breaking strain of 30lb fireline

i've just bought a new spool of 30lb fireline and did some test.

i was lifting dumbells with 30lb fireline.

i did a uni knot at 1st and found i could lift 10kg but line broke when trying to lift 10kg for 2nd time.

then i tried bimini twist and successfully lifted 10kg without a problem. but line broke when i went up to 15kg. then i did a bimini again and lifted 12.5kg with it fine but line broke when trying to lift 15kg. i've tried 3 times now but not for once could i lift 15kg with it.

i thought the breaking strain of 30lb fireline should be around 50lb but well, i guess i was wrong. any thoughts?

i've tried varivas 23lb

i only tried bimini twist as the knot

i lifted 10kg everytime without a problem but i failed once at 12.5kilo, knot broke.

then i lifted 12.5kilo no problem but line broke later when tried 15kilo.

so varivas 23lb's similar to 30lb fireline in strenght but thinner than 4lb fireline....crazy stuff. still i'll keep 30lb fireline on my reel for the extra abrasion resistance due to thick diameter

30lb fireline is called 30lb for a reason i guess... ;)

while i have found the breaking strain of fireline to be ever so slightly higher than the spool capacity, 50lb breaking strain from 30 lb line is a bit ambitious IMO, under any circumstances with any line. for it to lift 12.5kg, 12.5 x 2.2 = 27.5 pounds, 15kg = 33lb. try lifting something that is 13.63636364 KG which is 30lb and it should work. :P if not, call berkley.

haha, good point benno.

i was expecting the line to lift 20kilo cuz it's said and proved that 1lb fireline can sometimes break well over 1lb, say 1.5-2lb. then 4lb fireline's got breaking strain of 10lb or so. that's why i expect 30lb fireline to break well over 50lb.

but well, i won't put 80lb leader on since this fireline can only take 30lb maximum.

BTW, with the handle added to the weight, 30lb fireline did lift 13.63kilo. lol

Rocket75 wrote:

what really suprises me Kev is that you own dumbells:silly: ;)

Purchased to test line strength mate. Not to lift. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry kev.

Might just be me but personally I'd expect 30lbs to hold 30lbs :huh: :dry: Maybe theres another under the table Japanese law like the one up to a few years ago when no japanese car was released with power ratings above 207KW. When really if you dynoe'd it'd be well above that number on some cars. :cheer: :lol:

Do$tylz wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:

Maybe theres another under the table Japanese law like the one up to a few years ago when no japanese car was released with power ratings above 207KW. When really if you dynoe'd it'd be well above that number on some cars. :cheer: :lol:

actually dostylz it was gentlemans agreement of 206kw :P stupid agreement hahahha cos no one stuck to it

Archived