AFO Sharking Trip In Summer... Who's Keen?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

To be honest I don't really know what my opinion is.  I just wasn't very comfortable watching that video.. I don't know why.

I love fishing and really always have when I look back on it.  To be honest I think people that complain about any recreational fishing are *#@$@*# idiots.  They should be complaining about commercial fishing instead.

Kat

Well I still hope this event can go forward... Looks like @Kat, @Drop Bear, and @ellicat are keen and @christophagus you are keen if it is done online.

Here is a proposition - 

We have one month... Lets say January, where we have an online event for lots of people. Then, we have one day in this month, i.e. the 20th of January (Sunday) where we meet up at a location, possibly Captain Burke Park, where we all have a social fish for the bullies.

How does that sound?

Cheers Hamish

10 hours ago, Kat said:

Deal!  As long as you show me how you cut up a shark to eat.  Even thinking about that makes me feel weird - I really do think sharks look evil.  Jaws must have messed with my mind 😮

I can do that no problem. There are a few small things you need to get right or you will just blunt your knife. Big juicy thick fillets that taste delicious. 

10 hours ago, Kat said:

Yeah.  We had some last night.  Caught my PB on Wednesday.  May post a short report cause it was weird - someone might know why.

I look forward to that. Did it have saddleback syndrome? 

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/fisheries/monitoring-research/monitoring-reporting/commercial-fisheries/species-specific/yellow-fin-bream#:~:text=Yellowfin bream sometimes have an,fish are safe to eat.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, well I don't want this to go to waste...

Here is a proposition everyone -

Over January, we can have a Shark Competition. 

It will run from 1st of January until the 31st of January.

There will be a few categories.

Biggest Shark Altogether. 

Biggest Shark Boat Based

Biggest Shark Land based

Biggest Shark Kayak Based

Most Unique Shark (as in looks, like a Cat Shark or a Banjo Shark)

Most Sharks Caught in total (not size dependant)

There can be a couple or one meet ups if anyone is keen. Maybe in some different rivers. I.E. Brisbane River, Logan River.

You can compete solo, or in a team of as many as you like. 

Main prize would probably be bragging rights but we'll see how we go. 

Any thoughts? Is this bad? Or is it perfectly OK? I do admit I feel slightly (extremely) guilty whenever I leave a hook in a sharks mouth and let him back...... They are majestic creatures in their own right and don't deserve to be affected by myself having a bit of good fun fighting them. 

Should we just do something similar but with another fish - like Sand Whiting for instance. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

22 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

@AUS-BNE-FISHOI'm in mate. Are you gonna handle the leader board?

Hey Robbie

Yes, I will. The unique symbol will be released the night before.

So far, we have 

@Drop Bear

@ellicat

@Cavvy

@AUS-BNE-FISHO

@Breaming with bro

@christophagus

@kmcrosby78 (and Liam + George)
Cheers Hamish 

1 minute ago, Breaming with bro said:

Can I participate. I’m just starting to get into shark fishing . I know I’m not from the Brisbane to GC  area but I thought I could do it like the last online fish Comp the origins one 

Yep, sure thing Breaming with bro. That’s the beauty with having a competition I guess.

Cheers Hamish 

Oh, and I should also mention basic rules.

No fish will be accepted after the time given.

Fish will only be accepted if caught on rod and reel 

Anyone can enter this comp, so feel free to spread the word.

The ‘Most Unique Shark Category’ can only be entered in if you catch one type of shark and it’s only you if that makes sense.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers Hamish 

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Oh, and I should also mention basic rules.

No fish will be accepted after the time given.

Fish will only be accepted if caught on rod and reel 

Anyone can enter this comp, so feel free to spread the word.

The ‘Most Unique Shark Category’ can only be entered in if you catch one type of shark and it’s only you if that makes sense.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers Hamish 

yeah mate im in

happy to organise trophies again if people want? i think you might run into strife with measuring them potentially. Anything large caught boat based is very hard to measure.

33 minutes ago, christophagus said:

yeah mate im in

happy to organise trophies again if people want? i think you might run into strife with measuring them potentially. Anything large caught boat based is very hard to measure.

That’s a good point. As long as we don’t have two very similar size sharks it should be easy to see what was bigger with a good picture though, shouldn’t it? 

By the way, that is a good idea Chris. I can help you out with that if it’s to much hassle though?

Cheers Hamish 

35 minutes ago, christophagus said:

yeah mate im in

So how will the competition be judged if they can't be measured?  Anyway I am happy to step in and help out as deckie if any of the skippers lose their fingers - ha ha ha.  Oops - too much.

Yes I think I am in.  Not really sure where I will try for a shark though.

Sorry phone screen playing up so have had difficulty reading and responding.

Cheers Kat

13 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Oh yeah, and I should also add - if we want to change the species, it should be something accessible to everyone. Like Whiting, because you can catch it everywhere. It shouldn't be something like Mackerel, as these are very hard to land land based for a lot of people. 

Rubbish.  I can't catch whiting anywhere 🥺

9 minutes ago, Kat said:

So how will the competition be judged if they can't be measured?  Anyway I am happy to step in and help out as deckie if any of the skippers lose their fingers - ha ha ha.  Oops - too much.

Yes I think I am in.  Not really sure where I will try for a shark though.

Sorry phone screen playing up so have had difficulty reading and responding.

Cheers Kat

Well I will just have to try and be accurate. Hopefully most skippers/fishers can get a measurement. If it comes to it, it may be a draw. 
@Kat, yeah, sponsors would be nice, but like you said there isn’t any point in trying to sponsor a comp that 6 people are doing. 
Cheers Hamish 

17 minutes ago, Ed. said:

I wouldn't give up hope, you might just need to try to fish in different areas, because fish travel a lot, one day there may be heaps in one area and the next 4-5 days zilch, and if they are not there then no matter what bait you try you won't catch anything. You could always try adding burley to where you  are fishing but it would have to spread far and wide to attract fish to where you are,  this is assuming that they are hungry at that time, because you don't want them to nibble and pick at the bait, you want them to gulp it down like it is their last meal, and in most cases it will be.😁

Good advice there Ed.

I don’t mean to change the subject but do you want to enter the comp? 

15 minutes ago, Ed. said:

Thank you Hamish for the offer  but not a good time of the year for me,  I would like to but at this stage with getting the house ready for sale I am not sure if I even will have time to do any fishing for quite a while as I have a heap of work to do here. Christmas is almost upon us and I have all my daughters rocking up from all over the country side, picking up the first one, her hubby and grand daughter  tomorrow, so that will also put me further behind and lastly in the new year I have a couple of medical issues that I need sorted which may lay me up as well so it may be months before I get a chance hence the reason I didn't put my name down.

I will just have to read and drool about all the fish being caught by everyone else.

Alright. That's fine Ed. Good luck with getting everything done and I hope it all goes to plan 🙂 

Cheers Hamish