had a fish out back of Indooroopilly this mornin.

flatty_catcher

As the title says I thought I would give it a run.

caught a threadfinn salmon about 60cm from head to tail, and a silver brim pushing 30cm on prawns.

On the outgoing tide...:huh:

I kept them for dinner :P

I could have stayed longer as they were not off the bite by any means but I had ran out of bait and was happy to catch somthing.

Got pulled into snaggs a few times too, it was quite a spectacular morning.

If I had a boat, I would say there is some prime area there for spinning lures around the edges.

Ill post a few pics later...

sorry Im having troubles posting an imahe here anyone know how to do it???

anyway ill post it in Brisbane rivers section for photo's.

kriso wrote:

will have to look into it im not sure of the area your talkin about.

Meiers rd..there is a huge golf course the end of it that swings around behind the river..

you go past it and follow meiers rd right to the end,

but really i would say anywhere along the river should prouduce somthing at the right time with the right bait..

I have been reading a few posts in here and apparently the threadfin are on the bite at lots of places.

I didnt really expect to catch a thing, especially since I have never fished Brisbane river only once or twice before.

and yes the Brim is a little on the small side, but at the time it looked bigger..:S (but at least its legal)

had another crack at it this mornin, different spot, back further, off the walkin track behind CSIRO.

main thing is I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on landin a big fish...

I got snapped off plenty of times, decent size sharks I reckon

by the weight, somthing I hooked was huge, it just threw me all over the place then snagged under a log or somthing.

Anyway, highlight of the morning was some very quick sharp bites on the rod then whack i was on, it kept coming to the surface and I was guessing it was a threadie..

Anyway after landing the 60cm threadie last week I would say this one was a lot lot bigger, just the weight and the strain it was putting on my rod and reel hinted he was at least 80cm.

I got him about 3 meters from shore then he rose again, and did a big swirl and flipped over, just long enough for me to see the telltale golden fins and belly of a thready wave goodbye and return back to the river..

bugger,, oh well

anyway Im using 18lb line and im getting snapped, how do some people land these big fish on 4kg line?

jeff f wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Patience and a looser drag;)

yep you gotta play them not skull drag them in

18 pound line should have no probs on threadies

ps the csiro is along way from indropilly its past oxley creek at rocklea:P

might be a different one, theres one on meiers rd, anyway without I fish mostly that side and the opposie side (yerongpilly), I mean sine i live at greenslopes that stretch has prouduced enough to keep me coming back so far and its good fun.

But yeah I think the big threadie this morning spat the hook, he had some weight in him though, was a nice size fish but he did a few turns/rolls and managed to get off,,lol

flatty_catcher wrote:

I was using 4.0 bait holders, I now have some 4.0 mustad bait holders and some 5.0 mustad suicides.

I go through about 3 or 4 hooks a session. I get a lot of snaggs and bite offs ( mostly snaggs though, some bloody fish pulls me into the snaggs quite a bit, must ne bloody eel or crab?).

Have you tried circle hooks ? Their design makes them harder to snag, but deadly in the corner of a fish's mouth.

well i have caught threadies at night time on live herring the little ones and live prawns.

I have caught em in the mornin on live prawns, but not on live fish.

I have never caught em on poddy mullet and thats usually when i get a shark on mullet..

but i would say my favourite bait is live herring and prawns at night or prawns in the mornin.

I caught the bream and threadie (in pic)on prawns, fresh from the castnet, but often i dont cast enough prawns to keep up with the fishin,, the bait comes and goes

I didnt land a cattie today which was good so it must be the luck of the draw, because somtimes thats all i catch

yeah so far im just having some fun and getting out in the mornin for some fresh air and peace,, big fish are just a bonus

ellicat wrote:

flatty_catcher wrote:
I was using 4.0 bait holders, I now have some 4.0 mustad bait holders and some 5.0 mustad suicides.

I go through about 3 or 4 hooks a session. I get a lot of snaggs and bite offs ( mostly snaggs though, some bloody fish pulls me into the snaggs quite a bit, must ne bloody eel or crab?).

Have you tried circle hooks ? Their design makes them harder to snag, but deadly in the corner of a fish's mouth.

nope mainly because of the way i would bait my prawns, but i may give them a go since i found out you can bait the prawn accross the tail and just hook him to keep them alive, rather than skewing the hook up through the whole tail.

so a circle hook would be ideal.

Archived