Anyone used a Shimano Calcutta Conquest DC?

Bob9863

I've gotten out of baitcasting gear, but I still have a few rods left and I'm considering getting a Shimano Calcutta Conquest DC to put on them. 

I'm just a bit each way on if they have any advantages in any situation that might make buying one worth while over a similar weight/size spin outfit. That's in relation to casting distance and accuracy. 

• Bob9863 changed the title to Anyone used a Shimano Calcutta Conquest DC?
19 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I've gotten out of baitcasting gear, but I still have a few rods left and I'm considering getting a Shimano Calcutta Conquest DC to put on them. 

I'm just a bit each way on if they have any advantages in any situation that might make buying one worth while over a similar weight/size spin outfit. That's in relation to casting distance and accuracy. 

I am not familiar with that particular model but as a general rule, I find the baitcaster reels (for me) are more accurate when casting, and you don't get any line twist with them. That said, they do have their downsides too, such as not being able to cast light weights well with them and the lighter the weight the more potential "birdnests" you may get if you don't get the settings or your thumb right. I try to get baitcasters that have a magnetic drag (preferably) or a centrifugal setup in them and preferably with both. I am assuming that the "DC" part of the Conquest means that it has some sort of electronic backlash control built into it, so I have no experience on how well they handle backlash.

I suppose it depends on what fish and environment that you are fishing in and targeting, having said that, I do have a soft spot for baitcasters and prefer them, although I have several of each I always grab the baitcasters over the spinning reels. The rest are overheads so not really baitcasters as such. They each have their uses, ie; if I was in the boat and chasing tuna that were eating small baitfish then the small spin setup with a very light lure would be the go, but once the lure weight went up, then my go to setup would be to grab the baitcasters. I find them much nicer to fish with, but that could be just me.😀

Yeah that's what I'd have it for. 

Light lures no way, but cod/jacking setup, hell yeah. 

Shorter rods straight up. 

The accuracy is amazing. 

Bait casters in that range are unbeatable imo, but you always take both because they both fish completely different. 

Sometimes it's just the action you get from a bc. 

And from what I've seen Bob, you've got a good collection of spinners, be good to see that puppy in a nice cod pic, or trout.

I say do it. Bait casters are great fun. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bob,  Have a look at the new Conquest MD.  I had a look and feel of the 300 size at two different stores locally and like all high end Shimano are just glorious pieces of machinery.  I understand with this latest version they have lowered the palming side of the reel again over the last series Conquest.  They are apparently in short demand.

I have not used a DC reel but heard a few comments about the noise and then there is the sheer number of Curado DC’s that come up second hand and I wonder if the noise thing is a real issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you Bob -lol.     Forced me to buy a Conquest MD since you wouldn’t!!

Digitaka to the rescue again.

Not sure whether I will run it on a Millerods OneFreak or maybe but a longer 7 foot swimbait rod.  Picked up a 7 foot ACM custom on a 10-17lb North Fork blank and its sweet.  Never thought I would like a bait caster that long but it so nice to cast. 

7A106AF5-57D8-4316-8754-17C1EB04EBB1.jpeg