Brissy river 29/3

Bommie

Since I had an appointment at Fernvale at 7am this morning I thought I may as well have a bit of a fish, my 8yr old son has been wanting to get his first bass on lure in his kayak and dad came along(he’s hooked catching bass on lures from the river)

Signed some papers then we hit the water started fishing about 8am.

Worked our way down the river casting spinnerbaits at the usual snags getting plenty of hits, I had 1/2oz purple ausspin on. My son went just inside a small creek on his third cast just as he was about to lift the spinnerbait out of the water his line takes of and he gives a cry of “I hope its bassâ€Â. After a short fight and keeping it out of the submerged tree he landed his first bass, one happy boy.

Dad threw a cast in the same spot and was onto another little one. Byron 1 Dad 1 me 0. A few more cast later and dad was on again. I had been working deeper water out the front lots of hits but still no hookup, so I move into the creek and change the spinnerbait colour to rainbowfish and smaller hook size + stinger still no hookups. Dad went and managed another one a bit bigger.

Byron 1, Dad 3, me 0.

Started back upstream casting to snags along the way as we made our way back to the car I was sure I was going home with nothing when I got to my trusty snag. First cast and bang, short run then gone, next cast tap tap tap all the way in, third cast tap tap bang zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I’m on then snagged. Hands shaking I give it some slack then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz off we go again. I managed to steer it out of the sunken timber for a short while then snagged again. Thinking this time it was well and truly stuck I go to put the rod down to paddle forward then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the fish takes off again straight for the middle of the river. After about a five minute fight keeping it from going back for cover I finally land the bass, 51.5cm fork. Couple of pics then released.

My only fish for the day but it was worth it. On the way back dad got one more, my son was wrapped with his first bass,

Thanks for reading,

Matt.

sons first bass [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2512_AFO.jpg

post-2146-144598450058_thumb.jpg

Archived