G'day

Coconutdog

Welcome to the forum Matt.

Done 7 years in Rocky, fished all that country mostly army training area

you could drive all up ther in the 70's.Was no roads then only bush tracks

Used to take most of the day to get from byfield to 5 Rocks and winch most of that.

All changed now, I'd get lost there now.

Look forward to your reports.

Thanks ellicat, will be asking many questions. I'm a bit of a newbie and haven't been fishing for many years. My rod is ancient but I bought a new reel recently at a BCF sale. Still need to get line and tackle though. I'm not too sure what I'll need in this department. Some of the talk of lures etc on here and other places is a bit cryptic but I'm sure I'll pick it up with reading & research. Couldn't be worse than some of the acronyms that Defence comes up with.

I think it was a Prymil Zephyr 4000. On special at BCF. It's packed away in a box ready for the move. Only a basic reel but should be good for starters. I've also got a Sportfisher BoatRiot FPS-20 rod which someone gave me about twenty years ago. There have been plenty of for sales on the Yeppoon/Rocky FaceBuy site so I'll keep my eyes open there.

Can you suggest a line & lure setup for flathead?

Matt.

Hi Matt

For flatties, try a 2500 or 3000 size reel (which ever you prefer based on size), personally I would go with a 2500 reel as it is small enough to be comfortable to fish with but big enough to put some good force on the fish. Something from Shimano like a Sedona, Sienna, or Sahara, or from Diawa you could get an Aird. Obviously you can upgrade the reel or look for a better quality reel, but to begin with a reel like them would be ample. As for rods, something in the 2-4KG to 3-6KG range would work well, from experience I like an Abu Garcia Veritas, but an Atomic Arrowz rod is also supposed to be good. Spool it with about 10 pound braid and buy some ten and fourteen pound leader, some plastics, jigheads, and deep divers and you’re in with a good chance of a flatty! 
Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish, I'll look them up on the BCF website. There have been lots of for sales on Facebook Yeppoon recently and some look like good bargains. A bloke at Kinka Beach had a massive garage sale this weekend, looked like he was selling an entire fishing shop. My daughter went there and bought me a whirlybird roof ventilator brand new for $10. I'll have a closer look when we're up there permanently later this month. 25 days to go.

Matt.