ultralight spinning gear wanted

kevinchen19870316

:blush: i am convinced so now i am in search of an ultralight spinning combo. Being still undecided if i will get an extremely high end combo or just settle down with budget stuff, i am interested in all sorts of offerings. any ultralight rods and 1000-2000 size spinning reels will be considered. prefer cheap stuff at the moment if they r used as my megabass baitcasting rod's now in the schedule:laugh:

custom building offerings welcomed as well:P

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

:blush: i am convinced so now i am in search of an ultralight spinning combo. Being still undecided if i will get an extremely high end combo or just settle down with budget stuff, i am interested in all sorts of offerings. any ultralight rods and 1000-2000 size spinning reels will be considered. prefer cheap stuff at the moment if they r used as my megabass baitcasting rod's now in the schedule:laugh:

custom building offerings welcomed as well:P

finally !!! haha kev .. get olympic rods .. cost around 200 at most.

Get a 1500 Sedona with one of the $80-$100 rod range ( sicstik, starlo stix, etc ). Will give you a pretty good system to start with. My big barra on the weekend was caught on my 2500 Sedona and sicstick, combo cost me about $160, plus I got a free cheapo shimano graphite rod with the reel.

Or you could get a $25 pink combo ? :D

I think Stradic 1000 $200.00 and pflueger trion $119.00 or if you can a Loomis Dropshot.

with the aussie dollar being so strong, you can pick up a stradic delivered from US for $150 AU

or Team Daiwa Advantage 2000 for $150 AU delivered.

atolo4: where can you get those cheap reels?

Kevin: I'd go for something like a Shimano Stradic (2500) or Daiwa Tierra (2000) then I'd match it with a Shimano Raider, Berkley Dropshot or a Pfluegar Trion rod. Then some 6lb braid or gsp and you'll be sweet.

It shouldn't cost too much (comparatively) and will be great for Bream. And with the bigger reel, you'll be able to land bigger fish like Cod and Trevally as well:cheer:

mate you what a budget reel that works.. Sienna 1000,, good enough for a 74 cm barra at the barra park ;).. give drag the a service straight away.. they are a great cheap reel... will hold any bream on lite line.. $50 reel

Well thats my 2c

Noel

Kevin,

The live fibre light Wilson Rod I won, at the AFO Lure / Bait Hinze comp last year, is a bewdy! I use a little 50 series reel on it quite happily. You dont want to catch to many fish on such light gear though, I got "tennis elbow" from it when we caught 140 bass in 3 days at Lenthalls last winter, elbow still gives me trouble!

I think a Tierra 1000 and a berkley Dropshot 1-3kg and 2-4lb braid is a great setup that will cast unweighted plastics a mile. You won't be disappointed when the big fish aren't biting and you can play with medium and smaller fish that still provide good sport.

Oh, and for anyone wondering why Kev is wanting an ultralite setup... It's cause I always outfish him when using lite spinning gear lol:laugh:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

thanks so much for the input guys. it seems i have a very very wide range of choices.

faulked, i kept laughing when i saw that pic, it's just awesome. do u mind if i use that as my screen saver? that won't save my screen but it will save me heaps of $$.

i will probably get a sedonna and a ULTRALIGHT something rod.

Hopefully we can visit my parent's place in the next few weeks and I'll get Dad to lend you his 2lb dropshot-sedona rig. Really is great to use and even 25cm bream feel massive. Plus you can catch fish on it all day long because it is so finesse.

Dan23 wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
thanks so much for the input guys. it seems i have a very very wide range of choices.

faulked, i kept laughing when i saw that pic, it's just awesome. do u mind if i use that as my screen saver? that won't save my screen but it will save me heaps of $$.

Hopefully we can visit my parent's place in the next few weeks and I'll get Dad to lend you his 2lb dropshot-sedona rig. Really is great to use and even 25cm bream feel massive. Plus you can catch fish on it all day long because it is so finesse.

know what u mean mate.... go lite it's great... sad i know but i ten to throw my 2-6 lb at jacks... yep yep mad i know ..... but fun :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Kev, I doubt that you will, but I couldn't be happier with my Lite rod. It's a UglyStik "Graph Lite" 2-5kg 7'0". It's pulled in a nice 40cm Jack, 45cm Snapper, some big Catties and good Bream. Only cost me around $100. Money well spent.

Good luck with the many, many choices:blink:

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

Kev, I doubt that you will, but I couldn't be happier with my Lite rod. It's a UglyStik "Graph Lite" 2-5kg 7'0". It's pulled in a nice 40cm Jack, 45cm Snapper, some big Catties and good Bream. Only cost me around $100. Money well spent.

Good luck with the many, many choices:blink:

Jayson

Ha ha, I don't think you'll ever convince him to buy something with a glass tip

i am suprised he is buying something thats not megabass or limited edition or some sort of special 26 ball bearing thing :P HAHA just kidding lol.

you be able to cast unweighted plastics now kev

for the recod:

My 2-4lb (1-2kg) rod (Slater Stick) matched with my stradic 1000 makes small bream feel big and makes big bream the best fight youve had in ages ;)

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

dont get a sedona with all the other reels around the same $$ on the market, pflueger trion is great at $79 as well as daiwa regal with 10 ball bearings etc etc... i find that for quality the pflueger easily outdoes the sedona and daiwa regal is right up there with the pflueger

fishyman wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
I don't think you could deal with any of the shimano reels though kev. They are great but all have backplay and it would probably drive you nuts.
'

the old models did, but now with the wind in handles there is no backplay whatsoever

That's good news:)

Archived