ultralight spinning gear wanted

kevinchen19870316

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan23 wrote:

fishyman wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
I don't think you could deal with any of the shimano reels though kev. They are great but all have backplay and it would probably drive you nuts.
'

the old models did, but now with the wind in handles there is no backplay whatsoever

That's good news:)

Indeed! you wind them in nice and snug and its awesome, im considering buying the new twinpower C2000S from japan for my next reel to match to my new rod :)

fishyman wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
fishyman wrote:
Dan23 wrote:
I don't think you could deal with any of the shimano reels though kev. They are great but all have backplay and it would probably drive you nuts.
'

the old models did, but now with the wind in handles there is no backplay whatsoever

That's good news:)

Indeed! you wind them in nice and snug and its awesome, im considering buying the new twinpower C2000S from japan for my next reel to match to my new rod :)

That'd be a very nice reel.

I'm buying a Tierra 3000 in the next few weeks to go with my advantage. It's for heavier fishing so I figured it will do the trick and I don't need anything more high end. In may I'm looking at getting a really nice BC outfit. Something to make Kev jealous;) i don't have any need for it though I just want a setup that I can cast 12lb flurocarbon with for bass fishing.

chubbstar wrote:

:blink: Hey Jake tell me more about the Daiwa Regals, I have a very old 1 thats been fantastic, It's a "Long Cast" 2500b with 1 ball bearing:laugh: Like I said it's been a great little reel. I wouldn't mind buying a newer version.:woohoo:

Jayson

Dont worry about it Jake, I've just goggled it. I'm going to up grade to The regal XIA. My Birthday soon and thats my present;)

Jayson

i didn't even have time to reply all so sorry guys.

some very very valuable advice here but now i have partially made up my mind. i know i will finally get something like Megabass+certate hyper stuff so i won't spend my $ on anything less attractive for me. i will save up and probably sell my BC rod to fund a nice UL combo.

thanks again for the input guys, ur the champian(spell?)

Yeah, I would keep it as well:cheer:

I'd just spend around $200-300 on a half decent spinning rod and then you'd have two combo's for different situations.

But hey, if you happy doing that, then go for it.

I guess the Certate HC will have strong enough drag for species like Barra and Jacks so with a spare spool filled with heavier line, it'll be two reels in one

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

i didn't even have time to reply all so sorry guys.

some very very valuable advice here but now i have partially made up my mind. i know i will finally get something like Megabass+certate hyper stuff so i won't spend my $ on anything less attractive for me. i will save up and probably sell my BC rod to fund a nice UL combo.

Mate it's worth spending $200 on a combo now, when you get more money together and buy a better combo, it's always handy having two rods. Often I'll soak bait ( or deadstick a plastic ) with one rod, and play with lures with the other. It seems to work quite well. Also means you can run different profiles on them ( 2 or 4lbs on one, 8 or 10lbs on the other ) and switch between quite easily.

who are you, and what have you done with Kev?:blink:

I don't spend quite as much on my gear as some, my light rod of choice atm is a Shimano starlo stik 6"6' 2-4kg xtreme spin. $85.00, 2 piece (easy transport) 3-12grm cast weight, great fun on bass and bream with both bait and lure.

Match it with a nice smooth little spin reel and some 4lb crystal :) , but it all comes down to budget...you get what you pay for, especially in the "reel" world.

I have a 2000 size silstar HF20 on it currently that balances well, but does look and perform like the $40 reel that it is.

For $150.00 - $200.00 you will be able to get a good quality combo that will last for years and has multiple fishing applications, pretty good value I reckon.

chubbstar wrote:

Sell your BC rod:blink: Are you OK Kev:huh:

What happend up at BLI BLI?:ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Keep ya BC for Jacks and Cod Kev.:woohoo:

Jayson

Don't discourage him Chubbs you don't know who he's selling his Loomis to;)

sorry for a late reply,

ebay US has stradics for about $116 US + $30 US postage which come to about $155 - 160 AU thats still much cheaper than here.

Daiwa Team Advantage are about $150.00 delivered to Australia. here they are about $100 more.

The combo I use and have caught bass over 50 cm on quite comfortably is the tackle warehouse combo I think it cost $90 for the Catana rod and Sienna reel, loaded with 4lb fireline it has copped a flogging and is still going strong, I reckon they are great value for the money

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

fishyman wrote:
>http://www.ausbream.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5116

there ya go kev,

Daiwa Certate Finesse custom

now this is a very very valuable input, thanks heaps for the information. i'll see if i can get something done

no probs mate, just if you get it let me have a cast or two :P hahaha

fair enough, when we next go fishign together grab my reel although its no where near the twinpower it has got the new handle ad you can have a feel.

id say they will be available here in a few months if you can wait that long.

glad i could be of assistance kev, heres hoping that certate is still available

haha, thanks for the help fishyman.

for the handle backplay, 90% of the anglers say their shimano don't have handle backplay. it's not because their shimano reels r any different, but it's just they cannot tell or they r unwilling to say. i have an axis which is pretty much the same as a calcutta B and it's not handle backplay. the 4 reels i mentioned above r around 3-4 times the price of calcutta B. just hold the spool and crank ur hanle back and forth, a normal ppl will notice a small back play on the handle. the backplay's not a big problem for cheap reels like calcutta (non TE) and basic chronard, metanium cuz the whole system have very large tolerance. but for near-perfect reels like calais 100a, calais 200dc and calcutta TE dc, the backplay's really a let-down

no offend, i was only telling the truth.

Archived