Hi guys, im looking for a boat preferable something under 5k so i was thinking a tinny and maybe doing it up a bit. Was wondering what size i should get, thinking of going moerton bay, fraser island and straddie island, also the sea way and port of brissy. Whats the smallest size boat i should get for those condiitons since i know seaway and seawall can be quite rough sometimes

Thanks

3 hours ago, mzaakir said:

Hi guys, im looking for a boat preferable something under 5k so i was thinking a tinny and maybe doing it up a bit. Was wondering what size i should get, thinking of going moerton bay, fraser island and straddie island, also the sea way and port of brissy. Whats the smallest size boat i should get for those condiitons since i know seaway and seawall can be quite rough sometimes

Thanks

Something like a 429 rampage, 420 dory, 419 bass tracker or 420 busta would be perfect for what your looking for, running with a 40 - 50hp would get you anywhere in the bay on a good day.

What hull did you buy?

I suggest your maiden run should be to the Brisbane Port outer wall....that way you will get a taste of how the weather affects the boat whilst still being in a fairly populated area in case you need somebody around. Aim for 10 to 15 knots for this run just to get to know your boat more than anything. I wouldn't venture past Mud Island on the maiden voyage unless it is quite calm. You need to prove seaworthiness and reliability to yourself before a big run.

Some great advice here. 4.7m is a good versatile length - like @mangajack I'd be interested to know what hull it is. Also, what size motor are you putting on it?

Be careful around the Brisbane River mouth, particularly on an outgoing tide if it is against the wind, as it can get real hairy. I'm not sure what boating experience you have but if you're a new boatie or relatively inexperienced I'd be conservative at first. Also, in the bay, factor in the wind direction versus tide direction as this will have a big impact on your ride experience (which impacts both safety and how wet you get in an open boat).

Put some pics up once you have it 🙂.