$500 to spend @ BFC - what spinning gear to get ?

username_taken

Its hard to go past (in my personal opinion) a Stradic or for a little more a Twin Power. Awesome reels that will last ages if taken care of. And you are already on the Shimano theme so yeah.

If you want a quality, inexpensive rod, i really enjoy using my 2-4kg Starlo Stick. Its about 7 foot.

If you get a Stradic and a Starlo you will have enough change to buy an assrtment of lures, leader and braid.

Hope that helps.

Byt the way the new Stradics do look hot.

Angus

Everyone has their peference. I frikkin wish i was spnsored by Shimano!! For my personal uses, which mostly involves fishing plastics in rough water, i find the Shimano, for lack of a better word, a Sturdier reel.

In saying that, it was a couple of weeks ago i made a thread about how impressed i was with teh Daiwa Freams Kix. Tanya has a Daiwa Freams Kix 2000 and I have the 4000 model. These are almost identical to the Sol (one less bearing) but a lot cheaper. Ill be using my Freams Kix 4000 a lot at straddy for bigger plastics and for blue water kayak fishing.

Angus

I agree with everything that Angus has said, especially on the sturdy note. I've just bought a Shimano Symetre for bait fishing in the bay and even at the 2500 size, it feels like it could easily handly a drag burning Tuna. Can't wait till I get my Twin Power for Chrissy:woohoo:

In my opinion, for that money get a Shimano Stradic (the new one) and match it with a Raider rod of some sort. That should end up less than $400 so with the extra money, buy your self some awesome braid and a couple of spools of flurocarbon leader and you should be set.

To clarify this for me, is this set-up going to be for light lure fishing or some other method:dry:? The above stuff would be good for the lures for Bream.

But by no means is Shimano the only option. I'm like Angus, I like to use Shimano over other brands, but it is a personal preference. In saying this, I havn't actually used a higher end Daiwa, Okuma or Abu reel (or other reputable brand), but I've used a lot of good Shimano stuff, so that's why I reccomend them over other brands. Also the 10 year warranty is a good selling point.

Enjoy spending all that money on Fishing gear:)

Nastymind wrote:

You'll find, people only recommend what they use and know.

It's a bit like Ford Vs Holden.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on Shimano Vs Daiwa.

Anyway mate, may i suggest......

A Daiwa Sol outfit

I've had some really positive feedback on the whole range.

Yeap good call Nasty.

Hey Angus to get sponsored you gotta win some comps - but you can't cause you are busy running them.:P :P (Maybe I should change my name to Nasty.

thanks, cowfish.

for any spinning reels less than 500, i prefer shimano. a td-sol will offer u the performance that twinpower might not match but after a bit of use, twinpower will stand out. so get a twinpower of that's in ur budget. a raider will be a good match for twinpower and it's only around 100. u can spend the rest on line, leader and lures.

In my oppinion a daiwa tierra or sol matched with a T-curve rod would be perfect. Should fit in your price range as well. I have a Sol and have had it for the past 18months and it is still as smooth as the day i bought it. A mate of mine bought a Twin Power the same time as I got the Sol and well, the difference between the two reels after a year was massive. The twin power had become a lot less smooth and matched with the complementary wind knots you recieve from the Shimanos, he no longer owns the reel.

The t-curve rods are great and the best from what I have seen at BCF.

Troy (Blue_mako) would be the person to ask as he works in BCF and would have some good advice regarding your question.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I ended up getting a Daiwa Sol and a Rack Raider. The Sol and Twinpower both felt great, but I decided to give Daiwa a go. Got bagged up by Plastic Fantastic who seemed to think I made the right choice. You'll have to show me the right spot at Colleges once I've got it spooled up.

I got a 4pd and a 10pd fireline for it, with some 4kg platty pre-stretch for backspooling with. A couple of lures, and some steel leader to do a shark run ( not on the new rod obviously! ) and I was $1.60 over budget... sweeet!

Archived