Interesting Statistics

Feral

This dawned on me today, after hearing of another good rod n reel setup going to Davey Jones locker.

Lots of blokes on here are very finicky about their gear - only the best (or expensive anyway) will do. Well fair enough someone has got to buy it :) But they are often down on the cheap gear, reckon it does not last.

well I reckon in the 2 years odd I have been on here, There has been many many more posts of blokes loosing top end gear, than there has been of blokes who have cheap gear fail on them!

So statistically that means the cheaper gear is staying in service longer!

:woohoo:

Hahah Clever Feral - karma to you.

In the last couple of years I have lost 2 outfits both costing over $500 and using Rays advise I have replaced em with better ones. But this stupid duck took em yaking and now both reels have been wet and scratched. Arrrrrrr :angry:

Sock horror - I am switching to the elcheapo models for the yaks - my budget is no more $125 for reels and same for rods. But now I gotta replace my good ones as well. :S

No wonder I am broke.

i believe some cheap gear can come very close in use to high end gear especially if you dont look after it if your a use it chuck it in the corner sort of person dont buy high end gear its a waste but there really is some crap gear around and some reasonable gear at a good price as an example my daughter got a 30 dollar shimano out fit that doesnt even have 1 bearing its all plastic bushes it has 6lb mono on it i watched her and a friend in the surf at bribie every time she baited up shed drop the but in the water and i mean the real was a few inches under at the ned of the day i cleaned the bail roler and nothing else it currently cast a lot further than my 200 dollaR phfluger that i bought a year later as i snapped the farkin thing pulling a bit of line of the drag when retying a leader and truth be told its really not far behind in casting ability compared to other rods the tip ring eventually went on her rod so i got another one and stuck chewing gum in it as i didn t have any glue the dam thing is still fine but as for smoothness in a real the more bearings the better till they rust and seize :blink:

I think that the high end gear is more suitable to the larger fish etc. My old man has these two jarvis walker rods with some other unknown reels on them and he is a throw em in the corner after a quick hose type of bloke. He has had them for well over 20 years. He also catches more fish with them than I do on my mid range gear.

That said I have seen the cheap stuff snap or tips and runners come off after about a year. But at 30 bucks a rod and reel combo it can be tossed every year for ten years to match the price of a mid range pen set up that may fail after 5.

Feral wrote:

Have not been fishing for a while, but caught me a cowfish, a rumrunner and a Rayke all in 30 minutes with that bait! :)

Come in spinner!:woohoo:

Oops missed the Fisher as well :)

i think your the one who has been caught mate!

caught out for using dodgy cheapo gear! lol:laugh:

i also dont think you are setting a very good example! expecialy as a moderator!

does this mean i can shit sterr people aswell?;)

almoast like laughing at peoples missfortunes!

not funny mate!

Ian

I used to think cheap gear would catch just as many fish and was just as good until I started using higher end gear. Now I realise that better quality equipment is far more sensitive and has less noise in the overall system. So with better gear you can really tell what your lure is doing in the water and you can detect if a fish it nudging at it, whereas with cheaper gear you'd have no idea.

I know some people won't believe me but it's true, higher end rods feed so much more information back and higher end reels last longer, are smoother and more pleasurable to use and they have stronger drags etc.

But for the average chuck a prawn on a hook fisherman there's plenty of cheap combos that will do the trick. It's just once you become an enthusiast that you start to want more from your gear.

I reckon you can parrallel cars and fishing gear here.

There is very little practicle need for most people to have a V8 Commodore SS or Falcon V's a 4 cyl Astra or Fiesta.

If well looked after, they all will get you from A to B, in everyday circumstance.

Put them on a racetrack for a specific purpose and the big boys come into their own.

Same with fishing gear. Your Loomis or T-Curve will catch the same bream that you land on your Jarvis Walker or Shakespeare, and in the majority of instances for most fisherman the expenditure is not warranted.

Go chasing bigger, harder running species on a continuous basis, then you will appreciate the performance of the more expensive gear.

Yes, in most instances you can feel the difference for your money, the real question is do you need it, or just want it?

Rocket

I just want it rocket:laugh:

But for finicky bream though you gotta admit extra sensitivity and casting distance has got to be a much needed plus.

For bait fishing I don't think it's anywhere near as important to have high end gear. In fact, slower actioned rods with floppy tips are often better.

rumrunner wrote:

Feral wrote:
Have not been fishing for a while, but caught me a cowfish, a rumrunner and a Rayke all in 30 minutes with that bait! :)

Come in spinner!:woohoo:

Oops missed the Fisher as well :)

i think your the one who has been caught mate!

caught out for using dodgy cheapo gear! lol:laugh:

i also dont think you are setting a very good example! expecialy as a moderator!

does this mean i can shit sterr people aswell?;)

almoast like laughing at peoples missfortunes!

not funny mate!

Ian

Maybe you should go through some of your old posts Ian?

You statred sh** stiring a long time ago. Careful you dont fall of your pedastool. We all like a sh** stir, but you gotta be able to take it as well as give it!

yeah whateva chubbs;) im no moderator mate thats for sure and i learnt my lesson the hard way!

i can take it any day of the week mate ;):P

but someone needs to set an eg around here

it seems whats good for the goose is......not good for the gander?:huh:

but oh well enugh said on this in my oppinion! thanks for the pep up feral and chubbs!

you've pumped me up enugh to go out and rip the leg of my merc and replace the impellor!:laugh:

atleast i got somthing positive from this thread!:woohoo:

cheers Ian.:kiss:

top-end gear provides the sensitivity, smoothness and refinement that mid range gear cannot compare.

no matter in what sort of fishing, knowing what ur bait is doing can get u so much advantage.

even in bait fishing, i don't like using any combo lower than 300AUD. in lure fishing, 500AUD combo is a standard that will at least gives u some real feel of the lure and the condition ur fishing.

for those who had never really used high end gear or those who r not experienced/skilled enough to tell the difference between high end gear and mid range stuff, using mid-range gear will do the job. but as soon as u get into serious fishing, bream gear must be stella+GLX or alike and bassing gear would be at least ZILLION+GLX, offshore? SALTIGA+SALTIST JIGGING or alike. so i always get the best of what i can afford.

i believe u buy the best u can with the budget u have got. i started with cheap gear and as i got better i improved on the gear ,i definitely notice that the mid/top end gear feels better much lighter and makes a differance if ur flicking lures all day. i still have my 1st reel i bought when i was 14yrs old im 35 now an its still going strong the thing is i dont use it now so it should last me a life time it cost me $30 dollars that took me a yr to save 4:laugh:i find that now days the cheaper stuff is made with grafite bearings and cheaper internals to the mid/top range having stainless steel. then u look at the old gear it was made with better internals then todays cheaper gear so i think thats why its still going strong

I reckon if you read this piece of Megabass advertising it'll make clearer what goes in to making a high end rod.

/>http://www.megabassusa.com/Destroyer%20Rods.htm

I know they will obviously talk themselves up but the philosophy of perfect weight balance to create the illusion of lightness and the way they engineer the rod to reduce anything that takes away from the feedback that you get is awesome.

If you pick up a megabass or loomis rod the first thing everyone says is how light they feel.

Also the craftsmanship on these higher end rods can be quite impressive. The little details don't add anything to the performance but are a nice aesthetic touch to remind you that you have a serious piece of equipment in your hands.

Like Rocket said, a cheaper car will still get you there. But the higher end model will do it better once the pressure is on and it feels a lot nicer to use.

Also, I don't own any high end rods (most expensive is only $200) yet because I think I'd probably break them with my clumsiness but I've used other people good gear and played around with lots of nice rods in tackle stores. Once I can afford to buy a Megabass and not stress about breaking it I definitely will.

Rumrunner - my sense of humour gets me in trouble often I did not mean to offend anyone!Sorry if I did.

Probably have not had a stir since you joined, so you wern't expecting it!

Dan and Kevin, you'll have to come up with a better example to convince me than bream - Bream's just shark bait to me! :)

No problems mate, but I'll probably be in my boat so I reckon I'll win.....

Also distance casting is no longer a big priority for me since I got tennis elbow, I have learned to just get as bit closer, and take it easier on the body!.

My baitcasters are for exactly that - bait! dropping straight over the side of the boat! I play with them casting, but really prefer spinning reels for casting because they're what I am used to.

one of my mates use to use $40 rods and reels untill he use my gear and worked out where how he was missing the bigger fish

with beter reels you can use lighter lines as the drag is better and smoother plus it is ligther

with the rods they cast better they are lighter when casting plastics all day you fell it at end of day

when tuna fishing it can mean 1 more cast that might be 1 more hook up

This thread is cracking me up :silly: All this ranting and raving about how sensitive the rod is and how strong the drag is and my Fav sx 40 and Jackel lures just because it cost's more sure as sheit dont mean it catches more fish A Good fisher man knows where when and how to present a bait ,lure or sp ;)

and more to the point how to use his tools ie: rod and reel

For example I have owned many ABU reels not high end and have never had one fail yet :woohoo: I actually had a guy from a well known fishing shop tell me I am wasteing my money putting 4lb braid on my little ABU cardinal as it would wreck the reel lol 9 months later the little reel has caught more fish including 63cm flattie /1.4 mt pike eel :blink:

and is still one of my fav reels same as my ABU 7000 10 years still going strong :woohoo:

to keep it short I have caught fish on Alluminium foil wrapped around a hook and many many fish on really cheap lures (most of the time I replace the trebles)

The bass pro's in the states and now in OZ are driving the price's higher and higher claiming you catch more what a crock of crap plastic is cheap so should lure's be

they are sponsored and get their gear for nothing of course they will tell you that jackals @ 29$ a pop are the only thing that works :silly:

I got some replica's from Big W for 3.98 and they work well

Gaz

Dan23 wrote:

polyphonic wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
We'll head to NPD in winter and see if your Trion can cast as far as Kev's MG7 lol:laugh:

Is this the same mg7 that was used once and then up for sale.:laugh:

No that was a DC7 or the Alphas ITO :laugh:

Sorry could'nt help myself.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=58901&catid=13&limit=20&limitstart=0

Gazza: I know that a tournament Bream angler would be able to catch a Bream on a 50c lure, but I had never caught a single Bream until I bought a SX40, then I caught heaps. So even if it is just a placebo, I have more confidence using a $20 lure than a cheap copy and if I'm catching fish on it, I'm happy to spend the extra dough:) I just don't want to lose it tho:dry::lol:

I find that with lure fishing, quality is very important, but when bait fishing, it doesn't matter as much. I had a full combo that all up cost me $70 from Kmart and I caught heaps of good fish on it. From a FOTM winning Mackerel to legal Snapper, Sweetlip, Flathead, Bream, Whiting and others.

Archived