Finding new ground

Stevo83

Hi all, weather is looking mint this weekend in my neck of the woods, finally! So I'm planning on heading out but I find myself often just driving around with no idea where to fish, or what I should be looking for would be interested in finding out how people go about finding new spots or just exploring for good ground in general, any youtube or website recommendations about the subject would be welcome to.

Cheers

I look for places that have access and moving water, snags help too. 

It's often worth looking on google maps to find ways to access out of the way spots. 

Another option is look for places where other people are fishing, take out the rod and in a friendly way ask how they are biting, if they have a few watch what they do and give it a try. 

3 hours ago, Stevo83 said:

Hi all, weather is looking mint this weekend in my neck of the woods, finally! So I'm planning on heading out but I find myself often just driving around with no idea where to fish, or what I should be looking for would be interested in finding out how people go about finding new spots or just exploring for good ground in general, any youtube or website recommendations about the subject would be welcome to.

Cheers

Hi Stevo

I am not sure where you are fishing but Ryan Moody has some good information on his YouTube channel.

Cheers Hamish 

On the boat -

If you have generic marks, use them as a guide. Then have a sound around that general area in conjunction with contours on your GPS and sounder.

Keep an eye on your sounder when traveling, as well. Even if you have to travel a bit slower to get the read on the bottom.

What to look for.

Structure. A change in depth or an obvious bump on the bottom. I like a good drop off with some lumpy ground around it. That's for Moreton Bay. Offshore you'd be looking for stuff coming up out of the bottom. Pinnacles etc.

What's your situation with regard to boat size and area you're looking to fish. There are plenty of GPS marks to be found on the internet - even on here (search GPS Marks).