hey all need some help with a rod

dunney

hey guys i snapped my 2nd starlo stix today and now im just sick of that rod so im not going to buy another one.

im looking at somehting in the 4-7kg range..must be single piece..will be teamed up with either a new daiwa advantage 3000-4000 or a luvias...just deciding on what the budget and allow.mostly used for larger snapps,tuna end macks etc..

what would you guys recommend?i like those daiwa rods that are silver..i think that are called daiwa saltwater?

anyways budget on the rod is about $200...if i cant find anythin soong i might buy a GL2 or something similar

If you're talking the Advantage $199 at Tackle warehouse, same on Motackle plus shipping.

TD DA 701MFS 7foot 8-14lb should be perfect. My Advantage is a step heavier but too heavy for snapper plastic fishing IMO. I got it for a different purpose.

mate after making my first 2-3kg bream rod with fishyman they are difinately the way to go. erveything that u want u can have pretty much. and all the decisions are up to u, with some reseach and talkin to fishyman you shouldnt have to much of a problem with making one or im sure sure if u talk to fishyman he could give u a good price on it.

there are many heavier styles of rod that will siut ur type of fishing and put together with the right parts you have a personalize rod that u will love for ever.

hope this helps

hey mate i am also looking at a new set up but im already pretty sure in what im going to get something like the 4000size daiwa exceller ive already got the 1500 and love it along with a 6-10kg flueger criterion :) and ive already bought some 20lb platypus super braid 300yrd which i got for 40$ off ebay what a bargan

I'm not real fussy on rods, probably go towards medium price ones, the amount I break I cant afford top of the line ones.! (And no the quality of Rod makes no difference when its 10 year olds wacking trees and trailer and boats and mangroves running over or crushing them!)

I will however advise the following.

1. I am currently sus on 2 piece rods, after getting a big hit on the weekend, and having the join on the rod give way (after 5 hours of casting, the join had slipped lose, when I got hit, there must have been only about 10mm of the top in the join, it broke it out and stuffed the rod) Yeah my fault, but just another thing to worry about I can do without.

2. The size of the runners is my most important concern, it has to be able to take a knot easily for a leader, and let the loop knot at the end through the tip runner. Some of these new high priced rods have runners that small it is criminal!

3. I love 2 to 5 kilo rods, but they are like hens teeth these days!

Feral wrote:

2. The size of the runners is my most important concern, it has to be able to take a knot easily for a leader, and let the loop knot at the end through the tip runner. Some of these new high priced rods have runners that small it is criminal!

Exactly why I'm thinking about selling my raider. Talked to a guy at the Tweed tackle shop and he said they get heaps back because of that problem. Wouldn't be a problem if the rod was a 4-6lb but a 3-5kg rod should allow a 10lb leader knot to go though it smoothly.

I would sugest a SicStik Pro. I have recently replaced a Starlo stick with one (7' 2-4kg) and have found a lot better mostly because instead of holding onto the grips threaded section you are gripping the cork. They also do a 4kg model in 7' and 6'6. At $130-$150 they are definately worth a look.

Archived