Fishing rod

Saffa

Could anyone maybe help me? I am thinking about buying a new rod for my kayak. What type of rod and reel set up should i go for? I would like to get one that i could use to flick lures about and use live baits ect. Also a rod that could handle somthing big should I get hooked up to a mulloway or jack.

Word of warning, if you are fishing from a yak, look for something that has a fair bit of flexibility. If too stiff, especially in graphite, I've been told that bringing fish \"yakside\" can be a task, and may in some instances end in the strong but brittle graphite going \"tink\" close to the top.

Both Silstar and Ugly Stik have a reputation of making really tuff rods that will take punishment and keep on kickin.

Lots of experienced yakkers on site who could lend some advice, but hope this helps.

Rocket

Do what I've done. Get a cheaper rod for your yak use like my repaired procaster. Cost me $40 and I've got everything on it from Bream to jacks.

Not worth spending big bucks on a rod for your Yak as it's too easy to break one.

I agree with Flatehead's weight class but I still think a 6'6 is easier to use than a 7 foot. There are advantages and disadvantages to long and shorter rods.

i dont understand this use a cheap rod for the yak have you never got salt spray on your normal gear sand in your rod its not about getting crap stuff its about getting quality stuff and taking care of it as for the rods breaking at the top well honestly i dont know too much about that but i would think a shorter rod could help with the leverages available

Archived