Question from a baitcaster newbie....

webbfunk

It controls the amount of magnetic braking on the spool in this case. 10 is the most, "free" the least:)

A good way to stop the birds nests is try using heavier lures to begin with. Then wind the lure to nearly to the top of the rod tip and tighten the mechanical braking on the handle side (a little knob under the handle) until the lure just stops moving. This makes it alot easier to cast

usually u can start with 6-8 depending on different reels. (begin with 6 with a regular megaforve brake and 10 with a type R tuned megaforce V. lol)

then with different lure weight, lure profile and the way lure fly, u can go from probably 1 to 6 the maximum when ur used to ur reel.

to have some feel of the brake force, u can try to throw a 20grms slug and try from 10 to 4 and u'll see how the brake slows down the lure speed

I have found that if you are getting overuns mid cast then dial the magnetic control up. Set up the casting 'drag' on the handle side as described earlier.

I have found that with the Echelons on a 6'6 SicStik a smoother 'throwing' action in your cast is a lot better then the usual spin rod flick.

have a read off this website, I found the step by step instructions were great. I just practiced in my back yard and by following the instructions i was able to avoid getting bird's nests altogether, the casts weren't too far but at least I didn't get any overspools

/>http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Interestingly enough, when I first started using my baitcasters I found using mono easier than the braid, but now that I am sort of proficient with them, I have since noticed that the braid is much more forgiving after casting for 8 hours, the mono is ever ready to "spring" into a birds nest if your tired thumb is at all late on the spool! But the braid wont unless there is a lot of momentum left in the spool.

• 1 month later...

Maybe a silly question............but when casting and in mid cast do you let your thumb totally off the spool, and put it back on just before the lure hits the water or keep it just on the the spool and feel the line coming off?

All I'll say is there's a big difference between a cheap BC and a cheap Spinning reel. Cheapo spinning gear will still do the job, at least for a while. A cheap BC won't be very fun to use if you're a beginner unless you're casting a fair bit of weight.

I usually have my thumb close enough to the spool to feel overuns that occur mid cast. Then you can tighten up the tension to compensate for them before you get a big one that stops the line and causes a massive headache.

Archived