1st yak fishing trip Wivenhoe.....

Beefa

Well after our maiden voyage Saturday in the Outfitter which was just a test run it was time to do some fishing. Wivenhoe was the venue in the hope of christening the yak with a nice fat bass. After getting the wife out of bed at 5am(she loved that:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) we thru the beast on top and headed off. Got to Logans close to 7am took the yak off the roof went to grab the trolley out of the boot and here is our 1st delema, when we lifted the yak off the trolley to throw it on the roof I forgot to pick the trolley up off the lawn and put it in the boot(lucky it was still there when we got home:ohmy:)

Eventually we hit the water, I rigged the wife up with a purple/black ausspin 3/8oz i think and put on a boomerang 65mm UD in deep purple on mine and away we went. Trolled thru the bay and up the stretch out of Logans up about 3km or so with out even a touch plenty of schools on the sounder. So we turned around I changed colours this time I tried the Hot Tiger(yellow&black stripes) keeped the wifes the same, trolled back to the ramp with out even another touched :angry: :S :dry: .

By this time it was about 11am got out had a stretch a drink a bite to eat and thought a change of tactics was needed so I put a micro min on the wifes purple top/pink belly(purple thing I think) and I tied on a min min in aussie gold and out we go again. We hadn't been trolling long when line starts peeling off my calcutta!!!!! Finally a hook up come on 50cm bass I am thinking to myself and then I see it...

I christened the outfitter with a forktail, very dissapointed none the less it was a PB 1st lure caught cattie I didn't put it on the ruler but I would say high 30's -40cm.

Sorry for the long report for 1 catty.

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Heath [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/various_fishing_003.jpg

post-1898-144598456703_thumb.jpg

Heath,

After watching Tony get 3 fish to my none in the first kilometre of pedalling this morning I changed from an ultra deep to a deep (like Tony's) then started to get plenty of bass. Seems the ultra deeps were running under the active bass & the buggers wouldn't swim down to get them. I did get a couple on the UD but the B65D really cleaned up.

Cheers Schultzy must appreciate that info, I only have UD's so I guess a trip to Tackle Warehouse is a must now and get few in the 65mm deep range is on the cards before heading back out again next time

Once again cheers for the advice

Heath

Well just before I hit "Submit" I read schultzy's post.

I was originally going to post:

Beefa, did you see them on the sounder? I'm no expert, never actively fished/trolled with a sounder but I'd be aiming to have the lure either in amongst them or just above them.

I've never tested it (might this winter when they school up) but I don't think the fish would go down to hit a lure as much as they'd move up a metre or two to strike at a lure.

So, after reading schultzys... Schultzy, do you find that they quite often don't move down for the lure, but will happily come up or at least come up more often than down. That's one thing I've thought about after my fishing efforts in one particular dam. I'm thinking the UDs are too deep as it almost digs a trench. That said, I haven't been able to test it... maybe this week I will :)

TerryH wrote:

Well just before I hit "Submit" I read schultzy's post.

I was originally going to post:

Beefa, did you see them on the sounder? I'm no expert, never actively fished/trolled with a sounder but I'd be aiming to have the lure either in amongst them or just above them.

I've never tested it (might this winter when they school up) but I don't think the fish would go down to hit a lure as much as they'd move up a metre or two to strike at a lure.

So, after reading schultzys... Schultzy, do you find that they quite often don't move down for the lure, but will happily come up or at least come up more often than down. That's one thing I've thought about after my fishing efforts in one particular dam. I'm thinking the UDs are too deep as it almost digs a trench. That said, I haven't been able to test it... maybe this week I will :)

Terry I could see them on the sounder mate when I trolled thru depths of 35-45ft they semmed to be holding in and around 15-25 ft so I thought the UD's would be the right depth but obviously not I jut must of been that couple of feet to deep. Valuable lesson learnt though make sure you have an arrangement of lures to cover all depths dont put all your eggs in one basket I suppose.

It does make perfectly good sense though Terry that they are more likely to rise to take a lure than to go down to hit one when I think about it.

Heath

Yeah well a lure would be easier to see above than below.

Depending on how you're running that boomerang UD, you can get it to about 24ft

So yeah I think a 65D and you would have been on the money - like the father and son duo :P

How did you find the yak? Looked pretty good, nice fishing platform?

Archived