yeppoon trip 27/06-8/07 [mackerel!]

AUS-BNE-FISHO

1 hour ago, Angry51 said:

You filled up every day of your holidays Hamish, you're definitely  a rolling stone. I was thinking the same as Brett, you wouldn't have had time to talk to grandma much you were away fishing every day.😂

Good report, enjoyed reading, thanks.

Thanks Angry. 

1 hour ago, Thorbjorn Hale said:

Great report hamish, it wouldve been really cool to land a longie off the rocks, i think its better to lose one and know you can catch them than to not hook anything at all.

Thanks Thorbjorn, it was still good to hook up. 

1 hour ago, mzaakir said:

Hopefully next time you get something big, was very enjoyable to read. Ive noticed if there's lots of waves, cast a stickbait or popper into the whitewash thats around the 100mm to 120mm mark, 80mm would be the smallest i go and slowly work it for about 15-20 feet, then reel it in. Alternatively using 60-80g slow pitch jigs have caught me so many fish off the rock, nomad gypsea jigs is my preferred jig. I like longer rods on the rocks as well and tend to use a 5k minimum. Daiwa saltists are good since they resist the saltwater very well. I use a daiwa demonblood 932 pe 2/4 on a 6k saltist and ive found it nice, works for me. Hope you enjoyed your trips, your hard work will pay off eventually mate.

Cheers mzaakir, thanks for the tips. I tried some small jigs (20g) but only caught grinners, so will try some larger lures next time. 

50 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Super photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel. 

11 hours ago, mangajack said:

Thanks for the report Hamish.

I think we used to hit Double Heads for macs in October....lure of choice back then was Pegrons.

Seems to be schoolies there most of the year, spots in several short periods and spaniards could be anytime but not common.

No worries mangajack. I think the best period for fishing is the end of August-around then because the water is normally quite clean, which means the baitfish are in close with the bigger fish. 

9 hours ago, ellicat said:

You sure gave it a good whirl. Bummer about the tuna, Hamish.

I wonder if the herring would be any good for strip baits ??

Thanks Brian. I saw a couple people using them as deadbaits but they only hooked up to bream/wobbygong/shovelnose/grouper. I think floating live herring is the best way to fish there with baits. I was told the wolf herring are a good bait for trolling for Spanish mackerel.