Look after ya motors

STU

After my trip to maroon and all the debri in the water some must of got sucked in there, I cleaned the outtake hose out but that was not enough cause as I was running the motor the water that was coming out was getting hot and my alarm went off which means overheating I spoke to Michael at Cooparoo Marine and he said bring it in cause I'm not the most mechanical minded person and didn't want to pull things apart and brake it even more:ohmy: The motor is due for a service so they will sought it all out at the same time so lesson learnt stay well clear of the debri next time I did lift the motor before coming close to it but maybe not quick enough.

Now for my bowmount electric motor 55lb minn kota ripetide it just decided to stop excelerating and was playing up big time the motor would still turn side to side but would not prepel.Since it is still under warranty I took it to BLA they are the aproved repairer for minnkotas but yesturday I took the prop off and there was some fireline wrapped around the shaft cut it off and the motor still would not work told this to the guy at BLA and he noticed at the top of the motor where a small screw is a small bit of rust and said cause the line wrapped around the shaft there is a rubber seal that it would push against and create a suction and let water in. The moisture travels up the motor to the circuit board and creates the motor to stuff up :dry: like it did still all under warranty he will fix it and replace the seal and have it back to me in a couple days:)

So he said to take the prop off after every use and check for tangled line which I now will do.So if you did not already know to do this it is recomended to prolong the life of your electric motors of any brand hope this helps.

Malcolm wrote:

Thanks for that Stu

I will have to check mine out.

Did you notice there was less water coming out or was it just hot?

At first there was no water coming out then I unblocked the hose to the motor then water was coming out but it felt hot but if there was crap in the hose good chance there is crap in the motor

Archived