The Bent Hookers - BRC

Terry H

Well, I decided it was a good time to head down to fish at 10pm, for a casual fish before hitting it hard tonight (which the only thing I'll be hitting now is sleep).

So I make the trip to the ONLY place I've caught A SINGLE shark in the Brisbane River for a nice half beach/mud shark fish.

Baits for this trip were a nice eel with 2 14/0s on 2mm pvc coated cable deployed on an Okuma T50W, and a small ray of about 45cm wingspan on 2 16/0 J styles on 3mm pvc coated cable on the Tiagra 80WA, both deployed from the bank out into the main channel.

I made a note to Eddie, or someone else (can't remember) that the action would be seen at 2am which was low tide. 1am came and passed, and by this stage I was getting tired so I parked the car right next to the rods and started to have a series of 30 second naps.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That's a noise that gets me awake! Car door flies open and I pounce on the rod. The distinctive sound of the Tiagra as the bait is in motion. I quickly set the hooks and leant back as this shark made its short lived fight.

Then the rain rolled in. Before long we were absolutely drenched and cold.

For those who have fished around Pinkena/poo chute, you would know there is a mudflat, followed by a drop off. It took probably 30 minutes just to get the shark up off this drop off, including sending Ed the brave birthday boy out on the mudflat in an attempt to free the shark from the drop off. Did I mention I was drenched and freezing? Once that was done, it was an easy wind in and the shark was caught.

The rest of the night involved huddling under the car in an attempt to hide from the wind and rain, becuase it was freaking cold. Other than that, it was quiet until almost sunrise when we suddenly heard the faint click of the Okuma in the background.

I gave this one to eddie as it was his Birthday, but in my excitement I foolishly forgot to properly set the hooks (when you have 3-400m of line in the water, just yanking back on the rod doesn't exactly take all the stretch out....) and after a light fight the fish was lost. Sorry eddie:(

Then the fun began.

How do you bring an 8ft shark to a weigh in? 4 guys should be able to just pick it up and whack it in the tray of a ute... right?

Well, we learnt that the answer is no. So after many different ideas (some good, others downright stupid) we decided to ring a crane and see how much that would cost. $600 for 4 hours? pass. Instead we hired a trailer (why didn't I think of that sooner?) and managed to tow the shark up onto it.

Photo: Loving that black magic. Just thought I'd take a quick breather while the shark decides to take a run. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BRC___Terry___8ft_Taking_a_seat___500.jpg

post-126-144598435425_thumb.jpg

:woohoo: MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE SHARK thats got to be the biggest shark ever landed out of the river since the site strated MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE it would EAT the 3 sharks that we caught in one bite MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE nice work terry how do u do it MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIVE

STU wrote:

Thats one big momma terry mental note no swimming near there.haha

Mental note no swimming anywhere in the River.

That thing is serious. Angus said someone weighed in the remains of a big thready that was taken by a shark. Maybe you should check it's stomach you might find enough of a thready to be a contender for best Misc :laugh:

Dan23 wrote:

STU wrote:
Thats one big momma terry mental note no swimming near there.haha

Mental note no swimming anywhere in the River.

That thing is serious. Angus said someone weighed in the remains of a big thready that was taken by a shark. Maybe you should check it's stomach you might find enough of a thready to be a contender for best Misc :laugh:

Yeah saw the threadie that was chomped in half the bloke who got it said he was going back tonight for revenge

Looks like he's been living at the Poo Shoot for the last 30 years. That better make the news. I know who's bringing steaks for the bbq weigh-in tomorrow. I mean flake steaks. Easily the biggest Shark I've ever seen pulled from the River.

Question, are these beasts supposed to go up to the brackish/fresh to breed? :S .

Troy

Archived