Advice On Surf Fishing Rod And Reel

tysonsmith

Hi everyone,

I've got a long weekend for a mates 20th planned on North Stradbroke island and am finally going to get myself a decent surf rod since we hit bribie every now and again, and my current rod sucks.

I've been looking at these at bcf and was wondering if anybody's had any experience with them, or if you have any suggestion on gear that has treated you well in the past

Penn Battalion Surf Rod 12ft 8-12kg
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/penn-battalion-surf-rod-12ft-8-12kg/536080.html 

Daiwa Revros LT Spinning Reel 5000-C
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/daiwa-revros-lt-spinning-reel--5000-c/572690.html 

Thanks heaps

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

What will you be targeting ? That rod seems a little bit heavy for general surf work. Something in the 5-8kg mark may serve you better.

I have 2 Revros reels and quite like them. The 5000 should give you a nice long cast.

Yeah your probably right

We only really plan to be targeting the bread and butter species then maybe going for jewies at night

I believe Penn has a similar rod in that weight

4 hours ago, tysonsmith said:

Hi everyone,

I've got a long weekend for a mates 20th planned on North Stradbroke island and am finally going to get myself a decent surf rod since we hit bribie every now and again, and my current rod sucks.

I've been looking at these at bcf and was wondering if anybody's had any experience with them, or if you have any suggestion on gear that has treated you well in the past

Penn Battalion Surf Rod 12ft 8-12kg
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/penn-battalion-surf-rod-12ft-8-12kg/536080.html 

Daiwa Revros LT Spinning Reel 5000-C
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/daiwa-revros-lt-spinning-reel--5000-c/572690.html 

Thanks heaps

I don’t know much about beach rods but  the reel you suggested is a decent reel I have aird lt which is the same price just slightly better but for the price get a penn spinfisher idk what you’re budget is but a daiwa BG is a great reel for surf fishing. the reason I’m saying this is because I have a aird and legalis and I dunked the the legalis in saltwater for a couple seconds and it completely locked up after fishing with it I had to take it apart and clean everything the legalis and revro’s Are very similar besides for a few extra pieces in the legalis .both are great budget reels but are best for light saltwater work .the penns and BG’s are the type of reels you want for surf fishing if you dunk a penn it isn’t to much of a issue compared to a daiwa revro’s lt . BTW if I was going to buy a revro’s I would spend the extra bucks and get a exceler LT but this is only if you’re fussy I’m a sucker for screw in handles and daiwa’s silent oscillation technology But if you go get a revro’s LT it should be fine just whatever you do.....do not get it WET!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

I don’t know much about beach rods but for the reel you suggested is a decent reel I have aird lt which is the same price just slightly better but for the price get a penn spinfisher idk what you’re budget is but also daiwa BG is a great reel for surf fishing. the reason I’m saying this is because I have a aird and legalis and I dunked the the legalis in saltwater for a couple seconds and it completely locked up after fishing with it I had to take it apart and clean everything the legalis and revro’s Are very similar besides for a few extra pieces in the legalis both great reels but are best for light saltwater work  the penns and BG’s are the type of reels you want for surf fishing if you dunk a penn it isn’t to much of a issue compared to a daiwa revro’s lt . BTW if I was going to buy a revro’s I would spend the extra bucks and get a exceler LT but this is only if you’re fussy I’m a sucker for screw in handles and daiwa’s silent oscillation But if you go get a revro’s LT should be fine just whatever you do.....do not get it WET!!!!!

Thanks for your info mate

My mate has one of the Penn spinfishers and it's done him pretty well so I might have a bit more of a look into it