Advice on Murray cod hunting!

Feral

Ok, nominally I am taking the boys to the Gundy carp cull over the Anzac day weekend.

In reality while they are trying to catch Carp, I'll be looking for cod. It starts 5pm Friday afternoon and goes until lunch Sunday, so plenty of variation in time of day etc available.

So I would like some advice from anyone who has fished the Gundy weir, or similar water, on lure types, depths to expect (I figure my UD 80mm boomerangs will have limited use?), time of day etc.

Note - I will be casting not trolling.

Ta.

hi feral , mate i havent fished there but "mates" of mine have and when waters suit like most things there preferred methed of luring r spinner baits casting from shore boat etc . colour wait for it purple :laugh: .iwill ask a few friends and c what else i can find out cheers will

i agree with u cowfish the bigger the spinnerbait the bigger the cod the more noise it makes the better it is.u should have seen what this old fellow pulled out of his tackle box for cod ,with out lie this spinner blade could have been used on a chopper it was BIG .he had fotos to show for it

Spinners are good for varying water depths and do appeal to western natives, even in silty water. When Tony and I fished Oakey Ck we only took a handful of spinners each. Cod and goldens don't care what type of blade is fitted, they'll smack the same ones you'd use for bass. (Though yes the huge cod do like big lures).

For plugs I carry some medium depth 80mm Boomerangs and, a secret weapon on stream dwelling cod, Sandvipers.

Bright colours tend to work well with yellow and flouro green being popular choices. I like fluoro red too and of course purple.

Archived