My new toy

Feral

Well I scored \"tennis elbow\" as a result of my winter Lenthalls trip in my left arm. Catching all those bass on my 2kilo Wilson Live Fibre Rod.

So trying to learn to use a normal baitcaster has been an interesting experience. Its almost impossible to have a smooth casting action when your elbow hurts! I have been fishing holding the rod in my right hand for spinning reels, worked well, no pain. Unfortunately baitcasters cant be turned around like a spinning reel.

So when Mo Tackle's newsletter dropped into my in box, I saw they had a Left Handed Pflueger Trion baitcaster for only $39. So figuring it was a message from the fishing gods, I immediately ordered one!

It arrived today, great looking reel, just got to decide what to spool it with. As it will primarily be used for bass, I am leaning towards 6lb mono, maybe even Vanish.

P1090451.jpg

P1090452.jpg

Ta Kevin, but I like 6lb mono for Bass! Nice and thin. 6lb Flouro's a bit thicker, but I have half a spool in the shed.

Maybe later on when I learn to use it a bit better I might upgrade to some heavier braid for Lenthalls, in case I can entice one of the remaining Barra out to play!

I've got baitcaster from 1kilo to 10kilo in the shed, probably start with the 4 -8 unit (dont want to stuff my other elbow!)

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread Feral but I am wondering what people reckon would be a decent rod to suit this reel around $100?? I have a few Casting rods but they are about 15 years old and pretty crusty.

It'd be nice to have something new to play with. I'm guessing a Bass Raider or maybe a Procaster??

Or maybe a River raider

Dan23 wrote:

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread Feral but I am wondering what people reckon would be a decent rod to suit this reel around $100?? I have a few Casting rods but they are about 15 years old and pretty crusty.

It'd be nice to have something new to play with. I'm guessing a Bass Raider or maybe a Procaster??

Or maybe a River raider

A Mojiko Tournament Rod would go nice.

They retail for about $160 but Anaconda is always up for a bargain ;)

Come in and see me at the Logan store if you like.

I'll do one for you, for $100 if you like ;)

I tried out the Trion today. It's pretty much as you can expect for a $39 reel. I can cast pretty far with it but only because I took most of the brakes off. You wouldn't want to own this reel if you don't already have an \"Educated thumb\". Only down side is when I took the side off to removes some brakes I put it back together and the release bar wasn't working. I pulled it apart and noticed you have to hold the bar up when closing it or it stuffs up. Plus I did a big cast and the release bar locked up. I had to take it apart and lock it back into place.

I think I'll mainly use this reel for trolling and using for really heavy weights like big poppers and half ounce jig heads.

Using it has made me want to get a really nice BC oufit now.

Well had a half hour practice session in the yard with my Trion this morning. Quite impressed.Casts nicely (I think I am finally getting the hang of these bait casters - it seems that you need all the action is at the start of the cast, not building to wards release like normal reels).

Kept a pair of local juvenile butcher birds happy, hitting my lure mid air and chasing it along the ground on the retrieve (no hooks of course)

Now all I need is for the weather to clear up so I can go catch some Bass!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys but this reel is rubbish. I used it twice. Once in 70-80% fresh and once in salt. Only fish caught was that Jack from the other day also cleaned it after each use. The trigger kept slipping on me every time I used it and I had to keep opening it up and realigning it. That was annoying but not critical. Today I went to use it and the handle was locked up.

We pulled it apart and all the roller bearing were stuffed. It's now headed for the museam next to my Shimano Coriolis with the broken worm shaft (that reel lasted 15 years and caught many many big fish).

So yeah, Feral especially, only use it in fresh water salt will destroy it totally. I might be writing it off badly too, it may have only been intended for fresh water but I didn't read that anywhere but might have missed it.

What can you expect for $39 though...

Bring on a Revo STX :laugh:

well, i don't wanna sound like an expert but i don't think opening sideplate and taking off brakes will cause the bearings to corrode. common sense, hah?

it must have been written that all ball bearings r only made of standard stainless steel, which can corrode in hrs after used in SW fishing. so if feral do some estuary fishing with that reel, it's gonna stuck in 2 days i reckon.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

well, i don't wanna sound like an expert but i don't think opening sideplate and taking off brakes will cause the bearings to corrode. common sense, hah?

it must have been written that all ball bearings r only made of standard stainless steel, which can corrode in hrs after used in SW fishing. so if feral do some estuary fishing with that reel, it's gonna stuck in 2 days i reckon.

Yeh Kevin Chen ure really talking bout a locked up handle

hey dan23

in my oppinion!

i dont think pulling it appart had anything to do with the roller bearings corroding! it was prob missaligned from factory or something symple like a seal/oring split! hence letting water in and corroding the bearings?:dry:

but what can ya expect from a 40yen reel?:lol:

i pull my rells down all the time and they are still fine!;)

thats what they are for! to pull appart and play with!:P

Ian

Feral wrote:

Well had a half hour practice session in the yard with my Trion this morning. Quite impressed.Casts nicely (I think I am finally getting the hang of these bait casters - it seems that you need all the action is at the start of the cast, not building to wards release like normal reels).

Kept a pair of local juvenile butcher birds happy, hitting my lure mid air and chasing it along the ground on the retrieve (no hooks of course)

Now all I need is for the weather to clear up so I can go catch some Bass!

Don't over think it Feral just be as one with your arm and wrist, see the spot where you want the fish to take the lure, let the motion take you to where you want your lure and bring home the bacon - nothing too it.

In its defence the reel worked well and casted fine. I never got one birdsnest but had lots of line digging (not really the reels fault). And don't tell me they're the same thing because they aren't.

Yeah, pulling it apart may have been why the trigger no longer worked but it was designed to be pulled apart regularly to adjust the brakes. It recommends you do so in the manual. Doesn't matter, only got it to see if I liked a left hand BC and I loved the feel so I'll go buy a left hand Revo STX in maybe 4-5 months plus maybe a nice rod to match. Motackle has an STX and loomis combo I'm drooling over for only $600.

Gotta go now, I'm taking some off shore gear in my Kayak to troll my new Classic F18 lol:laugh: 120mm lure - 20lb fireline - 50lb leader - 40lb wire

I can't cast with that, trolling only.

If I bust up I'm quitting fishing.:S

Nah I already said he can have it. Dad stuffed it up putting it back together without the diagram though so now the handle back peddles. I'll just wait 5 months and get a left hand Revo STX there might be a few cheap ones around by then. At the moment I'm making do with a 30lb big game spinning outfit lol same one my dad landed a 25kg longtail on:laugh: . Hooked a Jack cast and retrieving yesterday too:laugh: :laugh: Unfortunately none of the 3 trebles connected. The perfect shaped teeth imprint on the 12cm lure showed it wasn't that big. I'd say only 40cm. I just sharpened up the hooks....:silly:

I wish I still had a baitcaster :( I might do up the old ambassador and wind some braid onto it. Or maybe I can put some 20lb braid on your axis Kev??:)

Archived