if you can tell the difference (I think it'd be very hard as they look quite similiar) - 

Breambo!.JPG.81e435558a303a35212fc9ec6d71962b.JPG

This is a yellowfin bream (above). 

This is a pikey bream (below)

Pikey bream | Fish identification information | Queensland Government

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

the river pikey bream are generally much darker than that, really a black colour - I'll take a pic next time I get one

3 hours ago, tiotony said:

got nothing; as soon as I had fish in the burley trail the bullys were coming in and smashing them. Then 15 minutes to get fish burleyed up again, only for the sharks to come in and disperse them again

Do you just use fish frames for burley? I want to start doing burleying my spots.

13 hours ago, tiotony said:

the river pikey bream are generally much darker than that, really a black colour - I'll take a pic next time I get one

Hey tiotony

Alright, that's interesting. I'll be interested to see them, I wonder if that is something to do with the fact it is a different climate up in FNQ. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂