Check your lifejackets New Standards

rayke1938

Thanks @rayke1938 I wasn't aware of this change.

Checked and sure enough my lifejackets will need to be replaced.

What are peoples thoughts on replacing with the inflatable life jackets? I understand they need to be serviced every year and are not "set and forget".

Reading into it further some manufacturers allow for the owner to self service but does anyone have experience with how water police deal with this when they check your on board safety equipment?

Hweebe

I have never been checked by the Water Police but have been by Maritime NSW. About half the encounters have been unpleasant. One tried to tell me my lifejacket was borderline for getting a fine. It had never been used, or sat on - just a bit dirty from being stowed away. 

On another occasion I was told off for passing within 10m of another boat at speed and that hitting a wave could have resulted in a collision. In fact I was at least 60m away and not going particularly fast. He was totally adamant about it. I thought every schoolboy in the country knew that 2 objects viewed from a distance appear closer than they really are. 

20 minutes ago, bigkingie said:

On another occasion I was told off for passing within 10m of another boat at speed and that hitting a wave could have resulted in a collision. In fact I was at least 60m away and not going particularly fast. He was totally adamant about it. I thought every schoolboy in the country knew that 2 objects viewed from a distance appear closer than they really are. 

Wish they would enforce that on the Gold Coast

• 5 months later...

This has probably already been asked on here before but I did a search and stuffed if I could find anything. Might just be a combination of the anaesthetic from today, mixed with the multiple beers and wines I’ve had since I got home. The anaesthetist did say drink a lot of fluids when I got home! Who am I to argue? Anyway, I have a few inflatables which are due for their yearly test, and being the lazy barst—d that I am, I’m looking for somewhere to get them checked. The only place that I could see online was at Slacks Creek, or somewhere near there. As that is on the dark side of town, I am loath to go there. Lol. I am looking for somewhere on the superior Northside. Anyone know of anywhere?

2 hours ago, GregOug said:

Might just be a combination of the anaesthetic from today, mixed with the multiple beers and wines I’ve had since I got home. The anaesthetist did say drink a lot of fluids when I got home!

Anesthetics? You been visiting the medics again? You do know that they don't mix well with mixed drinks! you should stick with one or the other! Wine or Beer. 🤣

10 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

@GregOug, honestly if you are not going to service the jackets yourself, which is extremely quick and easy, you might as well just buy a new one each year. If you look for specials, the cost of servicing plus parts would not be much less than the cost of a new jacket.

Well the jackets cost me about $150 each so I’m hoping the service charges aren’t that each year.

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Not that much, but if the labour cost is $40 and parts might be $30, and you can get a new manual inflatable for under $100 then you can see where I am going.

The trouble is if you want something very wearable and auto, they are a fair bit more than that. Just want to get them serviced,  not analysed 🤪.

4 hours ago, Ed. said:

Sorry I can't help you with where to take them as I did my own, not hard to do  just a bit fiddly to fold the bag back the same way it came out. Give it a go.

I have given it a go in the past. That’s why I’d rather pay someone to do it properly. Bit late when the boat is sinking to find out that you suck at it.

Hey Greg, here are some links for you to look at, the first is the Crewsaver 165N  manual activation at @ $109.95, these are the type I that I bought for myself and the missus.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/crewsaver-crewfit-165n-sport-manual-inflation-lifejacket

and the second  is the Marlin 150N manual activation  @ $59.00 BCF Club price, however there were a few major issues from customers purchasing these from BCF, read the reviews.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/marlin-australia-inflatable-adult-explorer-150-pfd/M564026.html?dwvar_M564026_color=Black&cgid=BCF0120#start=1

I just rang Whitworths with a general enquiry and they said they will do them in the Brisbane stores ranging in price from $50-80, I am assuming it might  also depend on the brand/model. However at that price point I would rather get a new one or do it myself.

2 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hey Greg, here are some links for you to look at, the first is the Crewsaver 165N  manual activation at @ $109.95, these are the type I that I bought for myself and the missus.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/crewsaver-crewfit-165n-sport-manual-inflation-lifejacket

and the second  is the Marlin 150N manual activation  @ $59.00 BCF Club price, however there were a few major issues from customers purchasing these from BCF, read the reviews.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/marlin-australia-inflatable-adult-explorer-150-pfd/M564026.html?dwvar_M564026_color=Black&cgid=BCF0120#start=1

I just rang Whitworths with a general enquiry and they said they will do them in the Brisbane stores ranging in price from $50-80, I am assuming it might  also depend on the brand/model. However at that price point I would rather get a new one or do it myself.

Thanks ED but I already have life jackets.