Cracked tinny

AZZA

Dont know for sure was told the first two (same place oppisite sides of boat found at the same time ) were poor welding typical off mass produced boats.Although for the money they cost there should be nothing poor about them. second time Iam at a loss ,trailer doesn't seem to be putting any stress on hull in that area ,did rub over a tree branch at Monduran but only on the drift . Have been told could be work hardened but cant see how that spot could flex.

there is a small place at yamanto (ipswich) called nissen welding that specialize in aluminuim welding and fabrication. i have sent a bit of work to them over the last few years and it has always been quite good. their number is 32887370 but any marine workshop should be able to fix a small crack easy enough.

that is true about the ali work hardening and cracking over time unfortunately. a new ali has been developed and is designed to withstand flexing and work hardening but is still only used in aircraft and will probably not be used in the small boat industry due to it higher cost. if you get it welded it may be an idea to get it tig welded instead of mig as it should hold it together a bit longer for you. i did a similar repair not so long ago on 5 metre boat and the tig worked really well

my recommendation is a bloke at mango hill on kinsellas rd west. i dont have his # anymore but if you drive along this rd look for a house on your right about 1km or so up from intersection with a sign on the fence saying 'jeffers'- he is a marine mechanic but the bloke im talking about is straight across the road (their driveways are exactly inline with each other) and this bloke specializes in aluminium tig welding, good luck

Archived