Reel Recommendations for Jacks.

FishingCrazy

Hi all,

my reel that I have been using for catching jacks is on its last legs, it is a midrange priced daiwa 4000 size ($250) and from the heavy pressure jacks put on them its stripped and struggling. 

I am after another egg beater in the 4000 size again that will handle jacks well and also stand up to the harsh life it gets kayak fishing getting salt water splashed on it a lot. 

Looking at spending up to $250 again, cheaper if posable, but would go a bit over $250 if it will last well getting jack and salt punishment.

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I don’t fish for jacks but I reckon a Shimano Stradic FL or Diawa BG would work well for your application. They are both around 250 dollars, and I like using my stradic a lot.

Cheers Hamish 

Thanks, I'll check them out, Stradic FL was on my list but haven't seen the Daiwa BG.

Was just looking at the Shimano Ultegra 4000, seems solid, 10-year warranty, seems well sealed from the salt. 

I bought a BG last year. And then I bought another one. Both 4000. Plenty of solid drag. I've tightened it up and scull dragged fish to beat the sharks without problem when I've had to. Can't say I've worried too much about salt water ingress as that's not an issue for me, but getting a drenching from freshwater has had no effect.

Make sure you have a look online at Freddy's Online and Davo's Tackle - they are usually very competitively priced. Freddy's is free postage when you spend more than $89, not sure about Davo's.

50 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I bought a BG last year. And then I bought another one. Both 4000. Plenty of solid drag. I've tightened it up and scull dragged fish to beat the sharks without problem when I've had to. Can't say I've worried too much about salt water ingress as that's not an issue for me, but getting a drenching from freshwater has had no effect.

Make sure you have a look online at Freddy's Online and Davo's Tackle - they are usually very competitively priced. Freddy's is free postage when you spend more than $89, not sure about Davo's.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'm off to check out Freddy's Online and Davo's Tackle now, never used their sites before, might go hide my credit card somewhere first before it gets a hammering. lol

On 21/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Terry H said:

When you say stripped, is it the drag washers? If so, they could be felt washers - easily replaceable and even upgradeable to carbon fibre. CF will be less smooth but certainly won't flog out. 

Check whether Anaconda have the gear you want as well. They're often not the cheapest which is why they're so good 🙂 Use them for their 10% price beat guarantee.

Yes, the drags shot but also the anti-reverse, had drag locked up and a jack hit hard, reel made a clunk as handle spun backwards. lol

I opened up the reel to find a few small bits of broken metal. It's a 13-year-old reel that's lived a hard life kayak fishing, getting dunked in the salt a lot and little maintenance so can't really complain.

Anyway, I ended up going for the Shimano Ultegra 4000, feels nice and solid, and BCF had a special that you get a Shimano Ultegra rod of choice thrown in for free. It's a $120 rod so not a bad deal, rod feels just as good as some of the higher end rods, but time will tell.

Now all I need is a bit of time to get on the water and test them out.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations.