quick report (nopics)

flatty_catcher

Hey all

Went and droped a line out the back of indro last night caught a small bream a cattie and a 70cm threadie,I actually caught the bream on live prawns and the threadie on live anchovie.

I know they are anchovies because a member by the name of "Brisfisher" has posted one in fish identification.

I had new braid on 14lb with 40 lb black magic leader and it was great stuff, personally I think I could have even gone to 12lb but I guess it pays if you hook somthing really huge.

The threadie put up one hell of a fight :woohoo: , I was wondering if it was because they are a bit livelier in winter as I have hauled in bigger fish in summer that didnt go like this fella.

I kept the fish but am now also leaning towards catch, photo and release for bigger ones, another reason was that when bait fishing for threadies they almost always gulp the hook so far down beyond retreive...

anyways go the light gear!! I havnt even taken my new gloomis and shimano set out for a run yet (it has 8lb braid with 15 lb flurocarbon leader)

I was just wondering I have seen a few posts here about poppers at night time, anyone here tried poppers at night time for threadfin?

I have never used them but I just have a feeling they could be the go for light gear and a bit of fun at the right place and time as I often see bait fish activity at this spot at the right time with a few larger fish breaking the surface.

Another technique I am finding usefull (which I had really discovered by accident), was to cast no further than 3 -5 meters from the bank as long as you got some slightly deep water there I have hooked most of the fish at this spot in that way, it only makes sense as small fish like shelter but big fish like hunting them in these areas because there is less room to get away.

Thats what made me think of poppers, yes lures too but I dread using a 30 dollar lure just to get it snagged on the second cast in unknown waters :( .... still a good option though if your careful

ehh, Sorry to rave on but I love a good yarn especially when the fishing picks up

eh yeah after tax return ill get myself a nice little cheapo camera to take with me, sorry no pics (yeah I love looking at pics too)

regards

Dan

Great report dan.. I was up futher lastnight at Jindalee boat ramp. I was on my boat. Cast net for 2 hours only got a couple of bream in the net. No prawns. Lots of big fish on the sounder. But as i got no bait i could not fish. Ive caught mass amounts of prawns at other times there. maybe thier slowly working thier way up the river again?

I caught the bait at westend off one of the warfs there in the afternoon,I was there for about half an hours casting.

My usual spots didnt yeild anything so I thought I would give it a go and got mostly anchovies, maybe 4 - 5 prawns.

I find live herring or anchovies the go for threadies.

But yeah its a pain when your usual spots don't yeild any bait, and yes I havn't caught a lot of prawns in my usual spots the last few times i tried..

edit: downstream for me, between the bridge and St Lucia, closer to st lucia than the bridge.

Archived