Fishing Report Moreton Bay Whiting - 11 July 2020

Hweebe

My filleting station is the dining table directly opposite the TV.

I filleted what we needed for lunch and did the rest whilst watching the broncos actually win a game later that night. 

Didn't really time it but finished filleting around half time. I usually factor 1 minute a fish, not because it takes that long but i usually get distracted. Hence why around 60 is ideal (60mins). When the two of us have bagged out its almost two hours of filleting (you quickly lose motivation)

With a sharp knife and actually concentrating, it probably takes 30 secs to fillet, remove rib cage and remove pin bones (a sharp knife is key). Also a fillet station where you can sit is much better then standing up and hunched over.

Size was good on Saturday - I would rate the size at the moment as above average.

9 minutes ago, Allnighter said:

Well using baits like that and its only a matter of time  ..... 😎

P.S why wait? Just a pic and release😊

All this advice you have absorbed...

I can feel the pressure dripping off your brow lol, cant wait for the pics, this is gunna be epic 😆

Did not even cross my mind 🙂 ...rightly or wrongly i'm trying to stay with the intent of the legislation to reduce fishing pressure on snapper and not targeting them.

Then again i almost never land target species so maybe Snapper as "by catch" and release would be ok 🙂

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nice session there @Hweebe - didn't have any squid follow your whiting up?

I know people have told me to target squid in the same areas i target whiting but i have zero experience squiding from a boat. Do people just chuck out a squid lure or pillie jig out the back on a float or are you jigging?

Water clarity would have been really good for a squid jig  but I've found running three whiting rods is just about right to avoid tangles, unless I swap out a rod for just squiding.

Once the whiting are on the chew like Saturday not much time to play around with a squid jig.

9 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I know people have told me to target squid in the same areas i target whiting but i have zero experience squiding from a boat. Do people just chuck out a squid lure or pillie jig out the back on a float or are you jigging?

Hey Hweebe

I have a teacher at school (in is classes we just talk fishing) that says he will always put a squid jig out the back and hope for the best. His family loves squid... I believe people both work them like soft plastics and have them out the back like you do with baits...

Squid jigs do sink, and every time I've seen them go, it has been getting hopped along the bottom - 

That is a good video - Catch, clean, and cooking! 🙂 

Cheers Hamish 

You could either have one under a float (add a small sinker if needed to get the jig down if the current is strong) or just have one rigged up ready in case you noticed a squid follow a hooked whiting up. I know what you mean about the whiting keeping you busy though, it can get hectic and you already scored a very nice haul of fillets so squid would just be a bonus 🙂