AFO at North Pine Dam 15/6

Feral

Well Alex and I rolled up about 6:10am, to find Clawhammer arriving at the same time. Unpacked the gear, and wandered over to a table full of unlikely looking reprobates loitering at the end of the picnic ground, to find a handful of AFO bretherin chewin the fat. Ray had already headed down to the water, so we followed suit.

Gee the grass is thick at Bullocky's. Made me glad I could not find the 6lb leader, and had to use 10lb!. All up there were about a dozen AFO blokes there, from memory

Ray, Ferg, Alex, Myself, Clawhammer, Kriso, Ash, George(Ozboy?), Tom, Paul, and a couple of others I cant remember.

Fish were fairly thin on the ground this morning, I'll let those who got fish do their own braggin'. Alex and I got a donut, but had a great time. I used quit a few spinnerbaits, plastics, a couple of lures and even a trusty slug, all to no avail. The only thing I lost was the slug, got a good snag out deep, and that was the end of it.

Next time we'll have to have a bbq brunch!

The crew.

R0010860.jpg

R0010859.jpg

It was a good day, nice to catch up with some familiar faces and meet a couple of new.

I was pretty happy with the day, even though i only caught 2. The first was a PB bass of 49 cm( just 1 cm off the 50cm club!) and the other a 44cm Yella. Unfortunetly it wasnt the day for george and saxon to hook up. We've decided that due to the higher water, and plentiful grass, waders will be warn next time. And I think Kriso should def get a pair, crazy dude! [img size=288]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PBBASSNPD.JPG

post-81-144598461729_thumb.jpg

Nice work guys, big effort to get up in the cold and dark to then walk into freezing water:blink:

I bought some Kokoda chest waders today from BigW for $31.00 on special, and christened them this evening at NPD with Aaron and Jase. Waders are worth their weight in gold:)

Being vastly more comfortable then yesterday made up for the fact that the fish were not as co-operative.

The bass we did find were smaller models 25-35cm mostly and there were a lot more fruitless casts between fish.

That said, I still managed 3 bass, (2 on GVibes, 1 on spinnerbait).

Aaron caught more, probably a half dozen or so, all on spinnerbaits.

Just to be different, Jase caught a yellowbelly!

The fat little yella was taken close to the bank on a spinnerbait. This was Faulked first fish on a spinnerbait and he earned it..he was the only one of us that didn't have waders on:S . Well done Jase, big effort.

Most of the fish caught today were taken closer to shore than yesterday, with one bass taking my lure less than 6 foot off the rod tip. I'm not sure who was more suprised, me or the bass.:P

I went armed with a new rod today, an Anaconda 1/2 price special Ironbark 4-7kg, 7 foot one piece spin rod. My first impression has been positive. Plenty of power down low, but light enough in the tip to cast G-vibes a goodly distance.

Compared to yesterday it was a bit of a dissapointment, but that's what makes you enjoy those magic days when they come around.

Rocket

Well i turned up at about 10 to 6 and found the gate already open, after getting the gear ready i said hello to some familiar faces and headed off to the other side of bullockys.

I got 6 or 7 by the time i had walked around the point to where everyone else was, after having a brief chat with some of the guys i headed back over the hill to where i started and managed a few more before heading home.

All fish where mid to low forties and all caught on my "weedless" jackall.

Still no fifties for me unfortunately but a great day out

EMP wrote:

Hi guys,

Were your cars parked at that parking lot just before the Bullocky (coming from Young's Crossings, that is)? I saw a few cars there around 4:30PM. I was so tempted to say g'day. :)

EMP

that was us mate, the white corolla with the AFO sticker was mine:P

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

EMP wrote:
Hi guys,

Were your cars parked at that parking lot just before the Bullocky (coming from Young's Crossings, that is)? I saw a few cars there around 4:30PM. I was so tempted to say g'day. :)

EMP

Rocket

Oh damn, I should have stopped, Rocket. It would have been fun to see you guys again as I really would rarely have the chance to join AFO events because of the four-letter word: WORK. :laugh: I discounted the possibility that it was the AFO guys since there were so many of you and had the impression that it was like a barbeque of 18 families. :laugh:

Anyway, I had a ball myself. I arrived at that bitumen parking lot after Bullocky before 5PM and caught my PB 48cm fat and heavy yellowbelly. My wife enjoyed the meal. :laugh:

Sad sight on the bank though: little bass floating dead. There were around 4 or 5 that I saw. Maybe they got stressed after being released? :(

EMP

Congrats on the yella PB EMP!

Dunno about the bass that went belly-up, perhaps someone was bait fishing and gut hooked them?:dry: Only a guess though.

They are pretty tuff fish, and they normally take off like a shot even after long periods out of water for photos etc.

Rocket

Mack_attack wrote:

any lures hanging off them EMP?

No lures, Mack_attack. They were just floating between twigs and grass and stuff near the bank. They were spread about 3 to 10 meters apart.

At first when I saw one, I thought they were tilapia and was quite ready to grab and remove them from the lake but on closer look, they were bass.

EMP

rayke1938 wrote:

We could see a " family" group of bait fishos there when we were fishing this morning. They were probably the culprits.

Cheers

Ray

Ray, I'm not sure if we have the same "family" in mind. I really don't want to prejudge anyone but I have reason to believe you may be right.

I came to say g'day to the guys and saw a close to 30cm bass and I told one of the blokes that it might be too small for a keeper and he just said, "I don't know, I didn't catch it" and pointed his finger to his buddy somewhere.

Interestingly, before I left around sunset, another bunch of youngish guys tripped over a catfish trapped between the grass. It was fortunately released.

EMP

Rocket75 wrote:

Congrats on the yella PB EMP!

Dunno about the bass that went belly-up, perhaps someone was bait fishing and gut hooked them?:dry: Only a guess though.

They are pretty tuff fish, and they normally take off like a shot even after long periods out of water for photos etc.

Rocket

Thanks, Rocket. :)

I think you may be right on the gut-hooked poor things.

Anyway, here's what I caught late this afternoon after work (yes, I work on Sundays). I don't mean to steal the thunder off anyone but I thought Feral's title of this thread may be apt for any AFO guys who were there today to post: :) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Nokia_pix_261.jpg

post-2597-144598461777_thumb.jpg

A big weekend from everyone at NPD. Good on you all.

This time last year the number of reports from NPD was huuuuuge. With double the member numbers now the mind boggles at how many threads there'll be from NPD over the next few months.:S

Maybe what Feral's done here is a good idea - start a thread on Friday nights for all that weekends reports in one thread.(???)

Rocket75 wrote:

EMP wrote:
Hi guys,

EMP

Rocket

If more people had those it would easy to idetify the group :P :blush:

Angus wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:
EMP wrote:
Hi guys,

EMP

Rocket

If more people had those it would easy to idetify the group :P :blush:

I will get one for myself. :)

EMP

As Rod said it was a bit quieter my best catch being a yella around the 43cm mark right next to the grass and a few rat bass on the auspin garfish colour spinnerbait.

Now for the big test to see whether this photo will work as I am using missus laptop and everything is different:unsure:

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/15062008.JPG

post-266-144598461785_thumb.jpg

some good fish there guys,

My younger brother and I did end up fishin sunday morning too,

started at bullocky rest and managed one bass, about 35cm

before heading over to mcgavins for nothing, came back to bullocky for a bit longer before packing it in at 9.30,

Pity we didnt get more but with the cold weather and the time of year i was surpised anyways :)

Cheers,

Ben

Archived