SX48: my first fish on a HB.

tomca

I love Sx40s but I've hooked too many better fish on them and the little owners just crumble. I'm starting to buy more lures in the 6-12cm range and am looking at replacing the hooks with those VMCx6 Trebles Mackmauler was talking about. Those owner hooks are great for setting the hooks but they are really weak and either bend back or get pushed in. Still, for bream they are great but the the by catch is frustrating because you struggle to land hard biting/fighting fish like Cod and Jacks. Maybe I'll change my bream lures to something a bit stronger and put up with the missed strikes.

yeah that might be the trick. i know the 29.5 cm bream that i caught that day in shultz bent one of the hooks on the treble fairly badly. As for moving to a bigger lure, you can always try using an sx 60 or xwraps for bream. the smaller ones may not go for them but atleast you will be able to handle the bigger bream aswell as any other bigger species that might go for the lure. i know mack attack has caught a fairly decent bream on his sx 60.

You should really give shultz a go. Although its not the prettiest place to fish, suprosingly there are some pretty decent fish there. When myself, mackattack and cowfish go we always catch atleast 2 or 3 fish each. Our main fish that we catch are bream (our biggest i think was 32cm), but we also catch flathead (in one evening caught 6 flathead all of which were around 50cm long) as well as mangrove jack (one that would have been 40cm+ took my sx 40 :angry: )and estuary cod (ive seen jordan catch one that would have been close to 50cm maybe even bigger).

yeh ive seen some decent fish caught from there, its just that there are so many good spots to fish here on the sunny coast. EG the mooloolah river, I can go out and get 10+ bream most times with 87 the most ive got. and the size is between 28cm and 45cm+. Ill head down and give it a crack just to get out and meet a few of you guys

Lee

Me and Kev might hit schultz this arvo if the weather is ok.

And yes Lee you are a big lad. You could probably get paid good money as a security guard lol.

It'd be hilarious to see you stomping around schultz bare foot:P

BTW did you know Kev reckons he got bitten by a snake that day??

Archived