Help with Fresh water please!

chubbstar

I know I haven't shown much interest in fresh water. Most of my fishing back in Tassie was chasing Trout in Fresh.

But I'm starting to come around:blink: Someone told me that Bass fight hard, "I like the sound of that" and with me moving to Bracken Ridge I'll be closer to the dams.

Anyways if this info has been posted before I cant find it, So here are some questions for those that know.

1. Do I need a permit?

2. Can I use my 420 tinny with 2 stroke?

3. Will my 3-6kg uglystik and 6lb braid be ok to use?

4. Do Bass fight as hard as Trout?

Ray, Dino etc I would love to hit the water with you guys one day and pick your brains about the finer points of fishing fresh in Brisbane.:blink: I'll bring the beers;)

I would be keen to hear any thoughts on fresh from all members that have knowledge on the topic. :huh:

Thanks in advance

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

I know I haven't shown much interest in fresh water. Most of my fishing back in Tassie was chasing Trout in Fresh.

But I'm starting to come around:blink: Someone told me that Bass fight hard, "I like the sound of that" and with me moving to Bracken Ridge I'll be closer to the dams.

Anyways if this info has been posted before I cant find it, So here are some questions for those that know.

1. Do I need a permit? NPD - Not Yet

2. Can I use my 420 tinny with 2 stroke? No Boats yet, but will be electic only I think when th elevel returns. Limited permits will be issued

3. Will my 3-6kg uglystik and 6lb braid be ok to use?Yes

4. Do Bass fight as hard as Trout?Never caught a trout :P

Ray, Dino etc I would love to hit the water with you guys one day and pick your brains about the finer points of fishing fresh in Brisbane.:blink: I'll bring the beers;)

I would be keen to hear any thoughts on fresh from all members that have knowledge on the topic. :huh:

Thanks in advance

Jayson

Answers in bold.

I think NPD will thrill you a bit more than your recent Bulimba Creek adventure:P

:laugh: :laugh:

in reply

SIP Permits are needed in most dams exceptions include

Awoonga

Baroon pocket

Ewen madock

Currently North pine but not for long???

you certainly can use your tiny but only in the dams where outboards are permited, theres plenty that onlt permit electrics and some that only permit paddle

Electric only

Wivenhoe

Baroon Pocket

Lake mcdonald

hinze

Paddle only

Ewen madock

The only dam close that you can use the outboard in is somerset, a great dam with loads of big bass,yellas,silvers and mary river cod.

beat bet is to head out and get yourself a copy of

Freshwater fishing in queensland - a guide to stocked waters.

its a great book with all the info you could ever need

Lee

chubbstar wrote:

:) Thanks Lee, Mate whats "SIP" permit mean?

How much are they and are they like a season licence or a couple of days fishing?

Is it 1 permit to 1 dam or will it cover all of them?

And Elli Bulimba Creek? more like Bulimba River, Tide was up again today with all the rain:P ;)

Jayson

SIP - Stocked Impoundment Permit

it covers all the dams, and costs about $35 for the year

Lee

Chubstar, there are a few dams you can use your motor on, a few more that you can leave the motor on, but not use it, (Wivanhoe and Lake Mac Donald being the close ones), and just use electric, and of course electric only where you have to take your petrol motor off the boat.

Do you have a beacon to beacon? if you do look in the back, it has all the fishable lakes for south east Queensland in it.

It describes access (IE motor types, times, permits required), whther there are ramps, picnic facilities and most important of all what type of fish are stocked in the dam!

3-6 kilo rod is fine, I generally use anything up to that for bass. That size and heavier through to "broomstick" for the dams with Barra in them.

Live shrimp is best bait on any dam, and the only bait I will bother with, although I tend these days to lure fish only.

We are off to Lenthalls dam in about 10 days for an extended trip (9 days), dont think we have a trip planned after that, but we will try and put something together where you can deckie for one of us if you like?

Everybody has you on the right track, as a break into freshwater fishing and for a place to take the kids fishing I recomend baroon pocket. Take a drive up there for a look first, take all the family,have a look from the maleny side then go around to the montville side for a look and have a picnic while there. If you are a bit worried on your 1st trip give us a yell

Dino

Baroon pocket is a good place to start off. Most places will be a bit hard for the next few days after all the rain.Reckon hinze will be full of debris for a while yet.I wont be going fishing untill after the Lenthalls trip but why not think of joining us up there for a couple of days? fourstroke and etecs up to 60 hp allowed and 2 stroke up to 6hp if you have 2 stroke over 6hp it has to be removed from boat.

Cheers

Ray

Kriso, when the Dam hits 50% the PRFMA will call for expressions of interest.

To get on you have to agree to quite a stringent set of rules and sign off on them.

If they get over 300 applications it will go to a ballot process, if under 300 you'll be in. When you get in you get a sticker for the boat, and a key to the gate for the boat ramp. The sticker must be on the boat.

As noted earlier the whole process is expected to take up to 3 months once the dam hits 50%.

Archived