Research Project NPD.

rayke1938

As a member of the PRFMA I was invited to participate in a tag and release project organised by David Roberts, Senior Research Fellow at Griffith Uni.

This was a catch and release tagging exercise following on from the first tagging event back in 2006.

The project aims to gather information on the growth rate and stocking success of fish in North Pine Dam, particularly bass as the dominant fish stocked.

Many thanks to the South East Queensland Water Corporation for supporting this research project and allowing this once off only access to otherwise restricted areas of the lake for the purposes of this research project, and thanks to the Lake Samsonvale Water Sports Association for allowing us to launch our electric powered vessels from their sailing club lease.

We were mainly targeting bass but recording all species caught. Tilapia were to be retained for disposal on shore.

We were required to measure overall and fork length and if possible the weight of each fish caught.

The location of the catch was also recorded.

The fish were then tagged and released.

We were also on the lookout for any previously tagged fish from back in 2006.

I attended with Graham Pflaum as a crew member. Feral also attended accompanied by his son Alex and ken Ferguson ( Ferg).Dino attended on Sunday.

Saturday the conditions whilst breezy wasnt too bad.

We trolled hard bodies and prospected new areas trying to locate schools of fish as the object was to capture and tag as many as possible.

Every school that we located was exposed to the wind and my anchor wouldnt hold.

We ended going into the old PRFMA boating area trying to escape the wind without success.

Knocked off at 11.30 and headed back to the ramp as Grahams back wont allow him to fish all day.

We ended up with 11 fish with biggest being just under 40cm.

Heard reports of some anglers running out of tags. ( Were issued 100 )

Sunday we headed back to the PRFMA with heavier anchor but the wind was much stronger so we had to troll again.

About 10.30 there was around a 3ft chop and as we started to take a few over the bow I said thats enough and we slowly made out way back to the ramp.

Ended up with 9 fish the best just over 40cm.

The fish were in much poorer condition to what I am used to catching at NPD and can only assume it is due to the drought and lack of feed.

Most fish caught on RMG poltergeist 50xdd in colours R7 green flouro and R24 deep purple.

We both really enjoyed taking part it was a shame that the weather was crook on Sunday and look forward to hearing about the results of the project and providing any assistance with future research on the stocked fish in Lake Samsonvale.

Thanks again to David for the invite and for providing additional information.

Cheers

Ray

The dead tree in this shot is normally 20 feet under water and is one of our hot spots for bait

fishing.

P1010863AFO-6.jpg

The vertical tree was left when the area was cleared as it has signifiance to the local elders. I have been told that it was a climbing tree and still has the axe marks in the trunk. The water is normally half way up it.

P1010864AFO-3.jpg

This is the ramp area at midday on sunday.

P1010867AFO-1.jpg

I was to sick to fish Sat but managed to drag myself out on Sun. I caught and tagged 7 fish and as Ray said the conditions were terrable. By the time you unhooked your fish, measured it f/l and dpi then tagged it, then recorded it, you were now 200mts from were you started. I tried twice to stand up and cast but it was to hard for old blokes ha ha, seen one young bloke casting from a canoe with no outriggers, I don't know how.

Did not realise Ray had started the thread! Here is my spin on the weekend.

There were 20 boats selected to take part, we fished two days 8am to 5pm. Electric only.

Currently we are not allowed to fish the dam by boat because of the low water levels. But for the annual survey we get to fish all the dam except next to public access areas,(So they dont have to explain to all the people who ring up complaining there are boats on the dam). We launched from the sailing club ramp (ours is high and dry).

It was pretty crook conditions, blowing 20 to 25 knots, with squalls coming through occasionally. In the squalls both electrics on full heading into the wind, and we were barely keeping steerage. Those in smaller boats either dropped a big anchor or got a good look at the weed banks and shore line on the down wind side of the dam!

We had average results for the two days, boating 36 bass, (smallest just legal, biggest 53cm) 1 fork tail catfish and 1 Gar. I think the best for the 2 days was Fitzy, it was rumored he got 146 by perching on the bubbler and using slugs. Will probably know everyones score after the next stocking association meeting where they are going to report on the results of the weekend.

All fish were measured, tagged and released. Those of us who had never tagged before were given instructions and had a practice on a couple of dead fish until we got it right.

All boats had signs to display.

P1100637.jpg

Alex with his snub nosed gar caught on a shrimp

P1100632.jpg

Ken casting to the submerged grass

P1100627.jpg

Ken with an average sized Bass

P1100619.jpg

Me with one of the smaller ones

P1100616.jpg

The dam

P1100610.jpg

Ken with the biggest for the weekend, 53cm (see the tag)

P1100605.jpg

Me with another average sized one

P1100602.jpg

Alex with his biggest, a 43cm (see the tag)

P1100596-1.jpg

As I said it was a bit rough, this is the view of the dam from the parking area at the ramp. Thats 30 foot deep where those white caps are.

northpinefromsailingclub.jpg

Terry until the water level reaches at least 45% it is noe safe to launch even a yak from the PRFMA leasehold area. When the water level reaches 50% everyone will be able to apply for a permit as long as you do not have a internal combustion engine. As a side issue I see that David Roberts has now become a member.

Cheers

Ray

Archived