Redclaw at Somerset

Tez79

Hi guys, 

New here....

I'm looking for a few tips on whereabouts would be a good place at Somerset to toss in a pot from the bank to catch a cpl of decent redclaw. I do need it to be close to somewhere I can drive my hatchback to as I have back issues and can't walk very far carrying  larger items. 

I don't want to spoil anyone's favourite spots or anything, but I would like to catch a few to put live into my Aquaponics system at home, and see how they go.

Hey Tez

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find plenty on redclawing on here.

The best bait is supposed to be fish frames or fruit. Never tried, but that's what I've read 🙂 

They are also supposed to go good after rain. I think it is something to do with new growth to eat that's just been submerged. 

Cheers Hamish 

12 hours ago, ellicat said:

Can't help out with a Somerset spot, sorry. I can suggest you could probably get them at your local aquarium store. They are commonly sold as 'feeder' crays. Priced about a dollar each. Might be an easier option with your crook back.

Yeah, that is a backup plan,but I was hoping to have a bit of fun doing it, probably wet a line while I'm waiting, plus I was also hoping to get a couple of  large ones, like basically breeding size. Granted it's starting to cool off now and probably be too cold for them to breed til next season, but ideally I wanted them to be ready to go... Will just have to try my luck for a little bit.

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

I've heard North Pine Dam is a better option for Red Claw. As long as you soak your pots long enough the red claw will come.

I will be going to npd in 2 weeks, I'll be there in a Thursday, for probably about 6ish hours.... I hope, while wife and kid are busy with a school thing. 

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Tez

Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find plenty on redclawing on here.

The best bait is supposed to be fish frames or fruit. Never tried, but that's what I've read 🙂 

They are also supposed to go good after rain. I think it is something to do with new growth to eat that's just been submerged. 

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks Hamish

Been doing heaps of reading, and I also hear that good ol dog food, aka goodos is supposed to be too notch for them as well..... 👍