Caloundra 27-07-08 the early birds report

Schultzy

You’ve read all of the important stuff about Sunday from the other blokes but here’s a little more of the story and some piccies.

After one whole hour of solid sleep the alarm started belting out the Chilli Peppers at 2am. Tony rocked up and, breathing frosty air we hitched the trailer with two kayaks on top and took off.

Arrived at the ramp at Caloundra a wee bit earlier than expected but got stuck into rigging the yaks anyway. While getting gear on board and tied in, I couldn’t help notice some rather large waves cracking across the ramp. Nah, must be an optical illusion due to the lack of light, it can’t be that bad. Still pitch black, at about 5am we decided to launch and troll east and let the rest of the crew meet us out there. I waited for a lull between sets, waded out, jump onboard and paddled out, pleased that I had remained dry. A few yards out I noticed a foamy crest off to port and a dark wall increasing in both height and angle in front of me. Holy Hawaii Five Oh Batman! I unclipped the bungee and started pedalling like I was in the velodrome trying out for the Olympic sprint team. I managed to get over the top before it broke only to see its ugly brother coming along behind…keep a pedalling Maria! Over that one I pushed out far enough to be out of harms way and waited for Tony. Waiting, waiting, waiting…five minutes and still no Tony. It was still pitch black and I was shining the head torch around thinking he might have lost my position in the darkness.

Unknown to me at the time but recounted later; Tony was wiped out by the two big breakers while still standing on the ramp. His yak was picked up and dumped sideways, filled with water and hauled back up the ramp with poor Tony still hanging onto the bow handle. This resulted in a sprained and badly swollen finger, a few scratches and bruises and some lost gear, (just drinks, lights, etc, fortunately.)

Launch achieved we trolled out towards Brays where I hooked up on a trolled Spoonbill, the same lure that took my only snapper the previous weekend. From there we made it out to the blinker unmolested. Just a hint of light in the eastern sky we rigged plastics and drifted across “The Thrilling Fieldsâ€Â. First drift produced only a few taps from tail biters. Second drift I hooked up to an angry fish that turned out to be a snodger snapper on a 5†rigged Bozos Smelt in rainbow trout colour. Another in the mid fifties followed very quickly after and I was hooked up to my third when the other yakkers arrived. You’ve already read about our antics from the others. Tony was hooked up to a big fish for quite a while and had drifted some 60m from the beacon, still not in control of the fish. While I was cruising over to get some action shots his line went limp. I was surprised when Tony shouted over that he’d been done on the beacon. That was definitely a nice fish!

After the other three trolled off, Tony and I stayed to do a few more drifts. I kept getting fish on the Bozos though Tony just kept dropping them. I lost my rainbow trout bozo and tied on a brown trout in the same size and got another 2 on it then we decided to troll back Brays to see how the others were going. Before we hit Brays we spotted the other guys heading in so we just trolled along behind them. Once again a few hundred metres from the ramp I hooked up. This time on a Viper and yes, another average squire.

Trying to beach, I accidentally caught a wave and surfed past the ramp to land on some nice soft rocks beside it. Luckily Biggles had the camera out to record it all.

T’was an eventful day in good company with plenty of action and we took home a feed of top eating fish to boot.

My stats were;

1 on a Predatek Spoonbill – barra blue

1 on a Viper – tango violet

2 on a 5†Bozos Smelt in brown trout

6 on a 5†bozos Smelt in rainbow trout.

Tony landed one on a brown trout Bozos and dropped another four or five.

A nice snapper on a rainbow trout Bozos Smelt.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/afo_8117.jpg

post-108-144598466749_thumb.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very entertaining indeed. I wonder what those tanker crews think about sharing the big blue with those tiny little yaks?:huh:

I had never really heard much about trolled snapper???

Read plenty about SP's, cubing, bottom bouncing, jigging...but not trolling HBs!

Is this a newish phenomenon or just not "trendy" atm ?

kriso wrote:

is that cause his legs arent long enough to get over the sides rofl....

Funnily enough I'm actually more concerned about dangling bits into the water with sharks, than being waist deep with big sharks releasing them... LOL Although I'm not concerned about them when I see them in the water ... go figure ? :S Generally speaking though I'm not concerned about sharks. But as lee said, you don't see me dangling feet in the water :P

I have tried to sit like lee does in his yak.. but it's really not comfortable for me hey. Al sits sideways on his yak to get feet in the water, I haven't tried that, dont really see a point lol might give that a crack one day.

Kriso you're right though :laugh: because my legs aren't long enough it's not comfortable for me to do it, so I rather have them in a more comfortable position which is in the pedals or next to them

Well Lee is somewhat taller than I am, and is also in a yak that is substantially lower in the water, so I guess for him it might be. Also remember he does it for extra stability as well. I'm not saying it's an unstable yak that you HAVE to do it, but he might just feel more comfortable with that extra stability when fighting potentially large fish. I on the other hand dont exactly weigh the revo down, can almost sit on a cork bottle cap and dont need extra stability. :laugh:

Archived