Best place to buy fishin gear?

webbfunk

I usually go to The Tackle Shop at Carseldine, Mainly because the blokes know what their talking about, I know a few of u from here work at bcf and im sure u know what ure talking bout but some of the dickheads i've seen their wouldnt no shit from clay. I occasionaly go to bcf for specials or if i get gift vouchers but mainly go to the tackle shop.

eBay can be ok for reputable brands, but I don't buy too much off it.

BCF is good when I have the time to go there.

Tackle warehouse on Old Cleveland Rd is a bit more expensive than other tackle shops, but everyone in there is eager to help you as soon as you walk in the shop, so most of my money goes there.

When I'm making a big order of lures, leaders and other things like that, I use MOTackle.com.au Good prices and very fast delivery.

I live too far away from any Tackleworld to go there regurally, but my Dad went to the Underwood store and he said it was great.

I buy 90% of my gear at my local, Allround angler at cabooture.. there prices are good, sometime a few bucks more, sometime less. but if factor in fuel to driver to another shop,, they have a great range.. the boys a helpful.. I have shopped there for the best part of 15 years, so i do get looked after on the prices..

I do spend alot of $$$ on fishing gear... Shhhhhhhh don't tell the little lady of the house lol

Noel

Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo has probably accounted for most of my fishing dollars over the past 15 years or so. They're usually pretty helpful unless they've got a mate to chat to ;) . More recently (and since joining the site) I've been donating a few bucks to Tackleworld Tingalpa. Haven't found them to be great on the help side of things but I'm pretty shy so don't ask for much of it.

I've become far too disorganised to buy off ebay for a while, mostly needing to get stuff at the last minute.

Can't say I've even bought a hook from BCF. They like to make certain they've finished there social chatting before they even think to notice someone not wearing the same uniform.......but it's a great store to look at other stuff.

The Tingalpa store has died in the ass in a big way, I didn't mind paying the extra $$$ for thier gear because they were very helpfull. Well the last few times I've been there the same guy has served me and he gives the impresion that he wants to just sit on his ass and take my money, so I can piss off and he can do nothing again!

Oh tell a lie, When I was there not long ago looking at the Gulps I had a funny feeling, So I turned around and looked at the counter and spotted the guy peeking through 1 of the stands making sure that I was'nt trying to steal anything:blink: . I've spent a heap of $$$ there WTF was he thinking:ohmy: ? I wont be back there till he's gone. The owner is a top bloke and extremly helpfull, It's a friggen shame. So as I've posted in another thread I'll be going to Underwood for now on. Andrew get out them Jackall's because here I come;)

Jayson

currently i ask for a rod at amart but most of y cash in the past went through tackle world at sandgate or caltex at carseldine all the stores i go to give great advice when needed and are good for a laugh but when your mate works at a store its hard not to go see him for a chat if nothing else :)

Big W and Kmart are my first stops, coz the missus just thinks she must have bought something on that day when the credit card statement comes through! :)

But generally I share it around, All round Angler, Amart, Outdoor shop at Morayfield, Jones tackle, rarely at BCF, Whitworths and Bias for boat stuff, I get around!

If I'm chasing freshwater lures I shop at Fish n Bits in Toowoomba. They've got freshwater lures that are very hard to find in Qld as well as thousands of good Aussie barra lures.

Even better, they are very friendly and know their stuff.

If I'm shopping over the phone I regularly do business with MO Tackle at Coffs.

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with angus i have bought from both but i find the service at bcf to be blunt because of the young people not having developed good communication skills were as tackle world they seem to have more of an interrest in what they sell and do. (thats just what i find in most big stores full stop )to me its just sell sell sell. not all young sales people just most of them.does any 1 else feel this way when walking into a big store bcf / bunnings etc .

I think that most people think along those same lines.

There are a few exceptions (especially members of AFO:)), but most of the bigger outlets can't really help you much. Then you go to a place like Tackle Warehouse or Tackle World, and you have someone guide you around the shop helping you choose the right stuff for a specific application.

I've been making the trip over to tackle warehouse a fair bit just because they have really awesome gear there that you don't see anywhere else I've been. They have some stuff pretty cheap too but other stuff is a bit exy. I love their lure selection the most. But they are also the only store I've seen in Brisbane that sells Megabass rods.

im definitly not knocking any of the guys that work at bcf that r members of afo im sure if u went in u would get top service. and there r the 1s that love what they do , these people stick out like sore thumbs but on a hole u can tell by there body language that they dont really care its just a job.may be im getting old but this is enough 4 me to turn an walk out the door.im quite happy 2 pay more to get the service i want.:dry:

Dan23 wrote:

I've been making the trip over to tackle warehouse a fair bit just because they have really awesome gear there that you don't see anywhere else I've been. They have some stuff pretty cheap too but other stuff is a bit exy. I love their lure selection the most. But they are also the only store I've seen in Brisbane that sells Megabass rods.

i know what you mean. Will got his pfleuger president for $199 back when the retail price was $379.

But on the other hand they sell gulps for $11 when the average price is around $9.50

I try an support my local shops where I can, but I do spread it around it a bit.

Getting mellow in my old age to - got charged the wrong price at Anaconda on some halco split rings today, got charged 4.99 when they were marked 2.99. In days gone by I would have not darkened their door step again, cant be stuffed now, its only a couple of dollars and they were old stock, probably just someone to lazy to change the price tags. We all make mistakes (gee I have mellowed, I cant believe I said that!)

blue_mako wrote:

Haha what now, do you know who served you? I want to pay them out at my next shift :P :laugh: . Was it a chick or a guy?

Troy

Might have been you lol:laugh:

Actually that day you served me I realised when I got home I bought 300 yards of 20lb Tuff line. I only meant to buy half that. Oh well, I have a butt load left over to use up one day.

hey guys,

while we're having a bitch about the larger chains i might add my gripe with bcf. last night i went into the virginia store to change the size of a pink shimano fishing shirt i got my wife for xmas, that all went well. while i was there i bought a shimano barra mauler rod to marry up with a penn erskine signature baitcaster i already have, the price on the rod said $119, when i got home i looked at the docket and was charged $129. i usually pay more attention at bcf registers but last night i was chatting to another customer at the checkout during the transaction. the reason i pay attention at the checkout is this is the 7th time this has occurred between the virginia and keperra stores since about august last year. how many times its happened to me prior to then is scary. usually one pays no attention, when you buy 2 lures a bag of plastics some braid and other bits and pieces, who would notice 10 bucks or so. how many millions are they making each year by either intent or incompetence. i know its only $10 but now i have to drive down there, keep the price on the cork butt, an inconvenience more than anything. and while i'm at it, have you ever noticed the lack of good specials on fishing gear at bcf, its always combos or stuff myself and many of you guys just don't buy as we tend to be a little more particular about our gear and what we want. i don't think they have ever had a discount on all fishing gear like there front on competitor anaconda. as customers, are we being valued or simply taken for a ride?

that'll do me.

buzz

hey reef,are you the fella who works at the lawnton store? if so, sorry if i've offended you in anyway. in the latest " this is as aussie as it gets" catalogue the only thing remotely tempting is the torium for $289, they throw in a free stick, which most of us wouldn't want anyway as we would prefer to choose our own. 15% off fins braid is ok too i guess.

buzz

A bit of knocking of young people and some retailers going on in this thread.

We were all young once and I dare say some may have left a bit to be desired in the work ethics and product knowledge department.

There are some good young people working out there and like us they have to learn the skills to communications and product lines etc as they go.

It doesn't matter if you purchase from a large store or your smaller local shop price errors happen. Human error in programing the correct prices into the computer or original price tags left on items on special. Impossible for the person on the register to know all the prices and specials going on specialy in larger stores.

It comes down to taking responsibilty for your own purchases and making sure you don't get done and if you are not happy with the service or prices don't shop there.

Archived