Spot X produces again!!!

namyau

Started off the night at newstead area i arrived first and just as jeryl got there i was already on to a nice bream of 22.5cm on my first cast. During our time there i landed about 6-7 other bream on bits of prawn meat and all ranging from 22cm-27cm. I didnt get any luck on sp or hb but jeryl managed a small grunter on a 2inch shrimp, he also managed to get a few bream on prawn meat.

With things slowing down a bit we decided to try somewhere else and drove around the corner to the park where the gazebo/memorial place is. Walking the rock wall i managed to get a nice bream about 24cm, the bream didn't even put up a fight and i didnt realise i was on until i felt some weight. Jerly kept getting some small hits and also a few decent hits as well. Slowly we made our way to the jetty we stumbled upon a school of bream, i managed to get a few nice hits but dropped them all, while jerly got about 3 or 4 of them.

With all the talk about threaddies on the forum lately we decided to go to our spot X and see if we could manage to land one. On the way out saw Kev and all the other guys that were with him. Got to spot x around 1am ish and the current was pretty strong, jerly started off with a 3inch prong (dont know the colour) while i started off with a 2 inch shrimp in motling. Jigging the area for a while and still nothing, jeryl decided to try a rapala countdown. He was playing with it on the surface and next thing i know is water splashing everywhere.

Jeryl said it was a threaddie as it followed the lure right to the surface, unfoftunetly the threaddie threw the hooks, I then changed to a 2inch shrimp in new penny and was jigging and keeping and eye out for any surface disturbances. Finally i managed a hook up but as soon as i felt it the fish spat the hooks again, this happened about another 2 times for me.

I then had walked futher down a lil bit and casting the lure out and jigging it back, suddenly felt some weight and bam i knew i was on, my reel was screaming constantly and my rod nearly bent into a c shape, there was noting i could do but let it take the line. I eventually had to cup the spool as I was using a shallow spool i was nearly out of line, slowly i managed to gain all the line back. After abot 10mins with my arms aching i had the fish closer to the surface.

Finally it showed colour and jerly started to scream "its a JEWIE". When he got it on the ground for me we measured it to be about 73cm and guestimated it to be about the 4kg mark. When i got home i remeasured it and it came up at 73cm and 3.2kg. After about 10 mins jerly was on again at the same place i was on, strange thing was this was a massive fish but it didnt really move.

Jerly was fighting to bring it up and after about 10mins or so the fish swam under some structure and jerly was bricked, one small tug and his leader had snapped. Everything went quiet now and we kept walking all over the place randomly casting and jigging to see if there were any more jewies or threddies around. Suddenly i felt some weight on my line again, i striked twice just to make sure and all of a sudden i see the typical shape of a threaddie.

Im guessing the threaddie would have been about the 80cm mark. Feeling sorry for jeryl's previous loss i handed my rod to him so he could play with the threaddie. Suddenly the threaddie ran down and under some structure again and he was bricked again. After about 15mins with no more luck we decided to call it a night.

gear that was used:

me: 7ft6 bream finesse, daiwa revros 2004, 4lb fireline, 10lb vanish leader, 1/20 size 4 TT head hunter and 2 inch shrimp

Jerly: 7ft tcurve, daiwa luvias 2004, 3lb crystal, 10lb vanish leader, 1/20 size 2 TT headhunter, 2inch and 3inch new penny shrimp

haa hey Dan yea i saw you was doing the knots or something so didnt wanna bother u haaa but u guys also have an awesome session hey.

i'm still really frustrated about being busted off not once but twice it never happened on me before...i was using 3LB braid i think i have to go a bit heavier later.

Dan23 wrote:

crazy guys we should have followed you and found out your spot. :woohoo: I didn't recognise you last night Jeryl or I would have said gday.

yeah, I think I'm going to fish really heavy there next time and try for some trophy fish. Bream are really just by catch there when Jewies and threadies are on the cards!B)

What sort of jig heads did you guys use? I was using 1/40 for breamin but along the boardwalk the water is shallow as. Do you need heavier further along?

cool yea i think i'll pay more effort to fish the river in the next few weeks those big boys are just awesome to play with lol

i usually start my day (well or night) with 1/20 to check the depth and current, if the bites get slow i'll switch to 1/24 or 1/28 and go on till i get constant hit

Dan23 wrote:

yeah, I think I'm going to fish really heavy there next time and try for some trophy fish. Bream are really just by catch there when Jewies and threadies are on the cards!B)

What sort of jig heads did you guys use? I was using 1/40 for breamin but along the boardwalk the water is shallow as. Do you need heavier further along?

Man, my attitude towards land based lure fishing in the brissie river has completely turned around in the last week. I'm really looking forward to the BRC now. How good is the big fish potential there!

Thanks mainly to Angolee who has opened up all our eyes to what we have so close to home. :)

Plus now I have something to do on weeknights:lol:

Dan23 wrote:

Man, my attitude towards land based lure fishing in the brissie river has completely turned around in the last week. I'm really looking forward to the BRC now. How good is the big fish potential there!

Thanks mainly to Angolee who has opened up all our eyes to what we have so close to home. :)

that's exactly what happened to me last week. thanks angolee ha ha

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

Dan23 wrote:

that's exactly what happened to me last week. thanks angolee ha ha

No pro guys.. still got lots to share with u guys if i have the time.. bloody exaMs !!!:(

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

ha ha, i just finished revision of the exam on monday. a mate of mine will come and pick me up this wednesday after work for a night session. let me know if u wanna come. we'll pick u up at 9:30

yeah thanks.. wed shld be sweet and i thought u have an exams on sat?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pinkey wrote:

Do you just cast straight out into the depths when you jig for threadys and that jewy?

I was just casting randomly cant really tell where the fish is cos its so open and the depth ranges from about 2mtr at low and maybe up to 4mtr at high. I just use normal sp techniques, or i cast out and jig up let the slack line sink back down give it a few winds and repeat.

dan23 wrote:

yeah, I think I'm going to fish really heavy there next time and try for some trophy fish. Bream are really just by catch there when Jewies and threadies are on the cards!

What sort of jig heads did you guys use? I was using 1/40 for breamin but along the boardwalk the water is shallow as. Do you need heavier further along??

personally i believe if you trust the gear you use it will be fine but yeah i wouldnt go any heavier then 6lb main and 15lb leader. as for jigheads i use pretty much what jeryl uses, sometimes ill even go down to 1/70 hw jig but thats only if i can see them.

AngGoLee wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
yeah, i do so i'll do revision on thursday and friday nights. no fishing.

but wednesday night......thready and jewie r waiting! my mate's a castnet master man!

SWEET ..... live baits !

Who's your mate? Are you talkin about me again Kev:lol:

adri4n wrote:

wow a jew land based... newstead park is great fishing... I was beginning to think it was getting disappointing but it looks like there are just spots I haven't found yet...

the jew wasnt caught at newstead park, it was caught at my spot x. but still newstead park had quite a few decent fish there

amazing, and on lures too..

And you snagged quite a few big runs that night as well, sounds like a good trip out mate.

can anyone fill me in on what jigging is?

any forum links or an explanation, I mean how often does jigging produce compared to sp or hb?

Im just curious as to how the tecnique works and might have a go at it when a get a nice SP rod and reel combo.

thanks

flatty_catcher wrote:

amazing, and on lures too..

And you snagged quite a few big runs that night as well, sounds like a good trip out mate.

can anyone fill me in on what jigging is?

any forum links or an explanation, I mean how often does jigging produce compared to sp or hb?

Im just curious as to how the tecnique works and might have a go at it when a get a nice SP rod and reel combo.

thanks

my technique is just a simple cast let the lure sink and the whip the rod tip up let the slack line back down and crank the handle 1 or 2 revolutions and repeat the process

Archived