Mixed Bag Mondays

jon

4 hours ago, christophagus said:

nice one man. Hows the dolphin fish go for storage? ive heard some people only eat it fresh and struggle to store it

Ive never tried freezing it but have heard the same. It gives me an excuse to eat it breaky lunch and dinner😂

Edited by jon

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

So easy thanks. I will be doing this more. We do the same for cuttlefish but have it nearly on the bottom. 

Yeah maybe closer to the bottom is better 10m might be a bit much just depends on if your drifting big lumps coz you don’t wanna get snagged when your hooked up sort of thing

Nice day out there mate and some quality fillets to be eaten. Nice to get the FAD to yourself - shame the other one appears to be a waste of time (and fuel ...). Your note about the priest upgrade has just made me realise that the metal rod/bar I recently found/remembered I had under the house has a worthwhile purpose 👍😁

16 hours ago, jon said:

To say that this thing misbehaved on deck was an under statement. May need to upgrade the priest from an alloy bat to a lead pipe next Time

I made my own on a wood  lathe out of well seasoned hardwood, I sold a couple of them but most people don't want to spend the extra money compared to a cheap ally bat from BCF, so I stopped making them but my wooden ones are quite effective.

16 hours ago, jon said:

To say that this thing misbehaved on deck was an under statement. May need to upgrade the priest from an alloy bat to a lead pipe next Time

I hog tie them. An old salty fisho showed me years ago.

I looked like i'd been Texas chainsaw masacreing the things one day. A beautiful white fishing shirt turned to a stained looking maroon, not to mention the hat, hair, eyebrows. 

All from the donger and their fits on the floor. 

I have a a length of 80lb Schneider about a meter long with a 10/O hook at either end. 

As soon as the fish hits the deck you jump on it. One hook in the mouth, knee on head, bend the fish like a banana. Double wrap the tail and the second hook in the mouth as well. Can be difficult with the larger models over say 7kg but still effective. 

Stops all that carry on and you're not creating a massive blood bath with a donger allthough there still is blood.

Fish can sit on deck or straight in the esky and bleed them. 

11 hours ago, Junky said:

I hog tie them. An old salty fisho showed me years ago.

I looked like i'd been Texas chainsaw masacreing the things one day. A beautiful white fishing shirt turned to a stained looking maroon, not to mention the hat, hair, eyebrows. 

All from the donger and their fits on the floor. 

I have a a length of 80lb Schneider about a meter long with a 10/O hook at either end. 

As soon as the fish hits the deck you jump on it. One hook in the mouth, knee on head, bend the fish like a banana. Double wrap the tail and the second hook in the mouth as well. Can be difficult with the larger models over say 7kg but still effective. 

Stops all that carry on and you're not creating a massive blood bath with a donger allthough there still is blood.

Fish can sit on deck or straight in the esky and bleed them. 

I’d have to see that one in action  I could see that method going south real quick in more ways Than one when on my own, on a slippery deck not to mention bruising the bejesus out of the fillets. Generally if I’m not frigging around on the wheel whilst trying to gaff and avoid the fad simultaneously, my preferred way is to gaff and defer straight into the ice box and dispatch in a semi closed coffin providing ive had the for thought lifting the lid after hooking up

Edited by jon

1 hour ago, jon said:

I’d have to see that one in action  I could see that method going south real quick in more ways Than one when on my own, on a slippery deck not to mention bruising the bejesus out of the fillets. Generally if I’m not frigging around on the wheel whilst trying to gaff and avoid the fad simultaneously, my preferred way is to gaff and defer straight into the ice box and dispatch in a semi closed coffin providing ive had the for thought lifting the lid after hooking up

Yes I think it would take a bit of practice 🙂