Tinny Fishing Breakfast Creek

JMW21

Hi all, I hit breakfast creek the other night at the small boat ramp. Every time I cast my lure heaps of prawns were jumping, I was a bit bummed that I didn’t bring my caster net.

I was thinking of bringing my tinny down this Friday night and Catching some prawns to do some thready and Jew fishing. I was just wondering if anyone would have some recommendations where along breakfast creek is best to catch them? Are there any specific drop offs, or areas you’d recommend?

Hey JMW21

Seems like the prawns are on. A cast net will be very handy, and as well as for jew and threadies, prawns are also gun bait for flatties, bream, cod, perch, and even mangrove jacks!

As for breaky creek, I've never fished there... But read heaps about it. Here are some old threads which will hopefully give you a hand - 

Alright, that is all I have time for now, but if you type in 'breakfast' into the search bar at the top right corner of the forum page you will get pages of these pages! 🙂 For jew, I think around the mouth is better, and same with salmon. I can only suggest getting some good livies, such as prawns and mullet, tieing it on 30lb leader, and fishing deep holes/drop offs.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

40 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey JMW21

Seems like the prawns are on. A cast net will be very handy, and as well as for jew and threadies, prawns are also gun bait for flatties, bream, cod, perch, and even mangrove jacks!

As for breaky creek, I've never fished there... But read heaps about it. Here are some old threads which will hopefully give you a hand - 

Alright, that is all I have time for now, but if you type in 'breakfast' into the search bar at the top right corner of the forum page you will get pages of these pages! 🙂 For jew, I think around the mouth is better, and same with salmon. I can only suggest getting some good livies, such as prawns and mullet, tieing it on 30lb leader, and fishing deep holes/drop offs.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Wow thanks mate, appreciate the time you put into that. I’ll check them out!!

26 minutes ago, christophagus said:

I’ve lost more fish than I’ve caught in breakfast creek. Threads shark and jew. Landed my pb bream there on a live prawn. This is all land based by the way fishing right next to that boat ramp

Awesome mate. I reckon I’ll drop some lines there initially and see how I go with the live prawns👍🏻. Thanks for the help

3 minutes ago, jon said:

There’s some deeper water right out side the mouth of the creek In front of Newstead house. Plenty of Jew thready and snapper have been caught  of the pontoon right at the mouth. I’d try anchoring right at the mouth or just to the left or right of it. Use your sounder to find the ledge or hole see if there is some bait there and anchor up current of this and send baits down to wards these areas. If tide is running in try sitting out side and position some baits to sit just inside the mouth to tempt any fish enterIng the creek

Awesome, thanks for the help Jon!

Nice to hear the prawns are already running. Could be a another good year. If you see prawns skipping that is the place to cast for them. Just watch the snags... It can be a good idea to have a cheap small net to sound out an area if you have not netted in there before. Its a sad day when a nice net goes to the tip... talking from experience.... 😞

Good luck. Its a creek I have often thought about but never fished. 

Alrighty, so I ended up going last night. Launched the tinny at the small boat ramp at 5:30pm and tried to cast for prawns. Sadly the abundance of prawns that was out a few nights ago just weren’t there so I ended up with a nice bucket of poddy mullet.

I started off fishing about 30m to the right of the boat ramp (Just across, past the rowing pontoon) and got some great smashes of the baits, but no hook ups. After an hour and a half I was keen to try the creek mouth and fish the drop offs. Luck was not on my side last night, and my battery that runs the sounder and lights must have dropped a cell, cos as soon as the engine was turned off, all electrical power was gone 😫. Because of this I could not determine where the drops exactly were, and the lack of light made things a little dangerous so after half an hour I pulled back up the creek to where the Mercedes dealership is, away from traffic. Once again got a few good bites, but to no avail.

So to sum up, nothing😔. Kind of regret moving from the first place as it would have only been a matter of time before a hook up. I think without a doubt, if I had managed to get some live prawns, there would have been some more action. Anyway, I’ll try and make it out there in the up coming weeks, and if there is anything worth reporting, I’ll let you know. Thanks for all the help👍🏻

18 hours ago, JMW21 said:

Alrighty, so I ended up going last night. Launched the tinny at the small boat ramp at 5:30pm and tried to cast for prawns. Sadly the abundance of prawns that was out a few nights ago just weren’t there so I ended up with a nice bucket of poddy mullet.

I started off fishing about 30m to the right of the boat ramp (Just across, past the rowing pontoon) and got some great smashes of the baits, but no hook ups. After an hour and a half I was keen to try the creek mouth and fish the drop offs. Luck was not on my side last night, and my battery that runs the sounder and lights must have dropped a cell, cos as soon as the engine was turned off, all electrical power was gone 😫. Because of this I could not determine where the drops exactly were, and the lack of light made things a little dangerous so after half an hour I pulled back up the creek to where the Mercedes dealership is, away from traffic. Once again got a few good bites, but to no avail.

So to sum up, nothing😔. Kind of regret moving from the first place as it would have only been a matter of time before a hook up. I think without a doubt, if I had managed to get some live prawns, there would have been some more action. Anyway, I’ll try and make it out there in the up coming weeks, and if there is anything worth reporting, I’ll let you know. Thanks for all the help👍🏻

Good one mate. Sounds like it is only a matter of time till you get it all sorted and start smashing them.