Life Jackets

ellicat

We got visited by Maritime Safety Queensland yesterday.

Interestingly, they told us that the inflatable life jacket's anniversary for servicing goes back to the manufacture date not the purchase date. So always check that when purchasing a new one. They have found them to be up to 18 months out of date at time of purchase at BCF, so no doubt that applies to other outlets as well.

I bought a new one in August, which I was wearing - turns out it was manufactured 6 months before purchase date.  So I have to service it 6 months earlier than I expected - good to know.  They are trying to educate people - including BCF. 

It would be disconcerting to purchase a life jacket then find it needs servicing straight away - but safety first.

Pass the message on other boaties you know.

Yeah right. Makes sense. 

I have the relaxn brand of inflatable and cannot for the life of me find the service sheet. 

I have been using another brands check list. 

I have tried to ask if this is okay because I don't want to throw the jackets out, they've never been used...😭

I haven't heard back. I have just been winging it and leaving paperwork in the boat. 

Jackets are still in mint condition. 

This is the Marlin Self Service manual for future reference.

The other thing to watch out for is the Bobbin needs to be replaced after 5 years on these jackets by an authorised service centre, at which point a full replacement is probably cheaper and a better investment then trying to service a crusty / sea salted inflatable.

020718 Annual self insp.pdf