Fishing Around Peregian Beach/Hell's Gate?

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Hey Everyone

In a few weeks time my family is heading up around Peregian Beach for Dad's birthday. After a fair bit of research and some google mapping of the area, I can see that there's plenty of beach to fish off, and also the Noosa National Park nearby. Sorry to nag, but I have a couple of questions about fishing these areas.

1. From my research I could see that dart, bream, flatties, tailor, and whiting could be targeted around the surf beaches. I imagine it is too early for any substantial catches of Bream or Tailor, at least from the beach, so I am assuming that dart, whiting, and flatties will be my main target species. I'll probably fish with a running ball sinker rig for the most part, and fish in the gutters with worms, prawns, pipis, or fish strips. I'm sure I can't go too wrong doing this, but I am keen to try for a fish or two on a soft plastic/metal slug.

I figure the most likely fish I would catch on a lure would be a dart, so I figure (decently) weighted shiny soft plastics or relatively light metal slugs (i.e. 20gram Halco Twisty) would work?

2. I plan to try at Hell's Gate/ Devil's Kitchen / Fairy Pools at least once. With all this rain I imagine any pelagic fish, like mackerel, will be gone, so I figure fishing for the normal dart/bream would be good on my lighter surf rod.

My question would be are there any larger fish that could be caught? I would probably fish with large fish strips, clumps of worms (I will probably try digging some blood worms at Redcliffe then try and keep them live, not catch beach worms), or a bait such as a live dart with gang hooks or a circle hook. Is there any potential of a mulloway or trevally? I would probably bring a big backpack to make hiking all gear in easy, as well.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

P.S. I will make sure to check the swell and bring life jackets if we do go off the rocks. 

From what I understand, Mullaway aren't too fussy about clear water conditons however if the bait fish are gone because of dirty water conditions due to all this rain, then the chances are the Mullaway will be gone too. It will still be worth a try to have a setup in the water for them in case one is cruising past. Use that baitrunner of yours for this setup with a set of gang hooks.

Can't talk about the rocks there at Noosa, but there might be some old reports from Angus.

When I lived at Coolum and fished Peregian in the mid 80's all that I ever caught at the beach was dart and long toms. Running ball sinker, 1/0 longshank hook, beach worms. At the bays there were bream around the rocks of course. My neighbour would catch good size jew off the rocks there on whole mullet and using bread for berley. Only fished at might though and knew the right tides etc.

Good luck up there.

4 hours ago, Ed. said:

From what I understand, Mullaway aren't too fussy about clear water conditons however if the bait fish are gone because of dirty water conditions due to all this rain, then the chances are the Mullaway will be gone too. It will still be worth a try to have a setup in the water for them in case one is cruising past. Use that baitrunner of yours for this setup with a set of gang hooks.

Thanks Ed. I will give it a crack, hopefully I can get something decent!

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Can't talk about the rocks there at Noosa, but there might be some old reports from Angus.

When I lived at Coolum and fished Peregian in the mid 80's all that I ever caught at the beach was dart and long toms. Running ball sinker, 1/0 longshank hook, beach worms. At the bays there were bream around the rocks of course. My neighbour would catch good size jew off the rocks there on whole mullet and using bread for berley. Only fished at might though and knew the right tides etc.

Good luck up there.

Thanks Brian. I've never heard of long toms in the surf. I don't mind a few dart so I'll try and do one session in the surf. I will make some berley and use that at the rocks if I end up going to them.

Cheers Hamish

i would target the bread and butter stuff off the beach such as dart, bream, whiting.  I have caught more tailor in summer over the past few year than winter so don't be shocked if there are some about.  20-30g halco twisties with the most erratic retrieve you can manage is the go (slow, fast, stop, twitch etc).

jewfish are very hit and miss on beaches at the best of times.  they are certainly most active at night and a live mullet or similar would be the best bet.  you can get sharks on any of the beaches, however, this would likely be hit and miss as well.  if you have limited time this might not be the most successful option available.

hells gates is a pretty serious mission to get to and is hit and miss but can produce some cracking fish on its day.  it is also exposed in any sort of E swell and not really the best place for the inexperienced rock fisho.  there are plenty of other spots around the headland that fish pretty well for the usual rock species and are safer and less of a mission to get to.  look for foamy, deeper water and don't be afraid to cast baits in close to any submerged rocks. flesh baits are good such as mullet fillets, fresh pippies if you can get them, everything eats pillies and worms and prawns will also work.  also well worth throwing a metal around off the stones, 40g halcos are my favourite here as they stay in the water better when casting from height.  expect tailor, trevally and maybe the occasional XOS dart.

1 hour ago, Tuna are fish said:

i would say have a good go with a small metal slug, cant hurt to try and i am no expert but i think the mulloway (jewfish) are more active after rain (correct me if im mistaken) Should be fun, good luck with it.

Thanks Tuna, I will try with a little slug.

24 minutes ago, benno573 said:

i would target the bread and butter stuff off the beach such as dart, bream, whiting.  I have caught more tailor in summer over the past few year than winter so don't be shocked if there are some about.  20-30g halco twisties with the most erratic retrieve you can manage is the go (slow, fast, stop, twitch etc).

jewfish are very hit and miss on beaches at the best of times.  they are certainly most active at night and a live mullet or similar would be the best bet.  you can get sharks on any of the beaches, however, this would likely be hit and miss as well.  if you have limited time this might not be the most successful option available.

hells gates is a pretty serious mission to get to and is hit and miss but can produce some cracking fish on its day.  it is also exposed in any sort of E swell and not really the best place for the inexperienced rock fisho.  there are plenty of other spots around the headland that fish pretty well for the usual rock species and are safer and less of a mission to get to.  look for foamy, deeper water and don't be afraid to cast baits in close to any submerged rocks. flesh baits are good such as mullet fillets, fresh pippies if you can get them, everything eats pillies and worms and prawns will also work.  also well worth throwing a metal around off the stones, 40g halcos are my favourite here as they stay in the water better when casting from height.  expect tailor, trevally and maybe the occasional XOS dart.

Hi Benno

Thanks a heap for all the tips. I will try with a Halco Twisty for some tailor, though I still will be shocked if I catch one lol. 

I may end up just going for a walk to Hell's Gate, and not fishing there. Though I am keen to try off the rocks for the first time. Do you know if it is worth fishing around the Paradise Caves/Fairy Pools? They seem slightly closer than Hell's Gates. Or even around the rocks either side of Tea Tree Bay Beach?

Cheers Hamish

Plenty of dart and whiting to be had pretty much from coolum up through to sunshine beach. You can usually just poke around and find pipis to use for bait too depending on tide. I've always found whiting go for those. I've never landed a tailor or anything bigger than a dart or whiting although sometimes have been busted off by something bigger so i'm sure they're there. 

On 08/03/2022 at 1:17 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Thanks Tuna, I will try with a little slug.

Hi Benno

Thanks a heap for all the tips. I will try with a Halco Twisty for some tailor, though I still will be shocked if I catch one lol. 

I may end up just going for a walk to Hell's Gate, and not fishing there. Though I am keen to try off the rocks for the first time. Do you know if it is worth fishing around the Paradise Caves/Fairy Pools? They seem slightly closer than Hell's Gates. Or even around the rocks either side of Tea Tree Bay Beach?

Cheers Hamish

Paradise caves is very difficult to get down close to the water.  Fairy pools is just as far, if not further, to walk as hells gates.  It generally fishes pretty well but is also exposed in an E swell.

The area called devil's kitchen is much closer and is worth a look.

If you're ever in Cleveland call in and see Pete at mossips. 

He makes up these beach fishing rig using a Sputnik sinker and a release clip that releases your hook when it hits the water. 

Works well in theory, but I still haven't caught a fish on it. Only used it once though, in really sloppy main beach straddie surf. 

20200822_075240.jpg

20200822_101453.jpg

20200822_101520.jpg

20200822_101633.jpg

5 hours ago, benno573 said:

Paradise caves is very difficult to get down close to the water.  Fairy pools is just as far, if not further, to walk as hells gates.  It generally fishes pretty well but is also exposed in an E swell.

The area called devil's kitchen is much closer and is worth a look.

Thanks Benno, I'll probably end up having a try there.

2 hours ago, Junky said:

If you're ever in Cleveland call in and see Pete at mossips. 

He makes up these beach fishing rig using a Sputnik sinker and a release clip that releases your hook when it hits the water. 

Works well in theory, but I still haven't caught a fish on it. Only used it once though, in really sloppy main beach straddie surf. 

20200822_075240.jpg

20200822_101453.jpg

20200822_101520.jpg

20200822_101633.jpg

Thanks Junky. That rig looks good. I reckon it would be good for fishing in the river too, with that sinker. Hopefully I can catch something this trip 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Good one mate. You will have a great time regardless.

With your worms, pick really shallow gutters at low tide. They won't be in every one so you may need to walk up and down the beach but whiting love to hang out in these shallow gutters. You only need a 300mm of water sometimes less. Most people wade through these gutters and fish the big open gutters behind. I have caught dozens of whiting in just over ankle deep water on surf beaches. Why are you not going to get some beach worms? 

If you find a nice dry safe spot I would defs throw out live mullet if you can get one. Mulloway are there for sure. the pontoons on the rivers and creeks should hold some. If you cant get any slow roll some 5 inch plastics through the gutters. They are a bit lazy and will hold out in deeper holes that don't have much water movement. I'm not saying they wont be in other places but I would start there. 

If you are in the yak and can fish at night, try slow rolling the 5 inch plastics at the sand bags. Barra are regularly caught this way.  

slugs are def worth a shot. Some Tailor hang around all year. I have heard plenty of stories about them being caught this summer.  

3 inch paddle tails can be deadly in the suds. Bream, Trevally, Dart, Flathead love them. if it is washy just chuck them out and let the waves move them around.

If it is tricky to get out due to the waves, micro jigs are easy to cast and can account for a stack of fish too. 

Have a great trip mate. 

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Good one mate. You will have a great time regardless.

With your worms, pick really shallow gutters at low tide. They won't be in every one so you may need to walk up and down the beach but whiting love to hang out in these shallow gutters. You only need a 300mm of water sometimes less. Most people wade through these gutters and fish the big open gutters behind. I have caught dozens of whiting in just over ankle deep water on surf beaches. Why are you not going to get some beach worms? 

If you find a nice dry safe spot I would defs throw out live mullet if you can get one. Mulloway are there for sure. the pontoons on the rivers and creeks should hold some. If you cant get any slow roll some 5 inch plastics through the gutters. They are a bit lazy and will hold out in deeper holes that don't have much water movement. I'm not saying they wont be in other places but I would start there. 

If you are in the yak and can fish at night, try slow rolling the 5 inch plastics at the sand bags. Barra are regularly caught this way.  

slugs are def worth a shot. Some Tailor hang around all year. I have heard plenty of stories about them being caught this summer.  

3 inch paddle tails can be deadly in the suds. Bream, Trevally, Dart, Flathead love them. if it is washy just chuck them out and let the waves move them around.

If it is tricky to get out due to the waves, micro jigs are easy to cast and can account for a stack of fish too. 

Have a great trip mate. 

Thanks very much for the tips Robbie. We aren’t taking the yak up this time unfortunately. I know people regularly catch Barra up the river but I think I’d need to be spending a bit more time up there to give them a proper crack.

I will definitely try for some worms, hopefully I will get some. I’ll probably bring my cast net too, though they place we are staying at is in walking distance of the beach so I’ll probably fish there most. I’ll bring a few lures and hopefully get some on that.

Cheers Hamish