Interesting Statistics

Feral

To make myself perfectly clear...

No you don't need expensive gear.

But it is much nicer to use and the extra performance is more than likely to help you catch more fish. Especially land based where casting distance and accuracy is critical.

For bait fishing it's probably not as much of a big deal.

Yes cheap lures do work but (some) more expensive ones work even better in that they swim truer. That said I have caught good fish on Kokoda lures and similar cheap brands.

Ultimately it has more to do with using the right lure in the right situation. So all the high end gear in the world won't help you if you don't know how to use it.

For me it's about fishing with confidence. I've had dodgy reels lock up on me mid fight and bust me off on good fish and with a higher quality model I know that is far less likely to happen.

When fishing from a boat for sharks or live baiting for threadies all you really need is a bloody strong rod like an ugly stick or a silstar powertip and a big sturdy reel. For that sort of fishing I don't think it is all that critical that you have the very best, just decent.

All just my opinion though. I don't think I know everything it's just what I've found to be the case.

polyphonic wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
polyphonic wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
We'll head to NPD in winter and see if your Trion can cast as far as Kev's MG7 lol:laugh:

Is this the same mg7 that was used once and then up for sale.:laugh:

No that was a DC7 or the Alphas ITO :laugh:

Sorry could'nt help myself.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=58901&catid=13&limit=20&limitstart=0

He ended up buying both :laugh:

You will probably find all the lures come out of the same Asian factory and have been fitted with crap trebles change the hooks walla a 5 $ sx40

For a fact Rebok runners come out of the cheapest factory that can make them at the time same deal I went for a job with uncle tobbies when they showed me around they did a product change :woohoo:

from Uncle tobbies musuilie (bad spelling) bars to no name bars guess what they changed the label :blink: product was the same

where I work same product different label diff price :silly:

so now tell me how much better they are

Gaz

Gazza wrote:

You will probably find all the lures come out of the same Asian factory and have been fitted with crap trebles change the hooks walla a 5 $ sx40

Gaz

They might be, but I'll still buy the SX40's and Camion's, and if I catch fish consistantly on them, I don't care what they cost.

Gazza wrote:

For a fact Rebok runners come out of the cheapest factory that can make them at the time same deal I went for a job with uncle tobbies when they showed me around they did a product change :woohoo:

from Uncle tobbies musuilie (bad spelling) bars to no name bars guess what they changed the label :blink: product was the same

where I work same product different label diff price :silly:

Gaz

i'll be really happy if u can find me some $5 sx40s with crap hooks and some $50 megabass orichi evozultion with crap guides

I know what you're saying gazza. Fosters and Crown larger are also pretty much the same thing.

But there's no doubting that some and I say some of the higher end lures do definitely have stronger actions than some of the cheaper ones.

Some higher end lures really show their abilities when you can work them fast or slow and they stay true to course. I've tried that with countless cheaper lures and find that they usually have an optimum speed of retrieval and anything faster or slower will cause them to swim to the side or just pop up out of the water.

gvibes are an obvious knock off of a jackall TN range and they do work well but the slight difference is that the jackalls have been proven to maintain action on the drop whilst gvibes simply float down without any action. That means the Jackals can be fished hard up against ledges etc where the cheaper Gvibes would be less effective.

I'm just trying to give some tangible examples.

I know what you're trying to say and in some instances you're very right, rebranding is abundant in the retail industry. Look at the scotty rod holders and berkley lip grips they sell for a quarter the price and I'm sure they are the same thing. But if you pick up a Loomis GLX and pick up a shakespear tempest you will instantly feel the difference even if it is only the weight. Use them both for a day each and you'll know which one you'll want to keep.

Once again, all just my own opinion.

Too all who are buying the 25-30 $ lures

dont you see you are only driving the prices higher they have you hooked you are the fish and they are reeling you in make your own it may surprise you :silly:

fish are not that smart OHH there's a sx40 gy vibe --- ex lure I'll bite that that is a load of crap annoy em enough and you will get a hit

put in the right spot with the right retrive any lure will work be it 40 cents or 40 dollars

Gaz

Bream are very different to that Gazza:)

Pike, Mackerel, Tailor and sometimes Jack's and Cod usually won't care about the quality, but Bream are very finicky and require a very life-like lure to catch them on

Remember, we are using Bream as an example. Other fish have very different behaviours.

It is your money Gazza. You can buy what you want and I'll buy what I want. I find that if you have confidence in a lure it will work regardless of brand.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Gazza: I know that a tournament Bream angler would be able to catch a Bream on a 50c lure, but I had never caught a single Bream until I bought a SX40, then I caught heaps. So even if it is just a placebo, I have more confidence using a $20 lure than a cheap copy and if I'm catching fish on it, I'm happy to spend the extra dough:)...snip...

lol after talking with you blokes about lures the sx40 came up and so I raced out to buy one, only to find I have 6 of them anyway that I have not caught a single fish on ever.. So the nice shiny new one is in the bait bag in the esky ready to go fishing. We head out and we are left with scraps of bait and I did not use the 20 buck lure. The old man cleans up at the ramp and the next day I realize the 20buck lure ended up in the bin with the rubbish and it never got wet. Lucky it was a 20buck lure and not a 4buck one thats for sure....

Faulked that I understand but I sometime struggle to do so. :S

What I mean is I sometimes leave the good ones at home cause they are too good to use. :blink: Weird I kno w- it has something to do with my history!:blush:

I gotta get over that by winning lotto then my good ones become the cheap ones and the new good ones are the ones I have not used from my new tackle store.

Archived