A night fish .fishing sessions vol 1

Brodie_S

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Nice bream, bro. I'm surprised you didn't get more.

A shame setup 3 didn't go off.

Yeah I was hoping for a Jew , big tailor or even a kingfish on the live yellowtail but nothing touched it. I rekon if I stayed longer And rigged up a another mullet slab I would have good something 

18 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah I was hoping for a Jew , big tailor or even a kingfish on the live yellowtail but nothing touched it. I rekon if I stayed longer And rigged up a another mullet slab I would have good something 

its that exact thought process that keeps a fisherman coming back for more! love it

always exciting when fishing a live bait, no better style of fishing i reckon

6 hours ago, christophagus said:

its that exact thought process that keeps a fisherman coming back for more! love it

always exciting when fishing a live bait, no better style of fishing i reckon

Yeah it was my first time fishing with a liveie luckily I knew what I was doing . The only mistake I made was I didn’t add a bead or line stopper above the sinker and my FG got a little tangled cause the sinker kept sliding over the knot. Hopefully next time I go out there I can manage to get something on a liveie it seems like a great fishing spot plenty of structure and bait and good rep there’s also squid and cuttlefish there although I didn’t see any that night I can you tell you the spot if you want Just ask via pm I don’t mind telling people spots just as long as it’s not 20-70 people because I would hate to see a great spot get ruined by a post . 

4 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Yeah it was my first time fishing with a liveie luckily I knew what I was doing . The only mistake I made was I didn’t add a bead or line stopper above the sinker and my FG got a little tangled cause the sinker kept sliding over the knot. Hopefully next time I go out there I can manage to get something on a liveie it seems like a great fishing spot plenty of structure and bait and good rep there’s also squid and cuttlefish there although I didn’t see any that night I can you tell you the spot if you want Just ask via pm I don’t mind telling people spots just as long as it’s not 20-70 people because I would hate to see a great spot get ruined by a post . 

When I caught one of my first threadies land based, the kind fella helping my land it practically fell in trying to get the sinker off the leader so I could get it up. Lucky he did or I might've lost the fish! I get a fair few tangles like that fishing in general, so I'll be interested to find out how you stop it without crimping anything onto the leader (I think those Split Shot things weaken heavier leaders a fair bit).

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

When I caught one of my first threadies land based, the kind fella helping my land it practically fell in trying to get the sinker off the leader so I could get it up. Lucky he did or I might've lost the fish! I get a fair few tangles like that fishing in general, so I'll be interested to find out how you stop it without crimping anything onto the leader (I think those Split Shot things weaken heavier leaders a fair bit).

Cheers Hamish

Yeah I’ll just use a little bead above the sinker the bead might hit the leader knot sometimes but because it’s small it won’t go over the knot and tangle it and yeah split shots do weaken leaders a bit so I steer away from them . Yeah I’m keen to land a jewie this year so I’ll keep trying hopefully I can go out once a month or every fortnight for a night sesh at this spot 

15 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

Curious why u don’t just use a swivel instead of the FG which will also help stop the sinker?

Because my leader is just over 2 metres long. I have 2 rods for my heavier style of fishing one is a vintage short Jarvis walker rod though it’s old it’s a great short 2pc rod (slides in above the reel seat rather then in the middle) has ceramic guides and a decent reel seat and a very fast action idk what happend to Jarvis walker but you couldn’t complete my vintage Jarvis walker to modern day Jarvis walker rods the Jarvis walker rods of today are pretty garbage. and my other rod for this heavier style of fishing is a daiwa RZ 6-9kg although towards the end of this year I’m gonna upgrade to a 7 foot atomic arrows offshore instead. So that’s why I use a FG instead of a swivel because my rods are short 7 foot and the Jarvis walker one is up to my nose and I’m 5’7 so I image it would be 5’4 or 5’5 

14 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Cheers Hamish

Try tying half an elastic band around the leader to act as a stopper. @tuggershowed me that trick and it works a treat. Easy, cheap and adjustable.

On 07/04/2021 at 6:09 PM, Breaming with bro said:

Hi BWB,

there's nothing wrong with keeping spots to yourself. A lot of trial and error goes into finding them.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that those that you trust with your secret wont pass it on to others. In fact it is inevitable. Studies show that he rate at which a secret spreads is the square of the number of people you originally tell

If you tell 2 people and each of them tells another 2 (now 6 plus you know) and in turn they tell 2 each (36 plus you know now)  and in turn teach of the 36 tells two (I cant be bothered working out 36 squared  but it will be a big number 🙂

If you tell 3 people and each of them tells another 3, (12 plus you) and each of them tells another 3 .......etc the number in the know grows incredibly fast.

You are right in worrying about telling even 20 people, but if you tell anyone else that you don't completely trust, it will become common knowledge much faster than you realise.

You will come across exponential growth in maths if you haven't already.

All of last year I kept a spot to myself. Friends, neighbours and acquaintances regularly asked me where I caught my poddy mullet. I would smile and say "That would be telling" 🙂 It is near a popular holiday site and I avoided trapping there during holidays and weekends so that I did not bring attention to it. (I would fish mid week at dusk so weekends weren't a big deal). I had a regular supply of the best possible bait that almost guaranteed me a couple of keepers. I would be silly to let others know and then wonder why I have trouble getting bait there.

The only reason I go elsewhere now because for some reason the mullet have been replaced with juvenile striped trumpeter.

Keep you spots secret. 🙂

11 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Hi BWB,

there's nothing wrong with keeping spots to yourself. A lot of trial and error goes into finding them.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that those that you trust with your secret wont pass it on to others. In fact it is inevitable. Studies show that he rate at which a secret spreads is the square of the number of people you originally tell

If you tell 2 people and each of them tells another 2 (now 6 plus you know) and in turn they tell 2 each (36 plus you know now)  and in turn teach of the 36 tells two (I cant be bothered working out 36 squared  but it will be a big number 🙂

If you tell 3 people and each of them tells another 3, (9 plus you) and each of them tells another 3 .......etc the number in the know grows incredibly fast.

You are right in worrying about telling even 20 people, but if you tell anyone else that you don't completely trust, it will become common knowledge much faster than you realise.

You will come across exponential growth in maths if you haven't already.

All of last year I kept a spot to myself. Friends, neighbours and acquaintances regularly asked me where I caught my poddy mullet. I would smile and say "That would be telling" 🙂 It is near a popular holiday site and I avoided trapping there during holidays and weekends so that I did not bring attention to it. (I would fish mid week at dusk so weekends weren't a big deal). I had a regular supply of the best possible bait that almost guaranteed me a couple of keepers. I would be silly to let others know and then wonder why I have trouble getting bait there.

The only reason I go elsewhere now because for some reason the mullet have been replaced with juvenile striped trumpeter.

Keep you spots secret. 🙂

Alright I will yeah I didn’t realise it can spread that fast but when you think of it like that I imagine it would . Yeah the spot has plenty of structure and massive amounts of garfish and yellowtail and I’ve also seen squid and cuttlefish there to .so I kind of want to keep it a secret. Although it isn’t a hidden fishing spot it’s not very popular and I rarely see anyone else there. I suspect it’s a great jewie/kingfish spot because of all the bait and structure hopefully next time I go out there I can get something on a liveie .

1 hour ago, Old Scaley said:

Try tying half an elastic band around the leader to act as a stopper. @tuggershowed me that trick and it works a treat. Easy, cheap and adjustable.

Thanks I’ll have to try that how does it go through the guides though when casting 

8 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

Alright I will yeah I didn’t realise it can spread that fast but when you think of it like that I imagine it would . Yeah the spot has plenty of structure and massive amounts of garfish and yellowtail and I’ve also seen squid and cuttlefish there to .so I kind of want to keep it a secret. Although it isn’t a hidden fishing spot it’s not very popular and I rarely see anyone else there. I suspect it’s a great jewie/kingfish spot because of all the bait and structure hopefully next time I go out there I can get something on a liveie .

Thanks I’ll have to try that how does it go through the guides though when casting 

It won’t go through the guides. Did you want the whole 2 metres of leader between your hook and the sinker? If so this is not the set up to use. But if you only need a metre or so for the sinker to run it will be fine although you might have to use more of a lob than a flick, if you get what I mean.

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

It won’t go through the guides. Did you want the whole 2 metres of leader between your hook and the sinker? If so this is not the set up to use. But if you only need a metre or so for the sinker to run it will be fine although you might have to use more of a lob than a flick, if you get what I mean.

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for the tip Steve. I normally have a long wind on leader though, but I will use this when I have a shorter leader that can still be cast.

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Yeah for my longer leaders I’ll have a bead to stop the sinker hitting the knot but for shorter leaders I’ll be sure to try this out