Caloundra Adventure! 30th - 2nd

pinkey

Hey all

Been at Caloundra for the last few days, the fishing was very tough, but still very fun.. Just like my last trip at the Tweed, In this one I also caught something weird/rare for its location, and also broke somthing.. :P.

I arrived on Whensday, and after unpacking went down to Caloundra Fishing World grab a lure or two. I picked up some bargins, i got a strike pro pygmy for $7.50 and a river2sea Baby Crank 40mm also for $7.50 for Bream, along with a packet of 1/8th nitro jigheads and a packet of Atomic 3inch Jerk Minnows for Trevs, Queenies ect so i hoped. Straight after that i went down to the Caloundra Boardwalk to flick a few softies, tried all sorts of retrives fast, fast jerky, slow with big twitches, slow with little twitches, medium roll's ect but couldnt raise a touch.. So it was off to the Pelican Water Canals for a quick late arvo sesh. As soon as i got down there, i spied a Ray lying in the sand.. I thought "what the heck, i might aswell test the drag of my Tierra and my new raider, so a quick flick infront of him and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz he was fighting awsome and is started to get some ground on him and bring him back on the 4lb fireline, but he stuck to the bottom :angry: and i couldnt reef him up on the 4lb, then ping time to do some popping.. Tied on a 35mm r2s bubble pop in the clear colour, and started blooping.. Casted over some shallow flats and started slow blooping, then Yay my first propper bream strike on a surface lure but it misses the hooks and creates a lovely boil behind the popper.. after that it went quite and i walked around abit more but couldnt raise a look. I was about to go when i fired a cast in close to a pontoon and started blooping it back, i got about 2 - 3 hits but for no hookup, I couldnt get the follower to down the lure, but it still was heart racing stuff.. So that was day 1.. Nothing caught only a bust off from a ray on sp, and a few hits from bream on my bubblepop 35..

I got up early on Thursday and went straight back to the canals at around 7:30ish, It was very quite at the start, i was walking around flicking all over the place for nothing only the odd follow from some finniky bream on my Strike pro Pygmey, Gee Canal bream can be a pain to tempt sometimes.. I started walking over one of the bridges, I looked down and the bridge pilon looked extremly tempting, so i dropped my pygmey over the side close to one of the big concrete slabs/pilons, It is a slow sinking lure so i just let it slowly sink down next to the slab giving it a couple of twitches, a couple of tiny bream raised up to have a look, then to my excitedment a large dark fish rose up and had a look, I'm pretty sure it was a jack, unless it was a horse old dark bream or a curious luderick :P. It was to akward fishing there with that hb, so i moved in search of more spots, I then found these sweet little short creek things going into a drain wich leads to these little lakes, when i saw the lakes i instantly thought "Tarpon Tarpon" i put on a softie to see if i could raise something, walked to the drain and just flicked down, not long after pulled my first fish of the trip, a 18 oddcm Moses perch, nothing great but abit of fun took a pic and back he went. I moved around to the lakes and flicked my popper everyhwere.. for nothing :dry: kept walking and i spied a tiny creek to the side. I walked over and it looked perfect for abit of an adventure, its kinda like schultz, but more natural structure, like sunken logs ect and its alot more narrow from about 3m - 10 wide roughly. I started exploring and casting neer some jacky looking snags, i had no hope realy on the 4lb line but i was curious.. kept walking and found some awsome looking territory.. but then something bad happend, abit embarrasing but ill share it anyway :P. I started to feel sick in the tummy and needed to go to the toilet pretty bad, and this muddy bushland didnt look to inviting with no source of toilet paper :S. So i made the journy back to the neerby shops to relieve myself :kiss: On the way there, i figured i didnt want to bring my rods and my bag in, so i decided to hide them somewhere, bad mistake, i was feeling quite sick so in a hurry i started feeding my raider tip first into some long grass, and it HAPPEND :S Snap!. :angry: The tip snapped clean off, bah not happy, so i went and did my buisness and cameback and thankfully my rods were still there phewf.. feeling down about my rod, i thought to myself " I better catch something that makes up for braking my rod".. I decided to walk the oppisite way to where i walked last time in this creek, i thought i was going downstream but i was acctully going upstream.. The creek started getting narrower and narrower untill I hit a dead end! :( It was just a big puddle connecting to a storm water drain.. The VERY upper reaches of this tiny creek connecting to bells creek. I looked at the puddle wich only just connected to the rest of the creek as it was low tide thought to myself " I wonder if anything lives in here?" :P The answer was Yes, and i bet No1 here could gess what it is. I started flicking my strike pro pygmy in this puddle, that you would dream of pulling something out of, the water was very brown aswell and there was magroves all around. Started slow rolling it along and bang.. What the heck? a fish in this puddle? A sluggish little fight :P, and up comes a weird looking fish i didnt reconise, what the? sweet! i took a few pics and released the 27cm fella, Turns out i caught my first ever Sleepy Cod! lol, Strange how a freshwater fish lives in a tiny puddle of a connecting to a stormwater drain from the suburbs, to a tiny creek off the mouth of bells creek.. I wounder if there were any bass in this puddle :P. Feeling happy again I started venturing my way downstream of this cool little creek.. came to the jacky looking snags and had a few throws.. Not to long later i connected to a fish on the pygmy :) a bream of about 14cm :S but still a fish, funny thing is it had huge part of its little back tacken out.. a small bully? i reckon a big jack :P. Next cast im on again, a bream a tiny bit bigger, but as im lifting it up the bank it dropps off and flops back into the water, To my dissapointment this shut the school down :S. So i moved onwards more downstream, Came to a nice looking area, wich had a steep droppof on the mudbanks at my feet, the mudd/clay banks sorta thing had some nice caves and a good 2 foot dropp off straight down, so i though something would have to live there maybe a jack.. Foolishly i through my strike pro pygmy out with the now, 2lb mainline and 3lb leader on my Tierra 1500, and tip broken 2-4kg , 7'4 probly now (used to be 7' 6 :P) out paralel to the mudbank dropoff thing, i was slow rolling it past when i got hammerd, a good fight and up comes my equal pb Eastury Cod @ 32cm, A great challenge on 2lb mainline and 3lb leader.. i was very happy. Sadly Folks this was my last fish of the trip :(.

I Tried for another day and 2 nights in different locations up the coast including, maloola river, Kawana Canals, and the boardwalk at night, I managed to drop something nice at golden beach at night, i think it was a decant flattie, but it had me stumped as i saw a large silver flash before it got off a couple of meters from the bank, maybe it was just the underbelly of a flattie, it didnt fight well enough for a trev or queenie i thought. In the kawana canals i had a hookup from a large bream on a surecatch popper, My line then broke where the leader connects to the mainline, boy was i shatterd :( probly would of been my pb bream, and first on surface, and first fish all day but due to poor knot tying skills he was lost, ohwell thats fishin and i will learn from that and learn to do better knots ;) Ofcorse this shut the school down cos there was a bream swimming around with a popper hanging out of his gob, even casting into a boat or pontoon and making a noise makes them turn to wimps :P. I was gonna fish for most of today, but i woke up feeling very sick and it was also raining, so we headed home. A good trip, didnt get what i was after but hey i had fun and caught my first sleepy cod i guess :P. Yet another long report :P here come the pics.

Hahah dam i thought i might of had a rareish catch lol.. Is this a baby sleepy cod? i got it down at the jindalee boat ramp in my castnet, i have also got another one neer my house in the net. Hehe my bad for getting over excited..

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Picture_002_AFO-9adb570e0fd5cb0a6f9c404761e46f55.jpg

post-1500-144598442809_thumb.jpg

Nice work there tim i love finding a realy weird spot that looks like know one has fished before or even thought about fishing it and pulling a fish out lol looks like there might have been a jack in that snag feasting on the top of your breams head:P by the way i just snapped the tip off then on my shakespear rod wasnt that expensive though

Nice head wear by the way jason :huh:

A bit of good and bad luck aye?:unsure:

Those strike pro pygmies in that colour you have are pretty good cheaper alternatives to Sx40s. I've caught lots of bream on them plus a small queenfish and that 64cm flattie at Schultz. Also I think it was Cowfish who got a Bass on one. Only thing is once you land a few fish on them you'll need to tweak it as they start to swim sideways.

Are you going to get your rod tip repaired? You could pretty much chop it down and turn it into a Rack Raider:)

pinkey wrote:

Ok, im confused wich one is a sleepy cod? the one i caught at coloundra or the 1 jason caught at the jindalee boat ramp??

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2400_AFO.jpg

Groovy headwear champ.

help help help :).

Guys Sleepy Cod are a freshwater fish and not found locally. I dont know what those are :unsure:

Certainly look like a sleepy or some other sort of gudgeon.

If I am wrong about the freshwater thing please someone correct me but i am fairly certain.

Angus

yeah i found my pygmy is turning on its side pretty easy now, what excatly do i do to tune it? But apart from that i reckon there as good as sx40's.. and ive heard good things about the baby crank 40, it swims awsome, dives to 2m, and has owner hooks not bad for $7.50..

And Tim and Troy you cant talk you fish schultz from time to time.

ahh im confused, soo u reckon jason and my fish arnt sleepy cod? cmon fisher geeks spill your knowlage.

pinkey wrote:

yeah i found my pygmy is turning on its side pretty easy now, what excatly do i do to tune it? But apart from that i reckon there as good as sx40's.. and ive heard good things about the baby crank 40, it swims awsome, dives to 2m, and has owner hooks not bad for $7.50..

And Tim and Troy you cant talk you fish schultz from time to time.

ahh im confused, soo u reckon jason and my fish arnt sleepy cod? cmon fisher geeks spill your knowlage.

You just bend the eyelet back with pliers the opposite way to the direction the lure is swimming. Only need to adjust it about half a mm usually.

I tried out a Baby crank at Baroon that I bought. They're ok but the Chubby has a stronger action and casts way way further. I could cast a Chubby much further with my 20lb heavier outfit than I could cast a baby crank with 6lb gear. You were lucky to get it for $7.50 I paid about $12 for mine.

Archived